• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump to FBI Director Comey: You're Fired!

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Sophisticated? No. Strategic? No. Ruthless? Yes. Willing to say whatever was necessary to consolidate support with old people, white-nationals, and those who are upset that American culture is changing and their views are no longer "mainstream" ... yes.

Also, it didn't take too much work to get those who hate Hillary Clinton on his side.
I understand that you don't like Trump or his campaign.
But dissing him doesn't address the role of the Electoral College.

As though Hillary weren't ruthless & willing to say whatever was necessary to
get her supporters on board with her own brand of dishonesty & bigotry.
<snicker>

leibowde84

Veteran Member
I understand that you don't like Trump or his campaign.
But dissing him doesn't address the role of the Electoral College.

As though Hillary weren't ruthless & willing to say whatever was necessary to get her supporters on board.
<snicker>
I'm referring to the name-calling, conspiracy theories taken from the national enquirer, lies about crime, lies about immigration, etc.

Hillary wasn't a good candidate. But, she didn't use the same kind of bullying techniques Trump did.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Of course.

I see no inherent advantage to one party or the other.
The effect is either random, or it benefits the one which
campaigns strategically for the winning electoral college vote.
So....
Do you think Trump was just lucky, or did he have the more sophisticated campaign?
The EC has literally only helped republican nominees, it's not random. It's designed that way. Ironically because democratic republicans were afraid federalist abolitionists would gain too much power, so they intentionally gave a leg up to republicans for which slavery was a major selling point. That's right, EC is a vestige of the protection of slavery. And white, slave holding Virginians held the presidency for 36 years afterward.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I'm referring to the name-calling, conspiracy theories taken from the national enquirer, lies about crime, lies about immigration, etc.

Hillary wasn't a good candidate. But, she didn't use the same kind of bullying techniques Trump did.
You jumped into a discussion about the EC.
Anything to say about it?

leibowde84

Veteran Member
I think that the EC was created for good reason, at the time. Now, however, it doesn't make too much sense. Every vote should be given the same exact weight. And, since campaign events can be seen by anyone in any part of the country (or world for that matter), candidates can speak to everyone in less populated parts of the country easily.

Another issue is that where I live in DC, conservatives might as well stay home because their votes do not matter at all. DC is always going to be blue. In NY and CA there is the same problem. Also, the same problem is reversed in many southern, conservative states. Democrats and independents might as well stay home, because their votes are worthless.

leibowde84

Veteran Member
In short, the EC creates more of the same problems that it was intended to solve. And, it seems to benefit the Republicans directly, as highly populated areas tend to go for the Democrats. Because of the EC, it seems that special interests have become far more important than what is good for the country as a whole.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
The EC has literally only helped republican nominees, it's not random. It's designed that way. Ironically because democratic republicans were afraid federalist abolitionists would gain too much power, so they intentionally gave a leg up to republicans for which slavery was a major selling point. That's right, EC is a vestige of the protection of slavery. And white, slave holding Virginians held the presidency for 36 years afterward.
The Republican Party did not even exist when the Electoral College system was designed.
Ref.....
Electoral College (United States) - Wikipedia

And many Democrats were the pro-slavery party before the Civil War.
Ref....
History of the United States Democratic Party - Wikipedia

Republicans opposed slavery.
Ref....
History of the United States Republican Party - Wikipedia

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I think that the EC was created for good reason, at the time. Now, however, it doesn't make too much sense. Every vote should be given the same exact weight. And, since campaign events can be seen by anyone in any part of the country (or world for that matter), candidates can speak to everyone in less populated parts of the country easily.

Another issue is that where I live in DC, conservatives might as well stay home because their votes do not matter at all. DC is always going to be blue. In NY and CA there is the same problem. Also, the same problem is reversed in many southern, conservative states. Democrats and independents might as well stay home, because their votes are worthless.
The EC system can be changed.
Any guesses why even Democrats are largely silent on this?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
In short, the EC creates more of the same problems that it was intended to solve. And, it seems to benefit the Republicans directly, as highly populated areas tend to go for the Democrats. Because of the EC, it seems that special interests have become far more important than what is good for the country as a whole.
I agree it's a dysfunctional system.
Whaddaya gonna do about it though?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Nothing but complain until the Democrats have some power again.
They complained when Bush beat Gore.
They had control when Obama became Prez.
They did nothing at all to address the EC.
This suggests they only dislike it when it works against them.
When it isn't, they don't.
So don't hold yer breath....I think you & I will never see change.

leibowde84

Veteran Member
They complained when Bush beat Gore.
They had control when Obama became Prez.
They did nothing at all to address the EC.
This suggests they only dislike it when it works against them.
When it isn't, they don't.
So don't hold yer breath....I think you & I will never see change.
I agree. But, I still think it should go. It's up to people like me to make it an issue when the Democrats have power again (or even the chance to retake power).

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I agree. But, I still think it should go. It's up to people like me to make it an issue when the Democrats have power again (or even the chance to retake power).
When you get the legal power to ditch it, I'll support you.
(But I won't support you on other things....especially your style of dress.)

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
Of course they could.
There are both state & federal actions they could take to make the popular vote rule.
Action is being taken:

National Popular Vote Bill

"The National Popular Vote interstate compact would not take effect until enacted by states possessing a majority of the electoral votes—that is, enough to elect a President (270 of 538). Under the compact, the national popular vote winner would be the candidate who received the most popular votes from all 50 states (and DC) on Election Day. When the Electoral College meets in mid-December, the national popular vote winner would receive all of the electoral votes of the enacting states."

Currently, the compact has 161 Electoral Votes. The advisory board for the bill is bipartisan, but the bill has primarily been adopted in states that go Blue.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Action is being taken:

National Popular Vote Bill

"The National Popular Vote interstate compact would not take effect until enacted by states possessing a majority of the electoral votes—that is, enough to elect a President (270 of 538). Under the compact, the national popular vote winner would be the candidate who received the most popular votes from all 50 states (and DC) on Election Day. When the Electoral College meets in mid-December, the national popular vote winner would receive all of the electoral votes of the enacting states."

Currently, the compact has 161 Electoral Votes. The advisory board for the bill is bipartisan, but it has primarily been adopted in states that go Blue.
Aye, I know of that one.
It seems no improvement at all.
It might provide even more entertainment & mischief than we have now.

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
Aye, I know of that one.
It seems no improvement at all.
It might provide even more entertainment & mischief than we have now.
I'd prefer states allocate their EC votes proportionally to how the state's population votes.

However, regardless whether you like this particular measure, it provides a different perspective to your statement that "they did nothing to address the E.C." And that, indeed, some state measures are being enacted to address it.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I'd prefer states allocate their EC votes proportionally to how the state's population votes.
I'd like that too.
However, regardless whether you like this particular measure, it provides a different perspective to your statement that "they did nothing to address the E.C." And that, indeed, some state measures are being enacted to address it.
By doing "nothing", I meant nothing substantive.
It's not a powerful movement.