• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

totems (is that spelled right?)

smrtlauf

Hi,

I have a question but I think I have to give you my background of this subject before I actually ask it. My background is basically this...I know nothing, or at least very little, about this topic, however I recently started working in a Native American jewelry store. I find it facinating. I have very little resources to study from though. The store is mainly consisted of Zuni and Navajo, but because we are in Minnesota we do have a small selection of Ojibwe. Ok..for my question..

In the store we sell Totem figures..I dont have a clue as to what they represent...but I have had several customers come in and say "my totem spirit is....." my question is what is a totem spirit and whats the background for them.

thanks,
smrtlauf aka Miranda

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
Different tribes had differnet ways of dealing with totem spirits. The basic idea is that you have one or more spirits that help and guide you through your life. They act much the same way as 'guardian angels' and as teachers and guides.
Some tribes gave you your totem uppon birth, some at a coming of age ceremony, some you saught your totem personally. Some used a combination of all of these. The sioux had a vision quest for young men during wich they saught a vision and a 'totem'.
For many tribes the totem was personal thing that you didn't share with anyone. (this is how I feel)
The actual name totem is north west coast in origen. It has sence become 'pan-indian'.

I hope this a good start... I'll post more later when I have time. :D

wa:do

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
In some tribes, a totem is seen as a representation of your spirit. The 'man on the street' usually has 3-4, while those who work in other worlds (shamans, priests, etc) can have hundreds. Sometimes one finds their totem through vision work (as Painted Wolf described), in other cases your totem follows you around physically until you recognize it (for example, having dozens of ravens be around wherever you live, despite the fact that they're not common to the area). In some cases, mythical animals can even be a person's totem.

Scott1

** Just want to jump in and say thanks.... it's so wonderful to have such a diverse group here to answer questions. **

Love you two!

Scott

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
Whoops, forgot to mention something! (You can't tell I love this subject, can you?) Sometimes a persons' totem is so prominent that they even reflect it in their features, the way they carry themselves, or their attitude about life. If you happen to glance at my personal page, I'm standing with a man whose totem is the bear. It's pretty hard to deny that he looks fairly bear-ish!

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
ok, I hate to do this feathers.. but I'm going to have to disagree on the number of totems.
Most people I know have only one. (most people I have met that have more than 2 either simply can't pick an animal or want a totem that is 'cool')
I think that you may be confusing totems and spirit guides.

Totems are deeply meaningful and stay with you through your life. Spirit guides can also be important, but they are usually around to teach specific lessons and can come and go.

I do agree about people and thier totems having things in common. ;)

kreeden

Virus of the Mind
Ladies , I believe that you may be disagreeing over terms here , little else . :) Although I tend to agree with Painted Wolf { I think that few would have 3 or 4 } , but aren't there also family Totems , clan Tolems and the like ? I know that they aren't quite the same thing , but just thinking that the term has many uses . And you are going to hate this part PW , but many New Agers refer to " Power Tolems ", which are what you are refering to as a Totem , I believe . They call guides totems too . Ok , that is New Age . :) But a friend belongs to a Bear Clan , and he calls Bear his Totem , although he has another , personal Totem also . In the Northwest , many of the " totems " you see are family Totems . Raven , Wolf , Frog and all . { not that I'm bias or anything , but I love the artwork } .

BTW love your title PW , but I think that you lost the " l " in wolves .... ?

edited to add : Sorry , just noticed your sig .... :)

kreeden

Virus of the Mind
I have a couple of questions about Totems .

Last summer I started looking for a traditional image of a cougar . { in the Northwest tradition , curced lines , red and black } . Well , not only haven't I been able to find one , but I have not even been able to find anyone who has seen one . ??? Anyone know why ? Or has anyone ever seen any ?

Also , I have been told that insects and the like are NEVER Totems . Why ? I mean some have been quite important in First Nation stories . Spider for excample . Not only has the Weaver given us { and I mean us in a very general sense } the Dream-catcher , but some say that she have us light , by getting the sun . { in , Raven is given that honour , but still } . So why couldn't Spider be a Totem ?

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
I know someone who has Butterfly as his totem.:jam:
I guess it may be specific to a certen tribe to not have insects, but I can't say that I have heard this as an 'absolute' rule.

I'll keep an eye out for your cougar image... cant say as I've seen one myself.

Master Vigil

I have 6 spirit guides, but they are all wolves. So I would say the wolf would be my totem. My girlfriend has 2 spirit guides, one of which is a panther, and the other is a tree. But I am not sure what a native american would call her totem. The panther is much more powerful, and more personal. But doesn't protect her as much as the tree spirit does. What do you think guys?

kreeden

Virus of the Mind
I know a person who is very much a Butterfly . :) But she also says that Monkey plays an important part in her life . { notice that I don't say that either one is a totem } .

Butterfly ? That would be a very interesting Totem , I think . I believe that I read that about insects not being Totems . Quite sure of it . Personally , I can't see why , so I asked . Thank you for your reply Painted Wolf . And I hope that you are able to finf a cougar . They are wonderful creatures . :)

Hiya Mister V. How did your report go ? Now I'm no expert on Totems or anything , but I wonder why a tree can't be as powerful as a cat ? I'm crossing beliefs here ... again , but the Celts also had Spirit guides , some of which were trees , were they not ?

Mmmm , I recall reading that Totems can sometimes take on human form , and plant form . Perhaps that is what is happening with your friend ? Just a thought . What say you Painted Wolf ?

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
in some tribes I have heard that plants, rocks, mountains, and weather could all be totems.. but I'm not 100% sure if they really were totems per say or if they were 'spirit guides' and teachers.

One problem with the 'popularity' of native terms is that thier meanings have become jumbled with ideas from other groups and cultures.

I'll see what I can find out.

kreeden

Virus of the Mind
:) That they have Painted Wolf . It is that way , I believe , when any two cultures come together . The actual meaning of the terms are kinda watered down into something that the other culture can understand . Being Canadian , I see it with the French and English even . The terms just don't translate that well sometimes .

BTW , I believe that in South American , they used plants and the like more often then in NA , but I could be mistaken .

martha

I have tried to connect with my Totem and I have come close. What I need is more discipline in my meditation.

Regarding the loss and mix up of history and legends, I say that is very sad. I believe that if a soul has the advantage of knowing the historic language and stories of their heritage, then it is their responsibility to share with the young. If we do not share our language and stories with our youth, these beautiful parts of who we are will be lost forever. We have become so wrapped up in the present that we have forgotten our past. Our past and the stories of it is what we are made of, it is where we come from and we should never forget.
Even if we don't have access to children often, we should at least write down these stories and share them with the local library or some such organization.

Preservation of one's history lengthens one's history. Just my humble opinion.

Joyfully,
Martha

Master Vigil

My idea of spirits were only taught to me by my spirit guides. Then I tried to see how similar it was to other cultures ideas. I find they are extremely similar (all of them), just the terms and how they are used are different. My background may very well be Zingari (italian gypsy), and their ideas of nature and nature spirits are extremely similar to what my wolves have taught me. So who knows.

kreeden

Virus of the Mind
:) I too believe that there is an underlaying similarity Mister V . However , one has to respect others views too . And respect the differences . Sometimes , the differences can be as important as the similarities . After all , this part of the forum is on " Native American " beliefs . { and believe me , I'm having a hard time staying on topic :) }

Perhaps another thread on animal guides in general is in order ?

Martha , the problem with a verbal tradition is that , well , it wasn't written down . And when it was , it usually was written by another culture ... But many stories do remain . I have been thinking of sharing one of my favorites for some time now , but .. well , the story isn't really mine to share , if that makes sense ?

Master Vigil

I agree kreeden that the differences should be respected and understood. But if one focuses more on the differences and not the similarities, perhaps the respect would not happen.

kreeden

Virus of the Mind
At the risk of going completely of topic ... :) There is a political slogan here " Celebrate the difference " . { it's a multi-cultural slogan } .

Of course , both should be respected Mister V. :)

methylatedghosts

Can't brain. Has dumb.
So I guess it's up to the individual whether their totem represents Who They Are or whether it represents Who They Could Be?