• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Thoughts on GMOs

xkatz

What are the opinions amongst fellow capitalists about GMOs?

I am generally supportive of them because they could make it possible to produce higher and more frequent yields of food, which could help make more nutritious foods available to middle and lower class people.

Thruve

Sheppard for the Die Hard
I agree, and mentioned in a thread talking about overpopulation that with gmos, atleast in reference to food, that we could support a larger population than what it is now.

Avi1001

reform Jew humanist liberal feminist entrepreneur
Much more testing of GMO crops are needed, and GMO foods should be labelled as such.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I agree, and mentioned in a thread talking about overpopulation that with gmos, atleast in reference to food, that we could support a larger population than what it is now.
Or we could support our current population with less environmental degradation.

ShivaFan

Satyameva Jayate
Premium Member
Here while staying on a vacation, I noticed GMO crops here in Hawaii. I also noticed long time locals support GMOs but newcomers to the Islands from other states do not.

I will lean to the side of the locals wisdom, I support higher crops for food and though I do not know a lot about GMOs and perhaps should, i vote ok.

4consideration

Premium Member
What are the opinions amongst fellow capitalists about GMOs?

I am generally supportive of them because they could make it possible to produce higher and more frequent yields of food, which could help make more nutritious foods available to middle and lower class people.

I am very cautious about them.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I am very cautious about them.
Are you thinking of thinking of things like a peanut gene "cropping up" in other cultivars,
& making a deadly allergy more so? Or glyphosphate tolerance genes spreading to weeds?
Or is it really that you just don't want to see Revoltingestan prosper?

Last edited:

xkatz

Here while staying on a vacation, I noticed GMO crops here in Hawaii. I also noticed long time locals support GMOs but newcomers to the Islands from other states do not.

I will lean to the side of the locals wisdom, I support higher crops for food and though I do not know a lot about GMOs and perhaps should, i vote ok.
I am honestly surprised that locals are supportive. Generally from what I've seen it's the other way around.

4consideration

Premium Member
Are you thinking of thinking of things like a peanut gene "cropping up" in other cultivars,
& making a deadly allergy more so? Or glyphosphate tolerance genes spreading to weeds?
Or is it really that you just don't want to see Revoltingestan prosper?

There are a number of reasons, including my intense sense of personal competition with Revoltingestan.

I think there are many potential residual effects, and I think that warrants much caution on the subject.

One of my main concerns is that (in my understanding) the engineering of seeds for resistance to certain negatives has also be coupled with the engineering of sterility in the seeds of the next generation of plants, so that seeds must be purchased each year, because one cannot bank and use seeds from the prior crop. It seems the seeds from the next generation will often produce plants, but not the fruits/vegetables/grains, etc. that they are being grown for.

I think this is a dangerous tinkering with the food supply, and I think that for this and other reasons the GMO issue has contributed to our food source being a major area of our economic (and general) well-being that has been subject to favoritism in the application of laws for of certain large food producers, where they are given an unfair advantage over small, independent producers.

For example, I think that the creeping of genetically engineered elements into other people's crops is actually a form of pollution, that ought to be considered a liability, rather than protected as a form of patent infringement.

edit: It's an area where I think crony capitalism is damaging capitalism.

ShivaFan

Satyameva Jayate
Premium Member
... and adding to this, as I said I am voting ok to GMO yield crops, let us say I had a business in pineapple or guava or papaya (or even rice?) production and I was proud of the product as being NON-GMO because I had a different perspective. Then I would take advantage of marketing the food to customers who are looking for such product and I would advert my food as "We are NON-GMO" on signs, and on the label or sticker it would have the letters clearly stamped "NON-GMO" as part of marketing awareness of the food product.

IyiBfc.jpg

Like I said, I vote YES to GMO but also would advert my product as non-GMO if I wanted to promote a product as such.

Avi1001

Next move is they will tell you, you can only ask respectful questions. :D That's how the blue and purple DIRs roll !

There are a number of reasons, including my intense sense of personal competition with Revoltingestan.

I think there are many potential residual effects, and I think that warrants much caution on the subject.

One of my main concerns is that (in my understanding) the engineering of seeds for resistance to certain negatives has also be coupled with the engineering of sterility in the seeds of the next generation of plants, so that seeds must be purchased each year, because one cannot bank and use seeds from the prior crop. It seems the seeds from the next generation will often produce plants, but not the fruits/vegetables/grains, etc. that they are being grown for.

I think this is a dangerous tinkering with the food supply, and I think that for this and other reasons the GMO issue has contributed to our food source being a major area of our economic (and general) well-being that has been subject to favoritism in the application of laws for of certain large food producers, where they are given an unfair advantage over small, independent producers.

For example, I think that the creeping of genetically engineered elements into other people's crops is actually a form of pollution, that ought to be considered a liability, rather than protected as a form of patent infringement.

edit: It's an area where I think crony capitalism is damaging capitalism.

4consideration

Premium Member
Next move is they will tell you, you can only ask respectful questions. :D

I am a strong believer in the value of capitalism. My belief in capitalism does not mean I believe that people can do whatever they want without consequences.

I am particularly protective of capitalism under what I see to be a misuse of the legislative system, whereby special rules are created that give advantage, or are applied in a way so as to create an unfair advantage for certain players in the market-place.

I think it is so often done that people don't even realize it, where crony-capitalism (which I see as opposed to capitalism) is misrepresented as being actual capitalism.

ShivaFan

Satyameva Jayate
Premium Member
by the way Revolt brought up an interesting point about weeds... so as with anything, from medicine to food to power tools to blacksmitology we need to use common sense and caution....

I used the mongoose as my label for California Basmati Rice (we grow it in California) and the mongoose is an example of human error. The mongoose was introduced to US islands and other non-Asian regions to eat rats. The rats were seen as a threat at the time in regards to bubonic plague, a potential in Hawaii for example, due to the rat flea vector and due to rats eating grains and crops.

... this was in the 1800s in some areas, but human error was (1) the mongoose found it easier to eat bird eggs instead of rats, native bird went extinct in some cases and (2) they themselves can transfer bubonic plague and spread it. Today, if a new strain of plague comes, Hawaii is gravely at risk.

But a good capitalist will find a way to solve the mongoose issue if it comes to that.

Last edited:

Avi1001

Oh, so your a liberal.....I like you now. ;)

I guess I am a liberal capitalist. :D

I am a strong believer in the value of capitalism. My belief in capitalism does not mean I believe that people can do whatever they want without consequences.

I am particularly protective of capitalism under what I see to be a misuse of the legislative system, whereby special rules are created that give advantage, or are applied in a way so as to create an unfair advantage for certain players in the market-place.

I think it is so often done that people don't even realize it, where crony-capitalism (which I see as opposed to capitalism) is misrepresented as being actual capitalism.

Last edited: