• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Treading the Light Fantastic: Einstein Challenged

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Seems strange that a photon setting off yesterday should travel at a different speed than one setting off today.
Thats what I read slowing down over time to mean.

The second meaning could be: that a photon sets off at what we call the speed of light, but as it travels it is acted upon, over millions of years,by some force that slows it down.
I would have thought it would be quite easy to measure the speed of light arriving from a distant galaxy.

If on the other hand they mean light is propagated more slowly now than it was at the time of the big bang:That will take quite some explaining.

Terry__________________________
Amen! Truly I say to you: Gather in my name. I am with you.

Relativity has been challenged many many MANY times since the beginning of the 20th century, and it's still going strong.

What's unfortunate is that since radical changes make for more interesting reading than confirmation, if this speculation fails to amount to anything, it's unlikely that the success of relativity will be as widely publicized as the challenge set before it.

Cowrebellion

I've heard of it before but fundamentally General relativity is so simple that it is almost impossible to debunk. anyway many people do not take c to be the speed of light per se. It is a constant used in GR and just so happens to be the same as the speed of light as it is measured.