• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

True or not true. How do we decide?

We Never Know

No Slack
Take for example this song. Listen to it. Yes its just a song but what the lyrics claim the little girl says she experienced, many kids and adults have claimed similar experiences.

We know the little girl in can't show any evidence for her claim other than her own experience(none in real life can with their experiences either).

So do we just decide its false and made up BS or chalk it up to a maybe because we don't know.

Edit: don't focus on the a song itself, focus on the story it tells. Could it be possible or total BS?

Last edited:

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Take for example this song. Listen to it. Yes its just a song but what the lyrics claim the little girl says she experienced, many kids and adults have claimed similar experiences.

We know the little girl in can't show any evidence for her claim other than her own experience(none in real life can with their experiences either).

So do we just decide its false and made up BS or chalk it up to a maybe because we don't know.

You keep investigating until you know. Such as talking to people and asking them about things. It won't actually tell us what is fact and what is fallacy in the end (though it may help tie in pieces that do), but it is at least good at sorting out those who don't know what they're talking about.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member

This is a music video not evidence. I have no reason to believe it's anything more than a song someone wrote.

Even if other have had real experiences, this could be just fiction.

Now if there's evidence that the song writer interviewed someone and wrote a song from her experience, I'd give it a bit of credence.

We Never Know

No Slack
This is a music video not evidence. I have no reason to believe it's anything more than a song someone wrote.

Now if there's evidence that the song writer interviewed someone and wrote a song from her experience, I'd give it a bit of credence.

Which is why I clearly stated "yes this is just a song".
However also as I stated experiences like those have been told and claimed to have been experienced/happened in real life from kids and adults.

danieldemol

Premium Member

I think the song is nutpicking non-believers, and as such it comes across as a polemic to me.

Its not the testimony of the girl anyway, but ultimately you are correct in that we don't know if she saw Jesus or not. And even if she did whether seeing Jesus means Christianity is exclusively true or not.

But I sure can see the motive in portraying non believers as drug addicted, abusive neglectful killers. As such I feel inclined to dismiss the song as a propaganda piece for Christianity.

We Never Know

No Slack

A week or so ago in another thread I posted where some years back I fell off a 30 foot cliff. Didn't get harmed at all except a few slight red marks.
I was by myself, no witnesses and I won't try to remake it to show it happened. Does the mean it didn't happen?

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
A week or so ago in another thread I posted where some years back I fell off a 30 foot cliff. Didn't get harmed at all except a few slight red marks.
I was by myself, no witnesses and I won't try to remake it to show it happened. Does the mean it didn't happen?
I've had some experiences including someone who had just died communicating with me when I did not know she was sick until later. And I've cited here past lives memories in children.

So for sure people have experiences that are not provable.

Having an experience of one sort or another is one thing. What one does with the experience is another matter and to me key.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
I think the song is nutpicking non-believers, and as such it comes across as a polemic to me.

Its not the testimony of the girl anyway, but ultimately you are correct in that we don't know if she saw Jesus or not. And even if she did whether seeing Jesus means Christianity is exclusively true or not.

But I sure can see the motive in portraying non believers as drug addicted, abusive neglectful killers. As such I feel inclined to dismiss the song as a propaganda piece for Christianity.
I doubt that it was written as an attack on anyone.

I strongly suspect it is merely a "feel good" song.
A story to make Christians feel good about their beliefs.
A way to reinforce their faith in times of doubt.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

Edit: don't focus on the a song itself, focus on the story it tells. Could it be possible or total BS?

True or not, it's going to take more than just a tale told or sung to others.

Heyo

Veteran Member
Yes, and miraculously it is always an entity of the culture/religion they grew up in.

It is such an obvious Christian propaganda piece that it can't be true. In theory we'd have to say that it is very, very unlikely to be true but in practise, even that scientific honesty would be misplaced.

We Never Know

No Slack
Lets step it up a little.... If tagging members is wrong, delete my post instead of giving me a warning, please and thank you. The three I tagged are the three I converse the most with. So......

@Polymath257. If you were beach fishing and hooked a sailfish bigger than your body but it broke your line... If no one else saw it, did it really happen?

@Subduction Zone if your were hiking in the mountains and a grizzly came up to you and gave you a high 5 then walked away,...
If no one else saw it, did it really happen?

@Shadow Wolf if you were out walking and saw a wolf, deer and a raccoon walking together helping each other.,.. if no one else saw it, did it really happen?

What, if any evidence could you produce to show it actually happened?

Last edited:

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
If someone had an experience that is a close friend or family member of yours and they share it with you, but cant show you evidence it happened, are they full of crap?
Well yea. But I'd likely not be so colorful in expressing it.

I wouldn't doubt sincerity, but I would be skeptical of substance from any claim a family member, friend, or whomever has that is out of the norm.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Lets step it up a little.... If tagging members is wrong, delete my post instead of giving me a warning, please and thank you. The three I tagged are the three I converse the most with. So......

@Polymath257. If you were beach fishing and hooked a sailfish bigger than your body but it broke your line... If no one else saw it, did it really happen?

@Subduction Zone if your were hiking in the mountains and a grizzly came up to you and gave you a high 5 then walked away,...
If no one else saw it, did it really happen?

@Shadow Wolf if you were out walking and saw a wolf, deer and a raccoon walking together helping each other.,.. if no one else saw it, did it really happen?

What, if any evidence could you produce to show it actually happened?
Pictures? Everyone and their mother has a mini camera on them at all times these days. :shrug:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
There are experiences and there are fantasies. How do you differentiate between them without any evidence. So, just let them go. Why should we take and how can we take a position? Let us talk when we have some evidence.

Brian2

Veteran Member

One of the best arguments for the reality of Jesus is the changed lives because of Him, changed for the better that is.
I don't think that can be said for atheism.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member

Does her belief that that man on the cross was there the night her parents died have any impact on you or your life?

If not, then it's not for "we" to decide.

Pete in Panama

...the changed lives because of Him, changed for the better that is. I don't think that can be said for atheism.
What, as if some atheist produced a row of folks who insisted that they were far better people as atheists, that would make u say OK, atheism's better. No it wouldn't because my bet is that your mind's made up --but that doesn't explain how we decide things, it only shows how we keep from changing our minds w/ new info.

How we make decisions. Salesmen understand that we generally decide things on an emotional level a few seconds after we're given the choice, and all the logical banter that follows is merely to satisfy the need that often comes up for a solid rationalization to defend the emotional decision.

There are better ways of doing things but that question hasn't been raised yet.

PureX

Veteran Member

I see no reason that I should even consider whether the story is factually accurate. IT'S A STORY.

I don't sit around wondering if the Star Wars Trilogy is factually accurate or not. In fact, such a question would not even cross my mind. Nor do I contemplate the historical accuracy of a Shakespeare play. So why would I do so with this song? Why would anyone?

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member

Sure. But don't expect anyone else to believe you. Sounds like a Big Fish story to me.

If I came to you with that story, would you believe me or think I was exaggerating?

Now, if that broken line had some DNA on it from a sailfish, that would help my case immensely. If sailfish were rare in the area, then that would hurt my case.

And if I said the sailfish was magical sang 'Hey, hey hey, Goodbye' as it swam away after taking me to the secret sailfish city at the bottom of the ocean, I suspect you would say I was either lying or delusional.