• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tired of being called a sinner?

challupa

Although I enjoy others opinions of me and my work I have been alive long enough to know when it is a false complement or false lie.

Being labeled a sinner is just false lie. They have no legitimit responce for you so they just call you a sinner. That applies to 4 letter words, murderer, baby killer, something like infantilist which for my opinions on certain religious taboo's I have been called. I actually feel sorry for the person calling me the name. They are making a statement about who they are not who I am.
I agree it is telling about who they are, but it always comes from a place of caring and love, don't cha know!:slap::rolleyes:

lunamoth

Will to love
The thing about churches is that they are just chock full of sinners. It's the sick who need the doctor, right?

Sorry you've been on the receiving end of that Challupa.

challupa

The thing about churches is that they are just chock full of sinners. It's the sick who need the doctor, right?

Sorry you've been on the receiving end of that Challupa.
Thanks Luna, I usually weather it a lot better than today. Thanks to everyone that responded. I am back in perspective again and that's good. Thanks.

Allfather

Troublemaker from Ulster
Maybe I'm just having a bad day, but I am really getting tired of being labelled a sinner just because I don't believe in religions definition of God. Is it just me or is anyone else tired of the slogan, we are sinners and we must repent or be sent to hell for eternity. Why do people believe this stuff and why do they think it's alright to tell others this stuff too. Don't they see how hurtful and condescending this is? Sorry, but I'm really tired of the label my family and others give me and other's like me. Usually I'm pretty upbeat about it and let it slide off my back, but today it's getting to me a lot.

It doesn't bother me at all. I find it quite comical. And I'm sure in their mind, as hurtful and condescending as it may be, they are doing you a service and assuring your place in heaven. Sometimes I find it sad that they are trying so hard to do what they think is right, so I don't even mind it that much.

challupa

It doesn't bother me at all. I find it quite comical. And I'm sure in their mind, as hurtful and condescending as it may be, they are doing you a service and assuring your place in heaven. Sometimes I find it sad that they are trying so hard to do what they think is right, so I don't even mind it that much.
Yes and that is exactly how I should view it too. Some days it's just easier than others. They can be so earnest!

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
Since everyone makes mistakes, I'm rather disappointed in them for stating the obvious.

Thing is, while I do agree with the philosophy, I view it differently from them; Ryu from Street Fighter said it well: "A defeat learned from is better than an empty victory."

Allfather

Troublemaker from Ulster
Yes and that is exactly how I should view it too. Some days it's just easier than others. They can be so earnest!

The hardest time I had with this was when it was brought up by family members. I had an Aunt and Uncle that told me I was "from the pit of hell and smelled like smoke", and this was still when I was young and considered myself a Christian. It was mostly because of my music choices, since I love me some metal
:drums::jam::guitar1:

I simply told my Uncle that I would take intelligence over ignorance any day. I figured if a music choice won you a ticket to heaven then obviously the system was flawed.

challupa

The hardest time I had with this was when it was brought up by family members. I had an Aunt and Uncle that told me I was "from the pit of hell and smelled like smoke", and this was still when I was young and considered myself a Christian. It was mostly because of my music choices, since I love me some metal
:drums::jam::guitar1:

I simply told my Uncle that I would take intelligence over ignorance any day. I figured if a music choice won you a ticket to heaven then obviously the system was flawed.
The thing is they are so scared. I'm not sure they see it that way, but it seems so clear to an outsider. And the truth is they are scared for me. Hell is so real for them. But yes, I agree with you the system is flawed and that was evident to me many years ago too.

Allfather

Troublemaker from Ulster
The thing is they are so scared. I'm not sure they see it that way, but it seems so clear to an outsider. And the truth is they are scared for me. Hell is so real for them. But yes, I agree with you the system is flawed and that was evident to me many years ago too.

I think they are also scared because they feel like they should believe something that doesn't make sense, and they are brought up with so many negative consequences to not believing, it is virtually tearing their soul in two.

There are two types of Christians in my viewpoint:
1) Those who struggle with what they believe, do not deviate, and lash out at those who believe something else (or possibly lash out at those who are liberated while they cannot achieve such)
2) Those who struggle with what they believe, make it work for themselves through study and meditation, and are content with everyone else's viewpoint.

There is no question with whom we are speaking about in this thread. I would never expect this type of criticism from #2, and some of my most respected friends and colleagues fall in this category. Christian #1 is either uncomfortable with their own religion or scared of subversion by another.

I liken it to a Homophobe being the one who is actually uncomfortable with their own sexuality. If they were comfortable being straight, then there would be no need to demean or ridicule those who are not.

challupa

I think they are also scared because they feel like they should believe something that doesn't make sense, and they are brought up with so many negative consequences to not believing, it is virtually tearing their soul in two.

There are two types of Christians in my viewpoint:
1) Those who struggle with what they believe, do not deviate, and lash out at those who believe something else (or possibly lash out at those who are liberated while they cannot achieve such)
2) Those who struggle with what they believe, make it work for themselves through study and meditation, and are content with everyone else's viewpoint.

There is no question with whom we are speaking about in this thread. I would never expect this type of criticism from #2, and some of my most respected friends and colleagues fall in this category. Christian #1 is either uncomfortable with their own religion or scared of subversion by another.

I liken it to a Homophobe being the one who is actually uncomfortable with their own sexuality. If they were comfortable being straight, then there would be no need to demean or ridicule those who are not.
Those are very good points. I also know many religious people that are perfectly fine with other beliefs. I think a majority of people I know are. It is just this birth family I have found. I would agree with you about not being sure. It seems that way sometimes. It's like I threaten their security in some way though I try hard to not question there beliefs. Just existing seems to be enough to make my one sister very uncomfortable. So I think you have hit the nail on the head.

Alceste

Vagabond
You lived in Alberta? Where? I wasn't aware there were lots of Christian fundamentalists in Alberta, I thought they all lived in Sask.

I grew up in Calgary. It seems to me, only because I never ran into a true-blue foaming-at-the-mouth fundamentalist until I was in my mid-20s, that it's a recent infestation, contracted via Alberta's ideological and economic proximity to the US. Growing up, most of the religious people I knew were either good, old-fashioned United Church of Canada folk or Mormons. I did have one friend from Trinidad whose parents were Pentacostal...

To be honest, I don't know the distribution. I only got the impression Alberta is teeming with them because I had the bad luck to date a couple when I went back for a while. Honestly, they ought to wear arm-bands or something so they can be spotted early on, before you wake up "the morning after" and they're off cringing in a corner in their shorts, fending you off with a cross held aloft.

Comicaze247

See the previous line
Lucky for me, I don't have much family that are like that, and I haven't met many people like that either.

Sure, my parents don't like that I'm not Catholic anymore, but they know I'm a good person, so they're fine with it.

But I have been called a sinner by the occasional Christian Fundamentalist groups (I like to call them "sign people") that like to come on college campuses pointing at random people and saying "SINNER!" I used to try to argue with them, but then I realized it was like talking to a wall with the word "sinner" graffiti'd onto it. It's pointless. So instead, I just mess with them now. One of my friends Rick-Rolled a group before. Next time, I'm thinking of dressing up as a demon and just standing next to them.

they call me a sinner i just tell them to shut up so i can eat my baby, for dinner

Charity

Let's go racing boys !
My sins are ever before me, chocolate, diet coke, sex and etc. I get up and pent out all my frustrations early in the morning while sinning with my first diet coke for the day. Then later on I repent as I reach for more sinful chocolate....All the time telling myself what a sinner I am........;)
Why does sin have to be sooooo good??

Comicaze247

See the previous line
Why does sin have to be sooooo good??
Because it's being human: being true to ourselves.

I realized in my late teens that I don't want to be a part of a group that says "If it feels good at all, don't do it, even if it's healthy."

EDIT: I just realized I said that as if that was a long time ago, lol

Last edited: