• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tradition before Scripture

pearl

I tend to think it's not black & white to the point whereas if one questions it's accuracy that it puts one outside the Church. The exception to the rule is that if one is teaching while representing the Church, such as a priest or a teacher in the RCIA program, they must teach the Trinity as accepted and taught by the Church.

Yes, as priest or catechist one is speaking with the authority of the Church. We all have questions and opinions as do the Church's own theologians.
I have many of my own on positions of the Church; homosexuality, birth control, the ordination of women etc., I am only speaking of 'core' beliefs, not the formulation which as dogma is open to development.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Yes, as priest or catechist one is speaking with the authority of the Church. We all have questions and opinions as do the Church's own theologians.
I have many of my own on positions of the Church; homosexuality, birth control, the ordination of women etc., I am only speaking of 'core' beliefs, not the formulation which as dogma is open to development.
Since I'm in the lunatic-leftist element within Catholicism, I question everything. But commitment I can and am doing w/o reservation.

To me, p.c. is less of a concern that is doing what Jesus and the Church teaches we should do, and the Sermon On the Mount especially is my #1 guide, but it is certainly not the only one.

Neutral Name

No.. The gospels were written after 70 AD.. Acts was written a little earlier.. early to mid 60s AD.

They have found much older texts in Sumer and in Ras Shamra. Not the gospels, of course.. but the creation story and flood story and Psalms.

Thank you. Very interesting information and I try to keep up with the latest findings. I have wondered about the fact that people were mixing and mingling in the middle east before the Old Testament/Jewish Books were written.