• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Throw Grandma in Jail and Throw Away the Key?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
What I do not understand is why he ignores the article that shows this was not her first riot. Nor was it her first offense. And as you pointed out: Trying to overthrow the government is just a touch more serious than shoplifting.
But she's a "granny".

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
This wasn't just any misdemeanor like jaywalking.
It was an insurrection with deaths.

Evidence for this possibly overly general claim?
Deaths were natural causes other than the death of the one who tried to enter in.

Are you saying that grandma is more guilty that the malefactors?
Pocatello man gets probation for robbery, grand theft, possession of stolen bank card - East Idaho News

Judge sentences admitted rapist to probation, no prison time

Ex-prosecutor who helped drug dealers for sex gets probation

Chicago teen who murdered 15-year-old Elias Valdez given probation

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Citing carefully culled examples of leniency
doesn't make a general case.
But if you were correct, it only points to the
need for harsher sentencing for robbers,
child abusers, etc....& especially former
prosecutors.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Tsk, tsk. Dishonest sources with dishonest articles. Why do that?

Kenny

Premium Member
prosecutors.
Agreed! But I can give you a litany of examples that makes it more of a general case than an exception

Kenny

Premium Member
What I do not understand is why he ignores the article that shows this was not her first riot. Nor was it her first offense. And as you pointed out: Trying to overthrow the government is just a touch more serious than shoplifting.
No... what you gave me was a statement with no supportive documentation (site)... unless I am mistaken

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Agreed! But I can give you a litany of examples that makes it more of a general case than an exception
I found many examples of harsh sentences.
Question...
Do you really think she's all that innocent,
or is it that she's a "granny" with cancer,
thereby deserving slack compared with
young healthy men?

Kenny

Premium Member
prosecutors.
Which also points to my original OP. There are so many people who say "GOD IS SO UNJUST" - but we want more harsher sentencing.

It confirms my position IMO

Kenny

Premium Member
I found many examples of harsh sentences.
Question...
Do you really think she's all that innocent,
or is it that she's a "granny" with cancer,
thereby deserving slack compared with
young healthy men?

Not at all... never said she I though she was innocent and never said that she should be forgiven or even leniency because she is battling cancer.

Where have I ever said that?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Not at all... never said she I though she was innocent and never said that she should be forgiven or even leniency because she is battling cancer.

I merely asked a question about why you wanted more leniency.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
ABC is a dishonest article? WOW! Thanks for the update.
In that case, yes. He was 17 and his "victims" were 15 and 16. It was likely consensual. He was charged with third degree rape. Or statutory rape. Not forcible rape. It seems to be a stretch of New York's laws.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member

"The Washington Post reported on April 19 that District of Columbia Chief Medical Examiner Francisco J. Diaz found that Sicknick suffered two strokes nearly eight hours after being sprayed with a chemical irritant during the riot. Diaz told the Post that Sicknick died of natural causes, but “all that transpired played a role in his condition.”

At least two people died from heart attacks that they probably wouldn't have had, if they hadn't placed themselves in the middle of a violent uprising.

At least two officers committed suicide, in the days following the attack:
-Howard Liebengood
Death of Capitol Police Officer 3 Days After Riots Was by Suicide, Family Says
-Jeffrey Smith (He was struck on his helmet by metal poles thrown by the "protestors.")
"Smith’s wife said he “wasn’t the same” in the days after the riot and seemed to be in constant pain. After visiting a police clinic on Jan. 14 and being ordered back to work, Smith shot himself on the way to work, the Post reported."

And at least 140 officers were injured on January 6th - one lost the end of a finger; many had concussions; several are suffering from PTSD; one officer was so badly injured that since January 6th he's had multiple surgeries and had to complete rehabilitation, and still can't go back to work

Officers’ Injuries, Including Concussions, Show Scope of Violence at Capitol Riot (Published 2021)
How Many Died as a Result of Capitol Riot? - FactCheck.org
At least 17 police officers remain out of work with injuries from the Capitol attack
One of the first officers injured on Jan. 6 will testify in public House hearing

It's all just "natural causes" though. Nothing to see here.

Last edited:

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Which also points to my original OP. There are so many people who say "GOD IS SO UNJUST" - but we want more harsher sentencing.

Oh, there is no doubt that the God of the Bible is unjust. But I do have to change my opinion about the rape case. The ABC article said that he was guilty of third degree rape, but it was worse than fhat:

CNN - Breaking News, Latest News and Videos

Edit: Crap! I need to get back on my computer. This tablet does not copy long websites properly.

F1fan

Veteran Member
Granny didn't die at 5 years old from cancer that your God created her with. A dead 5 year old from cancer, and that is your God being just?

You love to cherry pick.

No it doesn't. Your position is biased and cherry picks data.

Callisto

Hellenismos, BTW

Then what are you saying? Say what you mean and mean what you say.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
"The Washington Post reported on April 19 that District of Columbia Chief Medical Examiner Francisco J. Diaz found that Sicknick suffered two strokes nearly eight hours after being sprayed with a chemical irritant during the riot. Diaz told the Post that Sicknick died of natural causes, but “all that transpired played a role in his condition.”

At least two people died from heart attacks that they probably wouldn't have had, if they hadn't placed themselves in the middle of a violent uprising.

At least two officers committed suicide, in the days following the attack:
-Howard Liebengood
Death of Capitol Police Officer 3 Days After Riots Was by Suicide, Family Says
-Jeffrey Smith (He was struck on his helmet by metal poles thrown by the "protestors.")
"Smith’s wife said he “wasn’t the same” in the days after the riot and seemed to be in constant pain. After visiting a police clinic on Jan. 14 and being ordered back to work, Smith shot himself on the way to work, the Post reported."

And at least 140 officers were injured on January 6th - one lost the end of a finger; many had concussions; several are suffering from PTSD; one officer was so badly injured that since January 6th he's had multiple surgeries and had to complete rehabilitation, and still can't go back to work

Officers’ Injuries, Including Concussions, Show Scope of Violence at Capitol Riot (Published 2021)
How Many Died as a Result of Capitol Riot? - FactCheck.org
At least 17 police officers remain out of work with injuries from the Capitol attack
One of the first officers injured on Jan. 6 will testify in public House hearing

It's all just "natural causes" though. Nothing to see here.
That is all disgusting.