• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tort Reform....Anyone Else Interested?

Nous

Premium Member
Judge Evans ruled correctly in this case. Anti-SLAPP statutes conflict with Federal Rule 12, and the latter trumps, as the Supreme Court will eventually hold. Carbone certainly didn't fail to state a claim that is plausible on its face. Indeed, considering the extensive evidence cited, I think there's even a good chance he could win this case.

The big problem with anti-SLAPP statutes is that they screw up discovery, as would have been true in this case. There is some amount of discovery that Carbone needs to do, which he would have been prevented from doing by an anti-SLAPP strike. Discovery is often necessary in order to establish a probability greater than facial plausibility of prevailing. As in this case, defamation suits are often cases of David versus Goliath. It isn't fair to stack the deck further in Goliath's favor. I can't imagine why anyone would suggest a general rule that allows dismissal of a case before there is discovery.

Let's say I sue @4consideration for child support for my son, @BSM1 , claiming she's his mother,

[. . .]

A fact is in dispute (his being our son), so it would go to trial.
I filed this frivolous suit in order to coerce her into paying me $50K, to go away.
I expect her to win, but I'd also expect her to pay $100K+ in legal fees.
Such extortion is currently both legal & common.
Courts don't sanction the predatory party.
(That would be bad for business, since all judges are lawyers before & after being a judge).
Your scenario here is false and disanalogous in every possible way. Claiming that 4consideration is the mother of your child isn't a First Amendment Speech issue, and, moreover, you wouldn't be able to proceed in Family Court very far with mere baseless assertions. 4consideration would not need to spend a dime in order to defend against a baseless complaint, which will end with the DNA test. .

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Judge Evans ruled correctly in this case. Anti-SLAPP statutes conflict with Federal Rule 12, and the latter trumps, as the Supreme Court will eventually hold. Carbone certainly didn't fail to state a claim that is plausible on its face. Indeed, considering the extensive evidence cited, I think there's even a good chance he could win this case.

The big problem with anti-SLAPP statutes is that they screw up discovery, as would have been true in this case. There is some amount of discovery that Carbone needs to do, which he would have been prevented from doing by an anti-SLAPP strike. Discovery is often necessary in order to establish a probability greater than facial plausibility of prevailing. As in this case, defamation suits are often cases of David versus Goliath. It isn't fair to stack the deck further in Goliath's favor. I can't imagine why anyone would suggest a general rule that allows dismissal of a case before there is discovery.

Your scenario here is false and disanalogous in every possible way. Claiming that 4consideration is the mother of your child isn't a First Amendment Speech issue, and, moreover, you wouldn't be able to proceed in Family Court very far with mere baseless assertions. 4consideration would not need to spend a dime in order to defend against a baseless complaint, which will end with the DNA test. .
Way to miss the point.
A rebuttal isn't worth the effort.

Nous

Premium Member
Way to miss the point.
A rebuttal isn't worth the effort.
Yes, it would be quite an effort to rebut anything I said because there is nothing to rebut. The anti-SLAPP laws will soon be history (at least in federal court).