• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump

Spice

StewardshipPeaceIntergityCommunityEquality
Well, if you want to put your own definition of assault to the test, wait until your next encounter with a police officer. If he tells you to do something, give him a little shove backwards. You don't even have to "push past" him and run away. Just put your hand on his chest and push him back. Let me know what happens. I'll patiently wait until you post bail.
That is "battery" not assault.
Battery is touching someone without their concent or permission. Assault is inflicting harm by touching (as well as other ways).

Pogo

The problem is that we already have a criminal case that everyone identifies the label "hush money" and, as you point out, another different case that everyone identifies with the label "election interference". They represent very different criminal charges.

The nature of the charges involving the Stormy Daniels case is somewhat complicated, as the Politico tracking page points out. Trump is alleged to have falsified business records in order to cover up his involvement in the crime that Michael Cohen was found guilty of and sent to prison for. Trump was an unindicted co-conspirator in that crime. The falsification of business records would normally be a misdemeanor, but not if the act was intended to cover up another crime. That is why prosecutors are charging him with a felony-level crime. His payment to Stormy Daniels is alleged to be an illegal campaign contribution to his campaign, and he is alleged to have falsified the payment in order to cover up cheating on his taxes.
We have 2016 election interference and 2020 election interference.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
That is "battery" not assault.
Battery is touching someone without their concent or permission. Assault is inflicting harm by touching (as well as other ways).
Actually assault is the threat. Everyone gets that wrong until they consider "assault with a deadly weapon". If someone just points a gun at you and indicates that they might shoot you that is a threat, or an assault, A person does not have to fire or use a gun or knife, they only have to threaten to do so. Assault and battery is when one threatens and then strikes a person.

Spice

StewardshipPeaceIntergityCommunityEquality
Actually assault is the threat. Everyone gets that wrong until they consider "assault with a deadly weapon". If someone just points a gun at you and indicates that they might shoot you that is a threat, or an assault, A person does not have to fire or use a gun or knife, they only have to threaten to do so. Assault and battery is when one threatens and then strikes a person.
Yes, thanks. I specified "other ways" but was responding to the videoed instance of "pushing".

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Yes, thanks. I specified "other ways" but was responding to the videoed instance of "pushing".
Pushing could be considered "battery" but it usually has to be something stronger. And of course those were not border patrol officers. They are not doing that any longer because that action of theirs was illegal. That means that even if the migrants were charged, and I should correct myself their actions at next gate told us that they are refugees, would have been thrown out of court. If anyone could have been legally charged it would have been the soldiers.