• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Transgenderism

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
I like Captain Picard. He's not perfect but he owns up to his faults, and though the image is highly idealistic (to ends that at times just don't seem human at all), he's still a representation of the better side of humanity as he leads his crew through many adventures.
The story itself does so well that it was able to pull a John Lennon behind the scenes where there was an issue with the mistreatment of women. But, even so his songs are of good things and we can still say his songs like Imagine are asperations.
I think this part of his character was a reflection of Picard having an artificial heart, having been stabbed through the heart early in his career, making him almost Vulcan-like.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
What shocks me is that in the United States so many heterosexual cisgender people become trans just like that.
This is highly suspicious.
I think that there is a culture that indoctrinates heterosexual cisgender people.
Is it a culture which shoehorns people into being het-cis or is it a counter-culture which lures them into transitioning?

Soandso

What shocks me is that in the United States so many heterosexual cisgender people become trans just like that.
I think that there is a culture that indoctrinates heterosexual cisgender people.

Define "so many." While there's no doubt that some trans folks are forced into a cisgender life they don't want to have and only after they can't stand it anymore finally get out of it and transition, all the trans folks I know personally did so early on and avoided this fate. Then again, where I live there is less social pressure to conform to societal norms and people are a little more free to just be themselves

That said, if someone were trans but living a cisgendered life, I wouldn't know - so there's that

Ella S.

Dispassionate Goth
Why it is wrong?

I'm going to assume you're asking this question in good faith and, if you are, then the other replies have probably not been adequate explanations.

First and foremost, the Bible does not mention transgender people. It does show that gender and sex are different by, for instance, referring to sexless supernatural beings as male and female, but for the most part it does not delve too deeply into gender at all. To try to extrapolate a position on gender from a text that doesn't really talk about it is sort of nonsensical from the get-go. The Bible no more has a position on trans people than it does on the correct way to make a taco, because it's simply not an issue the Bible addresses at all.

Secondly, the "biological reality" is not "male and female." Biology includes a wide range of people who are intersex. There are people who are born that do not clearly fall into either category, including people who are born with both sets of primary sex characteristics (genitals).

Thirdly, anatomical and chromosomal sex are not the same as gender. Gender is a facet of one's neurology, not one's anatomy or chromosomes. For instance, if someone is born with both sets of genitals but has their male genitalia removed at birth, they are then assigned female by those present and become socialized as female regardless of their biology. They will likely express themselves as female, such as by wearing female clothes. That's gender, not sex.

Fourthly, trans women are often more at risk of being the victims of violence than cis women are. The post has it almost in reverse. Cis women are more of a threat to trans women than trans women are to cis women. In a broader sense, this is also the case when it comes to the rhetoric of the so-called "trans-exclusionary radical feminists" or TERFs who not only spread transphobia but incite people to act on their hatred of trans people.

This is just the first two sentences of this post. It gets worse.

Gender is not subjective. It is objective and there are ways of measuring and testing it. In fact, our modern notions of gender are required to explain certain findings in neurology, psychiatry, anthropology, and social psychology. Gender isn't something that someone can change. In fact, if that were the case, I bet many transgender people would rather be cisgender, but they can no more control their gender than they can control their natural eye color or their anatomical sex. It is just as fixed and rooted in biology.

Autism is not caused by "bad family dynamics." It's genetic. It also doesn't make much sense to say that autism precedes gender dysphoria because, for one, they are separate disorders. Not every trans person is autistic. Secondly, the diagnostic criteria of autism focuses on early childhood, whereas gender dysphoria does not place as much of an emphasis on this, so comparing the data of the two disorders in this way is sort of apples to oranges. Dysphoria could be, and likely is, present from birth, but that's just not a factor in how we evaluate whether someone is suffering from it.

Minors can be diagnosed with gender dysphoria, just as they can be diagnosed with ADHD, depression, anxiety, etc. This is a good thing, because it means that the suffering caused by dysphoria can be addressed in therapy early on. It also reduces the risk of suicide among LGBT youth, which is extremely high due to the social stigma they face and their inability to cope with that on top of the already miserable experience of gender dysphoria. It is not an attack on truth to take someone to therapy when they are struggling with a lack of proper coping strategies; that is plainly ridiculous.

It's secondarily absurd that the complaint about words like "male" and "female" not having any meaning anymore completely ignores the scientifically documented truth of the existence of gender and intersex people. In context, this is basically lying. It's the people who deny the reality of transgender people that are trying to obfuscate the truth.

At the very end, it refers to "transgenderism" as if "transgender" is some sort of ideology rather than a blunt fact about the way some people's brains are. It's like saying "I don't believe in dementiaism" or "I don't believe in sleepism." It's one thing to be ignorant, but it's another thing to weaponize your ignorance against people who are suffering and in need of medical intervention and social support.

This whole post is evil, in the sense that it callously causes needless harm and seems to almost sadistically revel in demonizing and attacking trans people.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
I like Captain Picard. He's not perfect but he owns up to his faults, and though the image is highly idealistic (to ends that at times just don't seem human at all), he's still a representation of the better side of humanity as he leads his crew through many adventures.
The story itself does so well that it was able to pull a John Lennon behind the scenes where there was an issue with the mistreatment of women. But, even so his songs are of good things and we can still say his songs like Imagine are asperations.
Oh, me too! Captain Kirk is way too flawed. JL was a musical genius.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
True transgenderism is not "just like that." There are reasons that some people are drawn to acting like they are trans, just as some hetero people engage in homosexual sex for a time. It serves a purpose, but is not truly those "conditions," for better lack of a term right now.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
I'm going to assume you're asking this question in good faith and, if you are, then the other replies have probably not been adequate explanations.

First and foremost, the Bible does not mention transgender people. It does show that gender and sex are different by, for instance, referring to sexless supernatural beings as male and female, but for the most part it does not delve too deeply into gender at all. To try to extrapolate a position on gender from a text that doesn't really talk about it is sort of nonsensical from the get-go. The Bible no more has a position on trans people than it does on the correct way to make a taco, because it's simply not an issue the Bible addresses at all.

Secondly, the "biological reality" is not "male and female." Biology includes a wide range of people who are intersex. There are people who are born that do not clearly fall into either category, including people who are born with both sets of primary sex characteristics (genitals).

Thirdly, anatomical and chromosomal sex are not the same as gender. Gender is a facet of one's neurology, not one's anatomy or chromosomes. For instance, if someone is born with both sets of genitals but has their male genitalia removed at birth, they are then assigned female by those present and become socialized as female regardless of their biology. They will likely express themselves as female, such as by wearing female clothes. That's gender, not sex.

Fourthly, trans women are often more at risk of being the victims of violence than cis women are. The post has it almost in reverse. Cis women are more of a threat to trans women than trans women are to cis women. In a broader sense, this is also the case when it comes to the rhetoric of the so-called "trans-exclusionary radical feminists" or TERFs who not only spread transphobia but incite people to act on their hatred of trans people.

This is just the first two sentences of this post. It gets worse.

Gender is not subjective. It is objective and there are ways of measuring and testing it. In fact, our modern notions of gender are required to explain certain findings in neurology, psychiatry, anthropology, and social psychology. Gender isn't something that someone can change. In fact, if that were the case, I bet many transgender people would rather be cisgender, but they can no more control their gender than they can control their natural eye color or their anatomical sex. It is just as fixed and rooted in biology.

Autism is not caused by "bad family dynamics." It's genetic. It also doesn't make much sense to say that autism precedes gender dysphoria because, for one, they are separate disorders. Not every trans person is autistic. Secondly, the diagnostic criteria of autism focuses on early childhood, whereas gender dysphoria does not place as much of an emphasis on this, so comparing the data of the two disorders in this way is sort of apples to oranges. Dysphoria could be, and likely is, present from birth, but that's just not a factor in how we evaluate whether someone is suffering from it.

Minors can be diagnosed with gender dysphoria, just as they can be diagnosed with ADHD, depression, anxiety, etc. This is a good thing, because it means that the suffering caused by dysphoria can be addressed in therapy early on. It also reduces the risk of suicide among LGBT youth, which is extremely high due to the social stigma they face and their inability to cope with that on top of the already miserable experience of gender dysphoria. It is not an attack on truth to take someone to therapy when they are struggling with a lack of proper coping strategies; that is plainly ridiculous.

It's secondarily absurd that the complaint about words like "male" and "female" not having any meaning anymore completely ignores the scientifically documented truth of the existence of gender and intersex people. In context, this is basically lying. It's the people who deny the reality of transgender people that are trying to obfuscate the truth.

At the very end, it refers to "transgenderism" as if "transgender" is some sort of ideology rather than a blunt fact about the way some people's brains are. It's like saying "I don't believe in dementiaism" or "I don't believe in sleepism." It's one thing to be ignorant, but it's another thing to weaponize your ignorance against people who are suffering and in need of medical intervention and social support.

This whole post is evil, in the sense that it callously causes needless harm and seems to almost sadistically revel in demonizing and attacking trans people.
There are eunuchs in the Bible, but I guess they were used as attendants to queens in prior religions.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Well, that is a fundamentalistic claim itself, so you have be taken over by Satan. ;)
I think we have different understandings of what fundamentalism is. I would say it qualifies as Satanic more than medical matters like transgenderism, because the fruits of fundamentalism does more harm than good. Even though you may have a few who find some good in it, by and large fundamentalism as an approach to religion or anything else for that matter, is poisonous.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
I think we have different understandings of what fundamentalism is. I would say it qualifies as Satanic more than medical matters like transgenderism, because the fruits of fundamentalism does more harm than good. Even though you may have a few who find some good in it, by and large fundamentalism as an approach to religion or anything else for that matter, is poisonous.

Yeah, I get it. But even with the variance of what makes a democracy a democracy, I am a fundamentalist in the sense that in my opinion there is not better for a modern society than democracy.
But I can't prove that, give evidence for it or any other variant to that effect in the end.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
True transgenderism is not "just like that." There are reasons that some people are drawn to acting like they are trans, just as some hetero people engage in homosexual sex for a time. It serves a purpose, but is not truly those "conditions," for better lack of a term right now.
When you see women becoming men for some years and then they marry a man and have children with him...come on...
It's very confusing. Not to say twisted.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
In Italy there must be a culture that disavows critical thinking and embraces willful ignorance and intellectual dishonesty. :pizza:

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
There are no lots of cis-hets becoming trans.
In the US, yes, there are.