• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

To Forgive or Not to Forgive?

Godobeyer

the word "Islam" means "submission" to God
Premium Member
Sorry for taking so long to respond.

I was asking if you believe I can show mercy and not forgive. An example might be someone who steals my car and damages it. I might not forgive--or not let him get away with it--by demanding he pay for the damage done. But I might show mercy--or not punish him as he deserves--by not calling the police and pressing charges.

In this case, wouldn't I be merciful but unforgiving? If so, is it sometimes right to not forgive?
in Islam there is different between two concepts between forgive and mercy .

forgive is could be for some one who hurt you .
mercy is could be for some one who doesnt hurt you and who hurt you too .
so mercy is wide than forgive .

btw , in issue of personal problem
you need to forgive first than to be mercy .

Spockrates

Wonderer.
in Islam there is different between two concepts between forgive and mercy .

forgive is could be for some one who hurt you .
mercy is could be for some one who doesnt hurt you and who hurt you too .
so mercy is wide than forgive .

btw , in issue of personal problem
you need to forgive first than to be mercy .

Does Islam teach mercy means to be lenient but forgiveness means to pardon? Or do the words mercy and forgiveness mean something different?

Last edited:

Godobeyer

the word "Islam" means "submission" to God
Premium Member
Godobeyer:

If it will help, type your responses in your own language. I will use Google Translate.

Google Translate
ok

لا يمكن ان ترحم شخص وانت لم تسامحه بعد

الرحمة تاتي بعد المغفرة

المغفرة هي تجاوز الاخطاء او العفو . اما الرحمة هي تقريبا فعل الخير او عدم فعل الشر عند القدرة

this is my personal understanding , if you need more i am request you to post a thread in Islam DIR , that would be interesting .

Spockrates

Wonderer.
ok

لا يمكن ان ترحم شخص وانت لم تسامحه بعد

الرحمة تاتي بعد المغفرة

المغفرة هي تجاوز الاخطاء او العفو . اما الرحمة هي تقريبا فعل الخير او عدم فعل الشر عند القدرة

this is my personal understanding , if you need more i am request you to post a thread in Islam DIR , that would be interesting .
Looks like something was lost in the translation! It was worth a try.