• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trick-or-treating should stop at the age of 13

One should stop trick-or-treating at the age of

Votes: 1 4.8%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Death

Votes: 17 81.0%

• Total voters

VioletVortex

I don't see any reason why anyone should be prevented from participating in a fun activity based on their age. That's bull****. What is stupid is when dumbass kids go around and take more candy than they should, or trick or treat without wearing a costume. People who steal bowlfulls of candy should be legally prosecuted. The reason I didn't trick or treat this year was because my friends wanted to do that.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
I just noticed the picture that goes along with the story. And I can't believe no one pointed this out earlier

thinkstockphotos119424357.jpg.CROP.promo-xlarge2.jpg

I can't give this women candy? Are you kidding me? If she comes to my door asking for candy I am going to give her candy. I don't care what day of the year it is.

Deidre

If the costume is super creative, you might not be able to tell someone's age, and they could be 75 years old...trick or treating. :openmouth:

YvonneMariane

Oh I liked your post! I've laughed at the occasional end-of-the-night sullen teen with dumb mask.. shame and want mingling. But at this point, I feel how ****ty modern life is for them, and think "if they want candy and miss the whole thing yet KNOW society has been clear that child-like joy is no longer their right, poor things, then have some candy and a smile". They may not show it, but love always is good for anyone.

"Were I queen of the world, Halloween would be a holiday for children and children only. Childless adults would no longer be allowed to tarnish their dignity and steal kids’ thunder by donning Superman, cat, and sexy Ken Bone costumes in late October. No one who’s graduated from middle school would ever feel any peer pressure to make or buy a get-up that’s cleverer, creative, intricate, or risqué than everyone else’s get-up. Adults would wear street clothes on Halloween, and all would be right with the world.

Here’s what I can argue with a straight face: Older teenagers who go trick-or-treating are abnormal and perhaps even more harmful to the social fabric than adults who dress up. The normal age to retire from trick-or-treating is 13, tops. I know it, you know it, and the sheepish 17-year-old wearing a Trump mask and demanding candy on your front stoop knows it.

Thirteen is a good age to stop trick-or-treating for many reasons. There’s the symbolic unluckiness of 13, which seems appropriate for a holiday devoted to death and doom. There’s the fact that 13 is already a transitional age in many cultures, with rites of passage like bar and bat mitzvah marking the metamorphosis from child to adult. Most importantly, there’s the fact that 13 is the last plausible age at which a kid could sincerely get excited about dressing up and trick-or-treating. After 13, children transform into jaded, surly, rebellious jerks, as predictably as the onset of menses and the deepening of boys’ voices.

Teens who trick-or-treat, you see, aren’t motivated by the same independence-seeking and joyful self-expression that motivate younger trick-or-treaters. Teen trick-or-treaters see trick-or-treating as a sort of scam—a way of sticking it to the man by obtaining the man’s candy without having to pay the man."
source

YvonneMariane

So sad to hear all these "bah humbug, evil, pagan, nasty, unhygienic, unsafe" comments about halloween trick or treating.
You don't understand the WHOLESOME JOY it creates for children, parents, AND THE NEIGHBORS who ordinarily do not get to interact with the youths in their hoods.
Things can be done with good intentions, and discernment.

"Were I queen of the world, Halloween would be a holiday for children and children only. Childless adults would no longer be allowed to tarnish their dignity and steal kids’ thunder by donning Superman, cat, and sexy Ken Bone costumes in late October. No one who’s graduated from middle school would ever feel any peer pressure to make or buy a get-up that’s cleverer, creative, intricate, or risqué than everyone else’s get-up. Adults would wear street clothes on Halloween, and all would be right with the world.

Here’s what I can argue with a straight face: Older teenagers who go trick-or-treating are abnormal and perhaps even more harmful to the social fabric than adults who dress up. The normal age to retire from trick-or-treating is 13, tops. I know it, you know it, and the sheepish 17-year-old wearing a Trump mask and demanding candy on your front stoop knows it.

Thirteen is a good age to stop trick-or-treating for many reasons. There’s the symbolic unluckiness of 13, which seems appropriate for a holiday devoted to death and doom. There’s the fact that 13 is already a transitional age in many cultures, with rites of passage like bar and bat mitzvah marking the metamorphosis from child to adult. Most importantly, there’s the fact that 13 is the last plausible age at which a kid could sincerely get excited about dressing up and trick-or-treating. After 13, children transform into jaded, surly, rebellious jerks, as predictably as the onset of menses and the deepening of boys’ voices.

Teens who trick-or-treat, you see, aren’t motivated by the same independence-seeking and joyful self-expression that motivate younger trick-or-treaters. Teen trick-or-treaters see trick-or-treating as a sort of scam—a way of sticking it to the man by obtaining the man’s candy without having to pay the man."
source