• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Time for another prophet?

desiboy

just a thought. The world is currently going through its most scientifically advanced age in history. It is also a time where good people like you and me are also able to discuss religion at a more intelligent level because of the higher levels of education that we have obtained.

Don't you think that NOW more then ever before, is the time for another prophet to come from God. Especially with all the "religious" problems of our age, such as widespread attention to homosexualism, genetic modification and abortion?

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
desiboy said:
just a thought. The world is currently going through its most scientifically advanced age in history. It is also a time where good people like you and me are also able to discuss religion at a more intelligent level because of the higher levels of education that we have obtained.

Don't you think that NOW more then ever before, is the time for another prophet to come from God. Especially with all the "religious" problems of our age, such as widespread attention to homosexualism, genetic modification and abortion?
Hi, desiboy! And welcome.

My first response to your question was, Wow! What a question to pose on a forum where there are Mormon posters! :D

Stormstranger

I'll take a shot at this one...

A prophet was a man inspired, used and influenced completely by God to prepare the people for the coming of Jesus Christ. Once Jesus came into the picture, the need for Prophets is no longer here, we know the story of Jesus Christ...so why should we have someone come in and proclaim something we already know about? John the Baptist was the last of the prophets, as he was proclaiming Jesus name up to the point where he baptized Jesus. Then he stood on every word that Jesus said, not his own. And even in Revelation, the bible warns us to keep looking for False Prophets, those that claim to be men of God but are ultimately the workers of the Devil himself.

Thought that might help.
-Stormstranger

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
"Don't believe anyone but me...I'm the very last prophet"
Convienient don't you think?

Why does it seem that every prophet wants to be the last one?

wa:do

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
desiboy said:

Um...yes... it is time for someone to listen to the small still voice inside him or her that is God and step up, to fight for what is right. But I would think a prophet would be more concerned with widespread poverty, bigotry, and war than with "homosexualism, genetic modification, and abortion." :rolleyes:

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
A new prophet would be great to clarify the Moral and social issues of our time, and to give us God's take on them.
I do not believe the only purpose of a prophet was to foretell the coming of Jesus.
The problem is, that if a new Prophet was appointed by God how many would believe him.

Terry___________________________-
Amen! Truly I say to you: Gather in my name. I am with you.

SoyLeche

meh...
Terrywoodenpic said:
A new prophet would be great to clarify the Moral and social issues of our time, and to give us God's take on them.
I do not believe the only purpose of a prophet was to foretell the coming of Jesus.
The problem is, that if a new Prophet was appointed by God how many would believe him.

Terry___________________________-
Amen! Truly I say to you: Gather in my name. I am with you.
Today --- about 11 Million :bounce

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
desiboy said:

I'm not at all sure that I agree.

The 'purpose' of life (as I see it as a Christian) is a 'test' - we are put here, to either choose to do good, or choose to do bad. Aren't we old enough to sort ourselves out, without a prophet to come and 'steer' us in the 'right direction' ? - If one did so, we wouldn't have the responsability of choice.

Darkdale

World Leader Pretend
No. We've had enough prophets and religious factions. :) No more prophets. They stir up too much violence.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Especially with all the "religious" problems of our age, such as widespread attention to homosexualism,
Whats wrong with homosexuality? I'm not homosexual, but I can find nothing immoral about it.

By prophet, would you mean someone who is wise and enlightened, or someone who makes prophecies? If you mean someone who sees the future and makes prophecies, then there are several people that do this, allthough not all of them claim to be Christian or Muslim. If it's a wise, enlightened person, I read an article in some metaphysical magazine about someone like that who wrote a book. I can't recal the name of that person, but the magazine was shipped to me with my order from Magusbook's website, a metaphysical store in St. Paul (Or some city nearby), Minnesota.

blueman

God's Warrior
I think there will be many false prophets that will come and go, but no real true prophet that provides us with new revelation. At some point we have to recognize that the Bible is God's Word and provides us with the insight and revelation that we need if we are really open and honest in the receiving the message. God gives those who desire it the discernment and insight to His Word and speaks to our minds and hearts through it. Any other attempt to provide new revelation above and beyond what is already dilenated in God's Word is an utter waste of time and effort and an exercise in futility. :)

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Desi,

Maybe the best way to proceed, if you really do want to discuss this topic, is to explain what you mean by the word "prophet." How do you see a prophet's role? What is his purpose? Just explain a little more what you would expect of this prophet you're speaking of.

Kathryn

Stormstranger

Blueman, you have it absolutely correct mate. We have the bible, and the bible makes it very clear what to do and how to get to Heaven, why do we need someone to come along and tell a story we already know?

We also have to be careful of false prophets as in Matthew 24:24 "For false Christs and false prophets will appear and perform great signs and miracles to deceive even the elect..."

And prophets have some fortell into the future right? So what exactly would they be saying that we don't already have? If they proclaim when Jesus is coming, you know they're lying, no one knows the time of day that Jesus will come back: 32"No one knows about that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father. 33Be on guard! Be alert! You do not know when that time will come. (Mark 13:32-33)

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
Stormstranger said:
And prophets have some fortell into the future right? So what exactly would they be saying that we don't already have?
Prophets do not foretell the future. They are not glorfied fortune tellers.

Prophets redeem the future. The future is not set in stone; it matters what we do. The role of the prophet is to "speak truth to power." To tell us when we have lost sight of God's will - to show us where our current errant path will lead us to if we do not change - and to guide us back to the right path.

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
blueman said:
I think there will be many false prophets that will come and go, but no real true prophet that provides us with new revelation. At some point we have to recognize that the Bible is God's Word and provides us with the insight and revelation that we need if we are really open and honest in the receiving the message. God gives those who desire it the discernment and insight to His Word and speaks to our minds and hearts through it. Any other attempt to provide new revelation above and beyond what is already dilenated in God's Word is an utter waste of time and effort and an exercise in futility. :)
If you believe that the Holy Spirit still moves in this world then revelation is ongoing.

Darkdale

World Leader Pretend
lilithu said:
If you believe that the Holy Spirit still moves in this world then revelation is ongoing.

You must spread some Karma around before giving it to lilithu again.

Excellent point.

blueman

God's Warrior
lilithu said:
Prophets do not foretell the future. They are not glorfied fortune tellers.

Prophets redeem the future. The future is not set in stone; it matters what we do. The role of the prophet is to "speak truth to power." To tell us when we have lost sight of God's will - to show us where our current errant path will lead us to if we do not change - and to guide us back to the right path.
God's will and purpose for us is reflected in the Bible. I do not need a so-called prophet to inform me when I am outside of God's will. The Holy Spirit does that for me and confirms what His Word says. :)

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
blueman said:
God's will and purpose for us is reflected in the Bible. I do not need a so-called prophet to inform me when I am outside of God's will. The Holy Spirit does that for me and confirms what His Word says. :)
So if God did sent another prophet, you would refuse to listen because you are certain that you know what's right. It makes me wonder if Jesus came again how many Christians would believe him.

blueman

God's Warrior
lilithu said:
So if God did sent another prophet, you would refuse to listen because you are certain that you know what's right. It makes me wonder if Jesus came again how many Christians would believe him.
Jesus will come again and the Bible tells us how the Son of Man will return, we just don't know the day nor the hour. And yes, I am certain what His will and purpose is for my life through His Word. There are people who God uses, such as pastors, ministers and other members of the church body to confirm what He stated in His Word that will be applicable to life circumstances, but if someone who claims to be sent from God and is promulgating so-called propehecy that is in direct contrast with His Word, I reject it. :)

Popeyesays

painted wolf said:
"Don't believe anyone but me...I'm the very last prophet"
Convienient don't you think?

Why does it seem that every prophet wants to be the last one?

wa:do
My faith says that ALL the Prophets are Revealers of thesame God and that He is not the last, but that another will not come until after 1000 years of His own Revelation.

He also says that each of the Prophets is indeed the alpha and omega because that is the same Spirit revealed within each, even though they come in different bodies, times and places.

1000 years from His birth, His announcement, His passing? He does not say, so when the time comes His followers will have to decide what is true for themselves.
Regards,
Scott