• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump says that Austrians live in forest cities with exploding trees

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Austrian minister to Trump: No, we do not live in forests

The Austrian government has spoken up to correct U.S. President Donald Trump’s claim that people in its country live in “forest cities.”

Trump recently cited Austria and other European countries as models of good forest management that U.S. states like California, which has seen devastating wildfires lately, should learn from.

Calling in to Fox News on Tuesday, Trump said, “You look at countries, Austria, you look at so many countries. They live in the forest, they’re considered forest cities. So many of them. And they don’t have fires like this. And they have more explosive trees.”

I wonder if they rake the forests in Austria.

“There have been both serious and humorous conversations on social media about the ‘exploding trees’ (Trump) mentioned, as well as the fact that he claimed we live within ‘forest cities’ which never catch fire,” Elisabeth Koestinger wrote. “As Austrians, fortunately blessed with a healthy sense of humour, we normally take such clichés about our country in our stride.”

“However, the gravity of current events make Trump’s words much more worrying — after all, right at this moment, thousands of people are fighting horrendous wildfires in life-or-death situations,” she said.

“In reality, Austria is a country situated in the heart of Europe, where people do not live in the forest, but rather with the forest and in a close, sustainable relationship with the natural environment,” Koestinger wrote.

Sustainable management of forests, which cover almost half the nation’s territory, is important, she added, but not because they’re more combustible.

“To clarify: No, we don’t have any exploding trees in Austria,” Koestinger said, though she did confirm Trump’s assertion that “we have found a way to give our trees the space they need.”

Forest cities?

latest

The Ewoks are not amused.

databank_ewok_01_169_747db03a.jpeg

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
This just shows people can't understand the musings of a very stable genius.

Can I just check - is Trump allowed to stand for public office?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I read the article.
Trump said "explosive" trees, not "exploding".
The difference in meaning is significant in the context.
What he said was dumb.
But it wasn't dumb in the way the title makes it.

Excerpted from the linked article...
Calling in to Fox News on Tuesday, Trump said, “You look at countries, Austria, you look at so many countries. They live in the forest, they’re considered forest cities. So many of them. And they don’t have fires like this. And they have more explosive trees.”

Geeze....I'm gonna get accused of supporting Trump again.

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
I read the article.
What he said was dumb.

Does he advise the Americans to live in the forests so fire will be eliminated?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I read the article.
What he said was dumb.

I'd prefer exploding trees. *grin*

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
This just shows people can't understand the musings of a very stable genius.

Can I just check - is Trump allowed to stand for public office?
It just shows a bunch of people have a penchant for being quite the literalists. ;O]

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
I read the article.
What he said was dumb.

For example...in Italian we say : "this city is literally exploding"...and by that we mean that it is expanding with buildings in a chaotic way.
I wonder if in English it is allowed to say that...

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
I read the article.
What he said was dumb.

There are no 'explosive trees' in Austria. The types of trees in Austria are very different than California. For example Creosote shrub trees are explosive and they do not exist in Austria, and because of the climate differences no trees are explosive in Austria., and the do not rake the forests in Finland.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Does he advise the Americans to live in the forests so fire will be eliminated?
I think it was about forest management.
Ameristan has done a bad job of that in several ways....
- Higher than natural density in lumber farming areas.
- Suppressing small fires, which causes a fuel build-up.
- Inadequate building codes for fire survival.

Climate change appears to be exacerbating this problem.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
For example...in Italian we say : "this city is literally exploding"...and by that we mean that it is expanding with buildings in a chaotic way.
I wonder if in English it is allowed to say that...
We could say it.
But we don't.
We do have a population explosion.
But few of us are concerned about that.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
There are no 'explosive trees' in Austria. The types of trees in Austria are very different than California. For example Creosote shrub trees are explosive and they do not exist in Austria, and because of the climate differences no trees are explosive in Austria., and the do not rake the forests in Finland.
Yeah....I'm already aware of the different fauna & practices.
Some of us are interested in such things.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
We could say it.
But we don't.
We do have a population explosion.
But few of us are concerned about that.
But ours is really, really a metaphorical language.
Just think that in Italy, "The shawshank redemption" movie is called " The wings of Freedom"
:):p

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
But ours is really, really a metaphorical language.
Just think that in Italy, "The shawshank redemption" movie is called " The wings of Freedom"
:):p
I'd have titled it....
Andy Sticks It To The Man
What a wonderful movie.
It's re-watchable the way Gattaca is for me.