• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Torturing terrorists to save innocent lives...

HoldemDB9

Do you agree with it? I personally am very surprised at just how much the vast majority of people are against it. I know people who are innocent could get tortured, this is a problem. But if we were absolutely certain that a terrorist held information that could save even just one innocent life, then I say torture them, even medieval style if its going to save lives.

Of course, this would be the VERY LAST resort.

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
Do you agree with it? I personally am very surprised at just how much the vast majority of people are against it. I know people who are innocent could get tortured, this is a problem. But if we were absolutely certain that a terrorist held information that could save even just one innocent life, then I say torture them, even medieval style if its going to save lives.

The problem is that I don't think you could ever be 100% sure that the person holds the information you need.

Additionally, information or confessions achieved through torture are always a bit suspect. You can't know whether the information was real, or if the person just said something to get you to stop.

I do think people balk at the idea of torture simply because it is so heinous. Find a different way to get your information; keeping torture open as an option only stifles creativity.

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member

I remember two of our Airmen who were captured during the Iraqi war who were tortured
by Saddams cronies and made to appear on TV,IMO i am against torture as we would be the same as those scumbags,however sleep depravation is as far as i would go.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Even if it worked, it still would allow too much room for abuse. What if they turned out to be innocent? And how easy would it be for the government to label any random person a "terrorist" just to pull their fingernails off with a pair of pliers?

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler

So you are basically saying that its ok to use terrorist tactics on terrorists in order to stop terrorists from using terrorist tactics because terrorists tactics are wrong unless used on terrorists?

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend HoldemDB9,

Torturing terrorists to save innocent lives...

Any act by itself never can be declared as right and wrong.
It is a depended on each situation.

The objective should be to remove total terrorism from the MINDS of people and the IRONY here is that RELIGION is used as a tool to train terrorists when Religion should rather be used to JOIN humans together as one race.
Love & rgds

Mjolnir

As others have said, these are tactics terrorists use. How can we say torture is wrong if we do it ourselves? It is very hypocritical. Besides that fact I believe that every person, no matter who or what they have done, don't deserve torture. Resorting to torture is basically admitting that the people you are torturing are not even human because who can do whatever the hell you want with them to get the information you want. It is just plain wrong.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member

Yikes! It is so naive to think a person under torture is going to tell you the truth.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
So you are basically saying that its ok to use terrorist tactics on terrorists in order to stop terrorists from using terrorist tactics because terrorists tactics are wrong unless used on terrorists?
I am against torture. I am also against sophomoric 'cleverness.' Equating the torture of expected terrorists with terrorism adulterates the term and thereby renders a service to terrorism.

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
I just wonder how many people realise that when the military is not allowed to interrogate enemy combatants, there will not be much incentive to take them alive.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I just wonder how many people realise that when the military is not allowed to interrogate enemy combatants, there will not be much incentive to take them alive.

Are you saying there's not much use in interrogating folks if you can't torture them?

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
I'm not sure what you are getting at then. Nobody's denying the army the right to interrogate enemy combatants; you just have to modify your methods of interrogation to not include torture.

And we all know that torture is really about perverse gratification and little else.

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
And we all know that torture is really about perverse gratification and little else.
I could see that. Sometimes when you get so angry about not getting what you want, you lash out physically. Putting the power to torture into the hands of angry people who feel completely justified in getting what they want seems to be a bad combination.

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
I'm not sure what you are getting at then. Nobody's denying the army the right to interrogate enemy combatants; you just have to modify your methods of interrogation to not include torture.

I believe the definition of torture is vague. All I am saying is, I believe the military will be taking less prisoners in the future.