• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

To The Jesus Myth Theorist

CynthiaCypher

And its also why it isn't a conspiracy to question history. Get it?

My problem with your hypothesis is that you are using modern terms and contexts. A person who acted like Jesus today might very well be considered a cult figure but would he have been 2000 years ago? No, at least, not in the manner you are implying. You have to consider the evidence in the context of the period, not in modern terms.

So in your book it is verboten for anyone to apply modern terms to ancient historical figures? So when scholars call Nero a sociopath it's problematic for you?

Trey of Diamonds

Yes, including when it comes to the historical Jesus. But there are reasonable doubts and unreasonable doubts. The idea that the there is no single figure Jesus behind the gospels is not a reasonable doubt.

Sure it is. It can't be proven so there is doubt, what is unreasonable is insulting and attacking those who are acknowledging that fact.

Trey of Diamonds

So in your book it is verboten for anyone to apply modern terms to ancient historical figures? So when scholars call Nero a sociopath it's problematic for you?

It would be a problem to compare him to Ted Bundy or Joesph Stalin because they are modern day sociopaths. It is one thing to make a diagnosis but quite another thing to start making judgements of historical figures based on modern day contexts.

CynthiaCypher

It would be a problem to compare him to Ted Bundy or Joesph Stalin because they are modern day sociopaths. It is one thing to make a diagnosis but quite another thing to start making judgements of historical figures based on modern day contexts.

Oy fracking vey!

What possible difference is there? A sociopath is a sociopath whether in the modern or ancient world just a cult leader is a cult leader regardless of the era or whether the people of his era had the terms we use.

The ancients didn't have the term Microcephaly so does it mean that microcephy didn't exist in ancient times. The ancient didn't have modern germ theory so does that mean we can't apply germ theory when discussing disease in the ancient world?

Trey of Diamonds

Oy fracking vey!

What possible difference is there? A sociopath is a sociopath whether in the modern or ancient world just a cult leader is a cult leader regardless of the era or whether the people of his era had the terms we use.

The ancients didn't have the term Microcephaly so does it mean that microcephy didn't exist in ancient times. The ancient didn't have modern germ theory so does that mean we can't apply germ theory when discussing disease in the ancient world?

The difference is in how the society in question judges them. Our modern culture judges Joseph Stalin by one set of standards but the Romans judged Nero with a completely different standard. Today's society considers bike gangs to be leather clad thugs existing on the fringe of society while the same individuals in the 4th and 5th centuries would have been the Knights of the Round Table. You can't hold up a person of this era who is unversally condemned for his actions and beliefs as an example of how people 2000 years ago would have viewed the same personality type. Chances are they saw him differently.

CynthiaCypher

The difference is in how the society in question judges them. Our modern culture judges Joseph Stalin by one set of standards but the Romans judged Nero with a completely different standard. Today's society considers bike gangs to be leather clad thugs existing on the fringe of society while the same individuals in the 4th and 5th centuries would have been the Knights of the Round Table. You can't hold up a person of this era who is unversally condemned for his actions and beliefs as an example of how people 2000 years ago would have viewed the same personality type. Chances are they saw him differently.

What are you getting at? You're not even making sense anymore. What does applying modern terminology to ancient sociological phenomena have to do with bikers being knights of the round table.

arcanum

I am trying to get to the true story. i want to know who this guy was. i believe he was a cult leader like David Koresh
There a few books that would get you to an informed position. I'd suggest Who on earth was Jesus, the Jesus Puzzle and for some good fuel for thought the Jesus Mysteries. If that isn't enough reading than I suggest Robert Eisenamn who is a very well respected scholar but get ready for some serious tomes. The search for the historical Jesus will take you in many different directions.

Last edited:

Trey of Diamonds

What are you getting at? You're not even making sense anymore. What does applying modern terminology to ancient sociological phenomena have to do with bikers being knights of the round table.

*sigh* :facepalm: Do try to keep up.

What I'm saying is that the society of any given period will judge these personalities in extremely differnt ways. You say that Jesus was like Koresh because in our society that is who you think he would be judged the same as. But in his society he would have been not judged that way at all so it is a poor comparison.

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
There a few books that would get you to an informed position. I'd suggest Who in the world was Jesus, the Jesus Puzzle and for some good fuel for thought the Jesus Mysteries. If that isn't enough reading than I suggest Robert Eisenamn who is a very well respected scholar but get ready for some serious tomes. The search for the historical Jesus will take you in many different directions.

Yep.....

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
I have and I still have own personal doubts. I'm 50/50 though. His existence isn't really a big deal to me.

That's a position I really respect.

This next part isn't directed specifically at you but I wanted to add it. There is a possibility that Jesus didn't exist. I think too many people view history in absolutes. However that isn't how history works. Unlike sciences, history isn't proven. Instead, it is based off of probability. We can look at a historic event, and based on the evidence, put it on a spectrum of probability.

It isn't a 100% sure Jesus existed, and this isn't true just for Jesus. However, I, among many others, put him as having a very high probability of existing.

Iti oj

Global warming is real and we need to act
Premium Member
Then you aren't looking. Because it's there.
why don't you stop being so prude and share some then?

all your doing is giving people the run around. obviously if i am say their is no evidence then i have looked and failed to find any, and any that i have received has been lacking and sounds like a Nostradamus prophecy....

sooo get off your high horse and be useful. what is all this evidence for historic Jesus?

stop ranting and belittling us and educate us.

Trey of Diamonds

That's a position I really respect.

This next part isn't directed specifically at you but I wanted to add it. There is a possibility that Jesus didn't exist. I think too many people view history in absolutes. However that isn't how history works. Unlike sciences, history isn't proven. Instead, it is based off of probability. We can look at a historic event, and based on the evidence, put it on a spectrum of probability.

It isn't a 100% sure Jesus existed, and this isn't true just for Jesus. However, I, among many others, put him as having a very high probability of existing.

^^ This ^^

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
why don't you stop being so prude and share some then?

all your doing is giving people the run around. obviously if i am say their is no evidence then i have looked and failed to find any, and any that i have received has been lacking and sounds like a Nostradamus prophecy....

sooo get off your high horse and be useful. what is all this evidence for historic Jesus?

stop ranting and belittling us and educate us.
We have Paul, the Gospels, and Josephus. That should be enough evidence. Instead of explaining more, and rehashing my arguments, I'm just going to link to a post earlier in this thread http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/2807477-post39.html

CynthiaCypher

*sigh* :facepalm: Do try to keep up.

What I'm saying is that the society of any given period will judge these personalities in extremely differnt ways. You say that Jesus was like Koresh because in our society that is who you think he would be judged the same as. But in his society he would have been not judged that way at all so it is a poor comparison.

No he would have been a false prophet in his time, in ours he is a cult leader.

dyanaprajna2011

Dharmapala
I seen the OP and thought "someone has an ax to grind." There is absolutely no evidence that Jesus ever existed. Does that mean he didn't? No. That just means to believe in Jesus is something that has to be taken on faith. I personally don't know whether he existed or not. I don't believe he did, because I see no evidence for it. That's one of the million and one reasons why I left Christianity in the first place. The only evidence for the existence of Jesus, outside the Bible, is a handful of second and third hand testimonies dozens of years after the fact, which is no real evidence at all.