• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Transgenderism

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
In the US, yes, there are.

One random person isn't evidence of "lots".

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Then most likely not true Transgenderism. Parents start noticing this early in the child's life. Also sometimes there is confusion on whether they are gay or transgender.
If I think of trans people here in my country, it deals with people who used to be gay. And then they transitioned.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
In the US, yes, there are.

One example doesn't make a case.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
I dunno about that. I grew up immersed in fundamentalist Christianity and I'm still in regular contact with it, and while there are occasional mentions of the US being a "Christian nation", I've never gotten the impression that it was a significant driver of their hate and authoritarianism. In fact, I'd say the belief is more a result of their authoritarian tendencies.

I'd say it has more to do with the belief that the Bible is quite literally the word of God. I think sometimes folks underappreciate just how significant that is. Think about it for a sec.....the....word....of.....God. If one truly believes that with all their heart, then it's a small step for someone with authoritarian tendencies to try and mandate that everyone live by it, whether they believe it or not. It's the word of God after all, right?
I can't say that I know everything about it. When I was Christian, I didn't think about those things. I wasn't very assertive with evangelizing. I mostly just talked to my family.

Any literalism is going to be coupled with authoritarianism, as there is no wiggle room. You must believe certain things.

rocala

Hey @InChrist there is a lot of good stuff on this post of yours. It must be more than a little challenging as so far you are not looking to good. But that is ok, life is full of challenges. What is not ok is your absence in your own post. I would suggest that you either come out here and accept that you are wrong or you defend your position. To put it simply - grow a pair.

Treasure Hunter

Gender is not subjective. It is objective and there are ways of measuring and testing it. In fact, our modern notions of gender are required to explain certain findings in neurology, psychiatry, anthropology, and social psychology. Gender isn't something that someone can change. In fact, if that were the case, I bet many transgender people would rather be cisgender, but they can no more control their gender than they can control their natural eye color or their anatomical sex. It is just as fixed and rooted in biology.
I touched on this in another thread, but I cannot take this claim — the idea that gender is not subjective — seriously.

Gender is not this unique identity that doesn’t follow the pattern of other identities, in which we can, on a subjective level, dis-identify or identify. Sure, identities are imposed on us: biologically, socially, etc, but we can then either dis-identify or identify (subjectively) with those imposed identities. At a subjective level, we are dis-identifying and identifying with people and experiences all the time.

I suspect this is a defense response to protect against detransitioners by writing them off as not “true” or “actual” transgender persons, or by further positioning transgender people as victimized and oppressed (by their imposed transgender identity) in order to garner more support. Either way, undermining the situation with un-truths does nobody good in the long run.

Jose Fly

Fisker of men
Some of them no doubtedly. Many are born into it. The idea of leaving it is often deeply terrifying, even if you want to leave. So some are stuck in an abusive relationship.
I was born into it and had no trouble at all walking away from it. Of all the kids in our family and in our church who were about my age, in hindsight it wasn't too difficult to predict which ones would stay and which ones would leave.

I would think those looking for more love and less Hell would tend to go elsewhere, especially adults who can more freely choose church attendance.
Yep. The ones who were, even as kids, rather hateful and.....well, to be honest, not the brightest bulbs in the box are all still fundamentalists. Of the ones who were more empathetic, intellectually curious, and open-minded, none are fundamentalists. Some moved to different denominations while others walked away from Christianity altogether (e.g., me).

Soandso

ᛋᛏᚨᚾᛞ ᛋᚢᚱᛖ
Stats and numbers of what, specifically?

What shocks me is that in the United States so many heterosexual cisgender people become trans just like that.
This is highly suspicious.
I think that there is a culture that indoctrinates heterosexual cisgender people.

Define "so many." Where is this happening a lot in the US? I've never known anyone to do this, and I live in a left leaning part of the country and know openly trans folks. Not saying it don't happen, but the language you use exaggerates in a way that seems unhinged from reality and seems based on lies perpetuated from a certain group of people who spread fear mongering

If it isn't just more fear mongering, I wanna see the stats that this is happening a lot