• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump says he is a nationalist

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
So? There are good nations and bad nations. Which means there are good nationalists and bad ones. You listed a bunch of bad nationalist. American nationalists are the good kind.

You think? Or are you suffering confirmation bias?

Xenophobia is not good
Rallies to stir up hatred for the opposition are not good
A government lying to the public is not good (although you dont need a nationalist to do that)
Attacking the organisations designed to ensure fairness is not good.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I think what he means is he puts America first. This is consistent with everything he has been saying since his campaign.

Also consistent with everything he's been saying is that he is a nationalist because he hates or at least dislikes other nationalities.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
American nationalists are the good kind.
Including the anti-Semitic ones such as we just witnessed in Pittsburgh?

OTOH, "nationalism" does not have a single definition, plus "good" and "bad" tend to be relative to whom is doing the judging.

Also consistent with everything he's been saying is that he is a nationalist because he hates or at least dislikes other nationalities.
If you're referring to the migration issue, his point is that the rule of law should be enforced, which as head of the Executive branch is actually his job description to enforce laws. He also does have a point that people come into the country illegally and commit crimes. Not all of them and he even said that. But it happens and people are harmed by them. So, I don't think that issue proves that he hates or dislikes other nationalities.

metis

If you're referring to the migration issue, his point is that the rule of law should be enforced, which as head of the Executive branch is actually his job description to enforce laws. He also does have a point that people come into the country illegally and commit crimes. Not all of them and he even said that. But it happens and people are harmed by them. So, I don't think that issue proves that he hates or dislikes other nationalities.
Sorry but Trump made it clear what his drift is when he insisted that a "Mexican" judge recuse himself from a case involving him even though the judge was borne here in the States. And look at how he stereotyped "Mexicans"? And look at how he dealt with the Puerto Rican tragedy.

An "object of mercy" he is not, and could you for one minute picture Jesus turning his back on such people that are so desperate?

An "object of mercy" he is not, and could you for one minute picture Jesus turning his back on such people that are so desperate?
I never said he was a Christian. He might have biases, I don't really know. I reserve judgement on many of these "incidents" cited by people (mostly from the political party opposing him) because I really don't know all the facts and everything he was thinking. And neither does anyone else who isn't Trump. There's a biblical teaching that says we ought not judge a matter before hearing the matter through, and hearing the accused. To do so would be the definition of prejudice. I see him getting along with people of varied nationalities. I think the dividing line is political more than anything. I don't think he's the big racist some people are making him out to be. I think he has a bigger ego problem than a racism problem, tbh.

metis

I never said he was a Christian. He might have biases, I don't really know. I reserve judgement on many of these "incidents" cited by people (mostly from the political party opposing him) because I really don't know all the facts and everything he was thinking...I see him getting along with people of varied nationalities.
You probably would have been far better off by sticking to your "I don't really know" statement above as even many in his own party have gotten on his case for so many of the things he's said and done.