• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Today! Public debate on atheism draws protest from Westboro Baptist Church

KittensAngel

Boldly Proudly Not PC
The University Daily Kansan

By Ian Cummings

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Members of the Westboro Baptist Church plan to visit campus Friday and picket a public debate on atheism, according to the group’s online schedule.
Students have created a Facebook page to organize a counter protest. Daniel Held, a junior from Seattle, will collect donations for Planned Parenthood as he did in April 2010, raising $350 when Westboro Church protested the Brown Bag Drag event during Queers & Allies’ Pride Week. Held said Planned Parenthood was a worthy cause, but he also hoped it would upset the Baptist protesters.
“That’s like, double the fun,” Held said.(Full Article)

*Anne*

Bliss Ninny
ReasonFest will continue on Saturday with “Sex and Secularism,” a presentation of research on the sexual attitudes and practices among people who have left religion. Psychologist Darrel Ray will present the results of a national survey of 14,500 formerly religious people.
And this is what I want to know. Are atheists pervs? :p

FlyingTeaPot

Irrational Rationalist. Educated Fool.
Oh well, this is what makes free societies great. People are free to be as stupid as they like.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Of all the groups Westboro could picket & provoke, we must be least offended or interested.
At least it keeps them away from grieving families at funerals.
I'd love to attend a counter protest, & carry a large sign attached to my hoe that reads "MEH....".

AfterGlow

Invisible Puffle
According to Louis Theroux's latest documentary, Phelp's Church could be on the verge of collapse as the younger members become disenchanted with the insanely strict rules of their cult.
Might not be long before these protests are consigned to the history books.