• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tree of Good and Evil

Bob the Unbeliever

Adam was told that he may eat from any tree in the Garden except one: The Tree of the KNOWLEDGE of Good and Bad.

So. In your story, your god DELIBERATELY and with MALICE, sets up a MENTAL INFANT to fail?

Because without KNOWLEDGE?

Adam was INNOCENT-- incapable of understanding ANYTHING about Morality.

But your god punishes him... ANYWAY? Because he was NAIVE? [ignorant]

Wow... that has GOT to be the most EVIL thing I've read all day!

Bob the Unbeliever

Neither the long-standing Bible and Bible people are myths because the warning is Not for future gods to follow but a warning for people to ' repent ' if they do Not wish to ' perish ' (be destroyed) according to 2 Peter 3:9.
In the past God used the political/military realm to go up against even God's un-faithful people at the time of ancient Babylon and in the year 70 when the Roman armies destroyed un-faithful Jerusalem in the year 70.
So, that past pattern shows there is No reason to doubt that once again God will use the political/military realm as His Arm of the Law to carry out His purpose. With backing the United Nations can be strengthened to become God's modern-day Arm of the Law to carry out His will for Earth, and for God to bring to ruin those ruining Earth (literal and moral) according to Revelation 11:18 B.

Dude! You can NOT use your CLAIM as "proof" of your CLAIM.

Google Circular Reasoning Logical Fallacy.

Kelly of the Phoenix

A good tree cannot bear bad fruit and a evil tree cannot bear good fruit.
The problem is that this is untrue.

that the ' evil ' part was: Death.
What is evil about death?

So, I think the ' evil ' part was the loss of everlasting life for them, loss of living forever on Earth.
They could've actually eaten from the Tree of Life and skipped that punishment altogether.

Then, by breaking God's Law Adam took the Law out of God's hands, and placed the Law into man's hands and set up People Rule as being superior to God Rule.
Meh. Long distance governing or laissez-faire governing doesn't work anyway.

The sin of Adam and eve was one of rebellion and lack of trust in God.
Why trust Someone who isn't being entirely honest about the real reason they couldn't eat it?

they listened to Satan instead an obvious murderer
Satan isn't in that story and all the serpent did was reveal the REAL reason: the fruit gave superpowers and God didn't want to share. God confirms this later. And even if Satan were in this story, how is he an "obvious murderer"? There are two people on the planet, implied by Genesis. By the end of the story there are still two people. Who was murdered?

sin is evildoing and they are the first sinners
It also says that God knows the heart. Meaning: Motive is everything. Adam and Eve CAN'T sin because they had no "informed consent" way of obeying. Eve can't even parrot the rule she was never given (having been created post rule-giving) correctly. Cain, likewise, can't be accused of murder because the concept hadn't been established yet. This is why despite disobeying, Adam and Eve can still live to be almost a thousand years old despite God's threats and Cain can walk away with the ability to found civilization despite offing his brother.

If God would Not have taken the Flood action then No one righteous would have been left on Earth.
His righteous man immediately got drunk, lay around naked, and then cursed a grandson who had nothing to do with the discovery of said bender. God has strange standards.

Those violent people would have killed/murdered the righteous ones,
Kittens and infants were all serial killers? Really?

David T

Premium Member
The whole problem of Hitler and the Hitlers of the world has been looked at in Literature over and over.

And answered.

One of the more creative examples, IMO, is the movie Hellboy: according to Destiny or Fate or Design, Hellboy was an "evil tree" (to use the OP). He was created specifically to do Great Evil.

Is that what happened? Nope: Hellboy got to Choose-- and he Chose Wisely.

Again, in the stories of Harry Potter: Harry was very much like Voldemort. He had many of the same powers. He was somewhat skeptical of Authority. Rebellious and so forth.

But Voldemort was Evil, and Harry was Good.

Why? Because of the choices each made with the skills they had to work with.

We are not good or evil because of what we are, or who we were born to, or even where.

We are good or evil because of the choices we make.

A Tree cannot Choose. It just Is.

Only Sentient Beings have the ability to Choose. Which is why I classify as "human", only sentient beings-- regardless of their beginnings or design.
But trees are total passive agressives they are plotting to take over the world they are waiting for our extinction!!! I am coming back as a tree I want to land in the white house and grow up through the roof. It appears on our current projection a very doable goal. Its hard to predict though rabbits are tenacious.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
reply to post # 44

No, kittens and infants are Not killers ( serial or otherwise ) however, according to 1 Corinthians 7:14 parents are responsible for minor children. In other words, those people of Genesis 6:11 were so violent to be past the point of repenting or reforming to the point that to me God who can read hearts knew those minors would have grown up violent just like their parents, then No one righteous would be left on Earth.

Sleeppy

Fatalist. Christian. Pacifist.
reply to post # 44

No, kittens and infants are Not killers ( serial or otherwise ) however, according to 1 Corinthians 7:14 parents are responsible for minor children. In other words, those people of Genesis 6:11 were so violent to be past the point of repenting or reforming to the point that to me God who can read hearts knew those minors would have grown up violent just like their parents, then No one righteous would be left on Earth.

Inefficient and wasteful.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Inefficient and wasteful.

I would say those violent people of Genesis 6:11 were inefficient and wasteful.
Wasted their time and energy on being violent besides an inefficient use of their time and energy on violence.
I don't see anything inefficient and wasteful found in the words of 2 Timothy 3:13 because the world scene is showing people going from bad to worse in acts of violence today to the point that in one country (I think it was Italy) a firecracker went off and caused such a panic that people rushing fleeing the area hurt others including a child.

Sleeppy

I would say those violent people of Genesis 6:11 were inefficient and wasteful.
Wasted their time and energy on being violent besides an inefficient use of their time and energy on violence.
I don't see anything inefficient and wasteful found in the words of 2 Timothy 3:13 because the world scene is showing people going from bad to worse in acts of violence today to the point that in one country (I think it was Italy) a firecracker went off and caused such a panic that people rushing fleeing the area hurt others including a child.

Is it possible to honor father and mother, without first receiving honor from them? -- How is it that all flesh from least greatest, know God?

Creation doesn't vindicate the Creator; rather, the Father vindicates the Son.

This idea that God destroys righteousness along with wickedness is blasphemy- even murder. If you love your brother, you do so because of God; to claim credit, is self-righteousness, or theft of God's glory.

But, Jesus was a pacifist. Elijah was a murderer, needing to be reborn, into one like John, another pacifist. Jesus' disciples asked him to call fire from heaven to destroy, and consequently, he identified who the Adversary is to the Son of Man. Most of the kings, prophets, priests, judges, soldiers, men and women before these men where murderers, speaking in God's name. The kingdom of heaven is burglarized with violence.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Is it possible to honor father and mother, without first receiving honor from them? -- How is it that all flesh from least greatest, know God?
Creation doesn't vindicate the Creator; rather, the Father vindicates the Son.
This idea that God destroys righteousness along with wickedness is blasphemy- even murder. If you love your brother, you do so because of God; to claim credit, is self-righteousness, or theft of God's glory.
But, Jesus was a pacifist. Elijah was a murderer, needing to be reborn, into one like John, another pacifist. Jesus' disciples asked him to call fire from heaven to destroy, and consequently, he identified who the Adversary is to the Son of Man. Most of the kings, prophets, priests, judges, soldiers, men and women before these men where murderers, speaking in God's name. The kingdom of heaven is burglarized with violence.

I can agree that honor is learned from first receiving honor.
All flesh can know God. Either through Scripture or by people hearing Scripture.
So, during Jesus' coming 1,000-year governmental rulership over Earth begins, then everyone who lived before Jesus can, at that millennial time frame, know God.
God does Not destroy anyone righteous, it is the wicked who will be destroyed forever according to Psalms 92:7.
Jesus was Not a pacifist but Jesus was neutral. Jesus did Not take sides in the political realm. Even Jesus' first-century followers did Not even get involved in the issues of the day between the Jews verses the Romans.
The reason I say Jesus was Not a pacifist is because Jesus, as King of God's Kingdom government, will take the action of Isaiah 11:3-4; Revelation 19:14-16; 11:18 B, in that the executional words from Jesus' mouth will bring to ruin those bringing ruin to Earth. Literal and moral ruin. The righteous will remain - Matthew 25:37 - and be part of the humble meek who will inherit the Earth as Jesus' promised at Matthew 5:5. Thus, Jesus will vindicate his Father.

Sleeppy

I can agree that honor is learned from first receiving honor.
All flesh can know God. Either through Scripture or by people hearing Scripture.
So, during Jesus' coming 1,000-year governmental rulership over Earth begins, then everyone who lived before Jesus can, at that millennial time frame, know God.
God does Not destroy anyone righteous, it is the wicked who will be destroyed forever according to Psalms 92:7.
Jesus was Not a pacifist but Jesus was neutral. Jesus did Not take sides in the political realm. Even Jesus' first-century followers did Not even get involved in the issues of the day between the Jews verses the Romans.
The reason I say Jesus was Not a pacifist is because Jesus, as King of God's Kingdom government, will take the action of Isaiah 11:3-4; Revelation 19:14-16; 11:18 B, in that the executional words from Jesus' mouth will bring to ruin those bringing ruin to Earth. Literal and moral ruin. The righteous will remain - Matthew 25:37 - and be part of the humble meek who will inherit the Earth as Jesus' promised at Matthew 5:5. Thus, Jesus will vindicate his Father.

None of this is substantiated. Jesus died a pacifist, denouncing violence at every instance. There is no argument.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
None of this is substantiated. Jesus died a pacifist, denouncing violence at every instance. There is no argument.

I find Jesus' role was ' Not that he was the solution himself ' but here to preach and teach as Luke 4:43 says.
Jesus instructed making the whole world know about the kingdom government of Daniel 2:44 that God's kingdom is the solution. That solution would be ' future '. So, while on Earth Jesus was ' neutral ' to world affairs, and as his job was to let others know that, and that would also be the spiritual work of his followers as mentioned at Matthew 24:14.

According to what I notice at Isaiah 11:3-4; Revelation 19:14-16 Jesus' action at that 'future time' is Not as a pacifist, nor being neutral, but that the executional words from Jesus' mouth will rid the Earth of wickedness. In other words, Jesus' followers will Not have to fight because Jesus, as king of God's kingdom (Hail to the Chief) along with angelic armies will do the fighting for the sake of justice for the righteous.