• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Treason?

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Besides this article, I heard Richard Painter, former adviser to George Bush, speak last night stating the urgent need of a bipartisan investigation, preferably independent, because we may already have been in serious risk of having our state secrets, including possibly military secrets, being forwarded to Russia:

"The former ethics lawyer for George W. Bush believes the FBI investigation into the Trump campaign’s alleged ties to Russia has uncovered evidence of treason.

Richard Painter, who joined a lawsuit challenging the constitutionality of President Donald Trump’s foreign business ties, tweeted a link late Wednesday to a McClatchy report on a federal investigation into whether U.S. right-wing websites coordinated with Russian operatives to attack Hillary Clinton.

“(The) FBI uncovering evidence of treason,” Painter said. “There is no other word for it.”

Painter also agreed with Sen. John McCain (R-AZ) that an independent commission or select committee was needed to investigate possible collusion between Russia and the Trump campaign.

“Senator McCain is right – Congress has no credibility in undertaking the Trump-Russia investigation,” Painter tweeted.
-- https://www.rawstory.com/2017/03/th...czar-says-fbi-uncovering-evidence-of-treason/

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
How are you defining treason? Isn't it like giving aid or comfort to the enemy in time of war, like Nixon with the Paris peace talks, for example?

metis

How are you defining treason? Isn't it like giving aid or comfort to the enemy in time of war, like Nixon with the Paris peace talks, for example?
That word came from Painter, per the link.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
No doubt this 'evidence of treason' will turn out to be the nothing-burger de jour.

That said, it is highly entertaining to watch an avowed Democrat cite an ethics lawyer for George W., LOL. Too funny, really.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
How are you defining treason?
In this case, it would be selling out USA security to a business partner(s).
I believe that is the reason Trump was so cagey about his finances and so unconcerned about appearance of propriety. He has a lot to hide and is accustomed to the safety of being a private citizen. He could hide things and lie with impunity before he was president.
But now he can't.

To quote another RF thread, who is to blame? The lion, or the people who let the lion in? And more importantly, what do we do now?

Tom

metis

No doubt this 'evidence of treason' will turn out to be the nothing-burger de jour.

That said, it is highly entertaining to watch an avowed Democrat cite an ethics lawyer for George W., LOL. Too funny, really.
You have a very odd sense of humor to somehow think this is funny, and for you to push that this is just partisan politics defies even basic logic as he is a highly respected professor who was selected to advise President Bush, not a Democrat.

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
Even if we can't fully trust Congress, what about our IC? The FBI is still investigating. If they find some hard evidence, then Confress won't be able to sweep it under the rug.

Personally, I think we (meaning democrats/liberals) need to take a deep breath and a step back. If we keep screaming that the sky is falling, and the sky continually fails to fall, our credibility sinks to that of the Republicans during Obama's tenure.

I agree. I don't take most of the politicians in Washington seriously anymore. This is all part of a political game to either contain Trump, so he is limited in what he can do, or to eventually get rid of him.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Hilary is supported by the Saudis, where's your outrage on that?
So you are really angry with Hillary, and so that means an ongoing investigation into the actions of a sitting present should not be considered.

MD

qualiaphile
So you are really angry with Hillary, and so that means an ongoing investigation into the actions of a sitting present should not be considered.

I'm not angry, just find it kinda hypocritical to criticize foreign involvement from one angle but not the other.

leibowde84

Veteran Member
It doesn't have to be during war time. It's just offering aid or support to our enemy, more or less. Russia is definitely our enemy, or at least our adversary.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm not angry, just find it kinda hypocritical to criticize foreign involvement from one angle but not the other.
She gets plenty criticized in other threads. This is about an ongoing investigation that's current. Maybe you have a paranoid feeling that the Democrats are just out to get your candidate. They probably would be, but this appears to be of concern to the Republicans and Democrats both. I'm interested, because nukes are involved. Pretty much any thing that might cause the nukes to go off is worth investigating.

MD

qualiaphile
She gets plenty criticized in other threads. This is about an ongoing investigation that's current. Maybe you have a paranoid feeling that the Democrats are just out to get your candidate. They probably would be, but this appears to be of concern to the Republicans and Democrats both. I'm interested, because nukes are involved.

My candidate? My God the strawmen here on RF are insane.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
My candidate? My God the strawmen here on RF are insane.
Not a strawman dude.
You brought up an expolitician as though she matters. She doesn't.
Hillary had Saudi connections, just like Trump and nearly everyone in this gas pig nation of ours.

We are talking about Trump and his likely Treason.
Tom

MD

qualiaphile
Not a strawman dude.
You brought up an expolitician as though she matters. She doesn't.
Hillary had Saudi connections, just like Trump and nearly everyone in this gas pig nation of ours.

We are talking about Trump and his likely Treason.
Tom

Gas pig, lol.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
I agree. I don't take most of the politicians in Washington seriously anymore. This is all part of a political game to either contain Trump, so he is limited in what he can do, or to eventually get rid of him.

I.E. "Trump hails from my corner of the political spectrum, thus can do no wrong. (Never mind that even members of his own party consider him corrupt and incompetent.)"

Ethics and principles should come well before partisan loyalty. Don't cling to denial at the expense of integrity.