• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Today is Stir Up Sunday

exchemist

Veteran Member
In the English (Anglican) tradition, today, the last Sunday before Advent, is known as "Stir Up Sunday". This is because the Collect for the day, in the Common Prayer Book begins: "Sitr up, we beseech thee, O Lord, the wills of thy faithful people......"

It is also, by tradition, the day on which the Christmas puddings are made, the process for which involves a good deal of stirring up, of a very heavy mixture of dried fruit, flour, breadcrumbs, spices, suet, eggs, beer, etc.

I have just done mine. The puddings are now in their basins, in gently boiling water, where they will stay for the next 8 hours, after which they will go in the cellar until they are reheated and turned out onto a plate, one on Christmas Day and one at some further point during the twelve days of Christmas.

Last edited:

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
In the English (Anglican) tradition, today, the last Sunday before Advent, is known as "Stir Up Sunday". This is because the Collect for the day, in the Common Prayer Book begins: "Sitr up, we beseech thee, O Lord, the wills of thy faithful people......"

It is also, by tradition, the day on which the Christmas puddings are made, the process for involves a good deal of stirring up, of a very heavy mixture of dried fruit, flour, breadcrumbs, spices, suet, eggs, beer, etc.

I have just done mine. The puddings are now in their basins, in gently boiling water, where they will stay for the next 8 hours, after which they will go in the cellar until they are reheated and turned out onto a plate, one on Christmas Day and one at some further point during the twelve days of Christmas.

More than a couple of months ago i made a couple of seasonal fruit cakes with many of the ingredients used in puddings, dried fruits and nuts and mixed to about the same consistency before baking.
Since then i have been feeding them cognac twice a week and last weekend layered them with apricot jam and marzipan.

Yesterday i made a bowl full of royal icing leaving it to mature overnight. This morning kneaded the icing and spread it on the cake.

Next task, leave the icing to set before decorating and leaving to mature.

Phew, close to 3 months work for a cake to top dinner on 23rd. (The other will be eaten through the week of Saturnalia

Perhaps I should call it kneady Sunday

exchemist

Veteran Member
More than a couple of months ago i made a couple of seasonal fruit cakes with many of the ingredients used in puddings, dried fruits and nuts and mixed to about the same consistency before baking.
Since then i have been feeding them cognac twice a week and last weekend layered them with apricot jam and marzipan.

Yesterday i made a bowl full of royal icing leaving it to mature overnight. This morning kneaded the icing and spread it on the cake.

Next task, leave the icing to set before decorating and leaving to mature.

Phew, close to 3 months work for a cake to top dinner on 23rd. (The other will be eaten through the week of Saturnalia

Perhaps I should call it kneady Sunday
My next problem will be for where to source boudins blancs, which by my wife's tradition we have with apple for supper on Christmas Eve, before Midnight Mass. Our London butcher used to do them but his supplier has stopped. We have a family party coming up in an industrial suburb of Paris (Gennevilliers!) and I am thinking of a day in Compiegne while we are over (can go with my son to see that railway carriage etc). It will be a Saturday so maybe I can get some in the market - and perhaps some nice crystallised fruit - mandarines particularly good.......

ChristineM

Premium Member
My next problem will be for where to source boudins blancs, which by my wife's tradition we have with apple for supper on Christmas Eve, before Midnight Mass. Our London butcher used to do them but his supplier has stopped. We have a family party coming up in an industrial suburb of Paris (Gennevilliers!) and I am thinking of a day in Compiegne while we are over (can go with my son to see that railway carriage etc). It will be a Saturday so maybe I can get some in the market - and perhaps some nice crystallised fruit - mandarines particularly good.......

Make them yourself if you have no luck
Boudin blanc maison par Alain Ducasse

I dont know about up north but here the big thing is crystallised chestnuts. Had them for the first time last year, very nice.

ChristineM

Premium Member
Marrons glacés - yes. I have a chestnut liqueur I bought in Morzine (skiing) which makes a rather unusual kir.

This area is more walnuts so are the liqueurs. You can get chestnut liqueur in supermarkets but not being a huge fan of alcohol have not got round to trying any.

exchemist

Veteran Member
Make them yourself if you have no luck
Boudin blanc maison par Alain Ducasse

I dont know about up north but here the big thing is crystallised chestnuts. Had them for the first time last year, very nice.
Interesting, but that is exactly the sort of French recipe that makes me reach for my Italian cookery book! I'm not pratting about with all that, just for boudins, when I have presents to wrap and all manner of other things to do. No, I'll try my luck au marché à Compiegne.

ChristineM

Premium Member
Interesting, but that is exactly the sort of French recipe that makes me reach for my Italian cookery book! I'm not pratting about with all that, just for boudins, when I have presents to wrap and all manner of other things to do. No, I'll try my luck au marché à Compiegne.

Hope you are traveling by car, airport customs can be a bit funny about carrying meat products as i found out when trying to take saucisson across for my mother

exchemist

Veteran Member
Hope you are traveling by car, airport customs can be a bit funny about carrying meat products as i found out when trying to take saucisson across for my mother
Yes when we go to Paris we generally put the car on the shuttle. Compiegne is just off the A1 about 60km North of Paris, so barely a detour. But I don't see why even the airlines would be funny about shipping meat products between EU member states - unless they thought it might be disguised explosive! You've had the Underpants Bomber and the Shoe Bomber: now comes the Sausage Bomber.......nah, I don't think so, really.

Milton Platt

It is also, by tradition, the day on which the Christmas puddings are made, the process for which involves a good deal of stirring up, of a very heavy mixture of dried fruit, flour, breadcrumbs, spices, suet, eggs, beer, etc.

It is interesting how religions accumulate traditions and rituals over time.

exchemist

Veteran Member
It is interesting how religions accumulate traditions and rituals over time.
Actually I think this is an example of the inverse: how Christianity punctuated the year for the people of former times and added a religious element to secular traditions. The pudding business has nothing religious about it - just something nice to eat in the depths of winter when the only fruit available had to be preserved. Religious observance ran gently through their lives in a way that we have mostly lost. I also do my bit by decorating the Christmas tree just in time for Christmas Eve and keeping it up until Epiphany i.e. for the twelve days, as they used to do.

By the way I have found by experience that my Christmas puddings do taste better if made about a month ahead, so this Sunday is a good prompt to get on with it. (I don't like to make them earlier as, not having a sweet tooth, I use only 75% of the sugar in the recipe and I've found they will eventually go a bit mouldy after about 3 months.) Mind you, in the Catholic church there is nothing about "Stir up": it is the feast of Christ the King, to mark the end of the liturgical year. So I need to remember the Stir Up Sunday tradition for myself if I want them to be at their best.

Milton Platt

Actually I think this is an example of the inverse: how Christianity punctuated the year for the people of former times and added a religious element to secular traditions. The pudding business has nothing religious about it - just something nice to eat in the depths of winter when the only fruit available had to be preserved. Religious observance ran gently through their lives in a way that we have mostly lost. I also do my bit by decorating the Christmas tree just in time for Christmas Eve and keeping it up until Epiphany i.e. for the twelve days, as they used to do.

By the way I have found by experience that my Christmas puddings do taste better if made about a month ahead, so this Sunday is a good prompt to get on with it. (I don't like to make them earlier as, not having a sweet tooth, I use only 75% of the sugar in the recipe and I've found they will eventually go a bit mouldy after about 3 months.) Mind you, in the Catholic church there is nothing about "Stir up": it is the feast of Christ the King, to mark the end of the liturgical year. So I need to remember the Stir Up Sunday tradition for myself if I want them to be at their best.

You have me curious about Christmas puddings......

Well, no, it isn't the inverse. Everywhere Christianity has been forced upon other societies with other beliefs, the locals have incorporated some of their old beliefs and rituals into the beliefs and rituals associated with Christianity.

exchemist

Veteran Member
You have me curious about Christmas puddings......

Well, no, it isn't the inverse. Everywhere Christianity has been forced upon other societies with other beliefs, the locals have incorporated some of their old beliefs and rituals into the beliefs and rituals associated with Christianity.
OK maybe I expressed it badly. But such things aren't an incorporation of old rituals or belief into Christian ones. The appropriate word for this sort of thing, surely, is "tradition".

Christmas puddings are mediaeval in origin (rather than pre-Christian), from a time when religious observance played a part in setting the calendar for the life of ordinary people. This has given rise to a lot of traditions and terminology that persist. Legal and some university terms are still Michaelmas, Lent and Trinity, we have our Michaelmas daisies and Christmas rose, our Easter and Whitsun holidays, Shrove Tuesday (pancake day), Hallowe'en, many non-Catholics still eat fish on Fridays, etc.

Milton Platt

OK maybe I expressed it badly. But such things aren't an incorporation of old rituals or belief into Christian ones. The appropriate word for this sort of thing, surely, is "tradition".

Christmas puddings are mediaeval in origin (rather than pre-Christian), from a time when religious observance played a part in setting the calendar for the life of ordinary people. This has given rise to a lot of traditions and terminology that persist. Legal and some university terms are still Michaelmas, Lent and Trinity, we have our Michaelmas daisies and Christmas rose, our Easter and Whitsun holidays, Shrove Tuesday (pancake day), Hallowe'en, many non-Catholics still eat fish on Fridays, etc.

Yes, things are indeed incorporated into Christendom. Yes, once they become habitually practiced for a number of years, they become traditional. If something pre-exists the practice of Christianity in a given culture, and is added to the practice of Christianity in that culture at a later date, then it has, in fact, been added.

I'm not implying anything negative......I'm an atheist and I still do Christmas, because it is "traditional" for our family to get together and exchange gifts around a decorated tree and have a big meal, etc. It is a formal holiday, school is out, people have time off from work, all that makes it easier to gather.

But you will not find any of the elements of Christmas in the first century Christian community. It was a small Jewish cult that has grown through proselytizing and force of military might. Nobody knows when Jesus was born, and most scholars will tell you that it was not in December, but in warmer months. The birth date of Christ was set by an emperor to align with the Saturnalia which helped incorporate another religion into the celebration. People already celebrated Saturnalia.

Would you care to share a recipe for Christmas pudding? Much of the world, like here in the U.S., knows nothing of Christmas puddings. I would find it very interesting to try next year.

exchemist

Veteran Member
Yes, things are indeed incorporated into Christendom. Yes, once they become habitually practiced for a number of years, they become traditional. If something pre-exists the practice of Christianity in a given culture, and is added to the practice of Christianity in that culture at a later date, then it has, in fact, been added.

I'm not implying anything negative......I'm an atheist and I still do Christmas, because it is "traditional" for our family to get together and exchange gifts around a decorated tree and have a big meal, etc. It is a formal holiday, school is out, people have time off from work, all that makes it easier to gather.

But you will not find any of the elements of Christmas in the first century Christian community. It was a small Jewish cult that has grown through proselytizing and force of military might. Nobody knows when Jesus was born, and most scholars will tell you that it was not in December, but in warmer months. The birth date of Christ was set by an emperor to align with the Saturnalia which helped incorporate another religion into the celebration. People already celebrated Saturnalia.

Would you care to share a recipe for Christmas pudding? Much of the world, like here in the U.S., knows nothing of Christmas puddings. I would find it very interesting to try next year.
There are lots of recipes but this one I have used many times and I know is quite widely liked:-

It's quite a long list of ingredients but fairly easy to make once assembled. Quantities for 2 puddings, given in Imperial units (the recipe is old enough to still use oz). The ingredients are given in the order in which it is recommended to add them, mixing at each step or couple of steps as common sense dictates.

8oz suet
1 heaped teaspoon mixed spice
1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
4oz self-raising flour (flour plus baking powder - standard in the UK but don't know elsewhere)
1lb soft brown sugar (I use 3/4 to make it less sweet)
8oz breadcrumbs grated from a stale loaf (doesn't have to be completely stale)
8oz sultanas (I find these fairly pointless so substitute chopped prunes)
8oz raisins
1 1/4 lb currents (1lb is fine)
2oz chopped almonds (I use 4oz because I like them)
2oz mixed candied peel (I use 3oz)
grated rind (zest) of 1 orange and 1 lemon
1 apple peeled, cored and diced (I use a cooking apple for more acid to balance overall sweetness)

Once these dry ingredients are mixed, you mix up separately :
4 beaten eggs
10 floz stout (Guinness or equiv)
4 tablespoons rum (I substitute 8 tbsp cognac or armagnac, as it goes better with the prunes)

and pour this lot over it.

Then you stir it all together thoroughly by hand (don't use a machine or you may break up the fruit into mush)- this takes a few minutes: important to ensure all the dried fruit and sugar is wetted so it can soak up the liquid, and leave overnight covered with a cloth for this to occur.

You then butter 2 pudding basins, fill them right to the top with the mixture, and tie over a sheet of greaseproof paper and some Al foil (the latter helps the string to stay in position just below the lip of the basin - you want a decent seal). Then you put them in a large covered pan with gently boiling water coming about halfway up the basins, and steam/boil them for 8hrs, topping up the water when necessary. Then the puddings, still in their basins, go in the cellar or somewhere cool for at least 2 weeks, preferably 4, before use. (I once made them only a week before and the taste was not as good.) Don't be alarmed if you get an oily layer of suet on the water at the end. This is normal.

They need to be reheated and served hot. Either 2hrs in another boiling water pan (best), or possibly microwaved - but in the latter case I would turn them out of the basin first - the outer part can overheat, dry and stick to the basin so it doesn't come out in one piece as a nice dome. (This happened when I took one to my brother year before last.)

Classically you serve the pudding flambeed, by turning it out onto a warmed serving plate, spooning over cognac with a pre-heated spoon, and setting fire to it before carrying it, with a certain degree of ceremony, to the table.

Brandy butter is the traditional accompaniment but I prefer to make brandy cream - just whipped cream with a teaspoon of sugar and some cognac in it.

It is heavy, from the days long before central heating, so serve in modest portions. But pretty good, provided your guests have not OD-ed on turkey etc. I took some to France last year and the French family ate almost the whole thing.

Last edited:

Milton Platt

There are lots of recipes but this one I have used many times and I know is quite widely liked:-

It's quite a long list of ingredients but fairly easy to make once assembled. Quantities for 2 puddings, given in Imperial units (the recipe is old enough to still use oz). The ingredients are given in the order in which it is recommended to add them, mixing at each step or couple of steps as common sense dictates.

8oz suet
1 heaped teaspoon mixed spice
1/2 teaspoon grated nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
4oz self-raising flour (flour plus baking powder - standard in the UK but don't know elsewhere)
1lb soft brown sugar (I use 3/4 to make it less sweet)
8oz breadcrumbs grated from a stale loaf (doesn't have to be completely stale)
8oz sultanas (I find these fairly pointless so substitute chopped prunes)
8oz raisins
1 1/4 lb currents (1lb is fine)
2oz chopped almonds (I use 4oz because I like them)
2oz mixed candied peel (I use 3oz)
grated rind (zest) of 1 orange and 1 lemon
1 apple peeled, cored and diced (I use a cooking apple for more acid to balance overall sweetness)

Once these dry ingredients are mixed, you mix up separately :
4 beaten eggs
10 floz stout (Guinness or equiv)
4 tablespoons rum (I substitute 8 tbsp cognac or armagnac, as it goes better with the prunes)

and pour this lot over it.

Then you stir it all together thoroughly by hand (don't use a machine or you may break up the fruit into mush)- this takes a few minutes: important to ensure all the dried fruit and sugar is wetted so it can soak up the liquid, and leave overnight covered with a cloth for this to occur.

You then butter 2 pudding basins, fill them right to the top with the mixture, and tie over a sheet of greaseproof paper and some Al foil (the latter helps the string to stay in position just below the lip of the basin - you want a decent seal). Then you put them in a large covered pan with gently boiling water coming about halfway up the basins, and steam/boil them for 8hrs, topping up the water when necessary. Then the puddings, still in their basins, go in the cellar or somewhere cool for at least 2 weeks, preferably 4, before use. (I once made them only a week before and the taste was not as good.) Don't be alarmed if you get an oily layer of suet on the water at the end. This is normal.

They need to be reheated and served hot. Either 2hrs in another boiling water pan (best), or possibly microwaved - but in the latter case I would turn them out of the basin first - the outer part can overheat, dry and stick to the basin so it doesn't come out in one piece as a nice dome. (This happened when I took one to my brother year before last.)

Classically you serve the pudding flambeed, by turning it out onto a warmed serving plate, spooning over cognac with a pre-heated spoon, and setting fire to it before carrying it, with a certain degree of ceremony, to the table.

Brandy butter is the traditional accompaniment but I prefer to make brandy cream - just whipped cream with a teaspoon of sugar and some cognac in it.

It is heavy, from the days long before central heating, so serve in modest portions. But pretty good, provided your guests have not OD-ed on turkey etc. I took some to France last year and the French family ate almost the whole thing.

Way cool!! Thank you so much for sharing this. I have saved it into my recipe files. I might just try it this Christmas.

exchemist

Veteran Member
Way cool!! Thank you so much for sharing this. I have saved it into my recipe files. I might just try it this Christmas.

Yes, give it a go. The first time I made this was in Dubai, when as a single 30yr old I joined a party of Brit expats for Christmas lunch. I was a success so I hung onto the recipe. I don't think I ever bothered with it again until, much later, I married a French woman who demanded an English Christmas Pudding, so I dusted it off....

But I'm waiting now for @ChristineM to show up and tell me I've got something wrong. :D

By the way, I'm assuming pudding basins where you are are the same capacity as here. Unfortunately I can't check the capacity by filling them with water, as, er, both of them have Christmas puddings in!

Milton Platt

Yes, give it a go. The first time I made this was in Dubai, when as a single 30yr old I joined a party of Brit expats for Christmas lunch. I was a success so I hung onto the recipe. I don't think I ever bothered with it again until, much later, I married a French woman who demanded an English Christmas Pudding, so I dusted it off....

But I'm waiting now for @ChristineM to show up and tell me I've got something wrong. :D

By the way, I'm assuming pudding basins where you are are the same capacity as here. Unfortunately I can't check the capacity by filling them with water, as, er, both of them have Christmas puddings in!

I will check out Amazon for the basins

Now thinking it might be a good idea to start a new thread for everybody to share Christmas and/or Thanksgiving recipes.
I do a turkey for thanksgiving and a ham for Christmas

Milton Platt

I will check out Amazon for the basins

Now thinking it might be a good idea to start a new thread for everybody to share Christmas and/or Thanksgiving recipes.
I do a turkey for thanksgiving and a ham for Christmas

Started the thread under general discussions/food and beverage forum/
Share favorite Recipes for Thanksgiving and Christmas