• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Those who believe there is no God live by faith

Status
Not open for further replies.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
0052_08.gif

We'll all be laughing, even though we shouldn't when you and the low brow internet atheists get it. It'll be like drinking coffee and then spitting it out due to normal reaction.

Chick.com: No Fear?
What terrible theology and what hubris on your part. All about hell, all about “me,” all about fear. No unconditional love, no concern for “the least of these,” no joy.

Ayjaydee

What terrible theology and what hubris on your part. All about hell, all about “me,” all about fear. No unconditional love, no concern for “the least of these,” no joy.
So many Christian's take delight in the suffering of others. I find it hilarious

3rdAngel

For there to be a burden of proof, three things need be true: 1. One has made an existential claim that, if true, is demonstrable. 2. One wants to convince and be believed. 3. The one asking for proof uses evidence and reason to decide what is true about the world. Regarding point 2, there are times when I make existential claims that I can prove, but don't care enough to do so, or don't care to do so again, or is already accepted as common knowledge by those I do care to convince. This is the case with arguments like human chromosome 2.

I generally agree to what you have written here but I see it applying both ways. The burden of proof is usually on the person who brings a claim in a dispute. It is often associated with the Latin maxim semper necessitas probandi incumbit ei qui agit, a translation of which in this context is: "the necessity of proof always lies with the person who lays charges. So if you claim there is no God (wiki). If anyone has a position on a belief they have a mutual obligation to burden of proof.

Athiesm assumes that non existence of God is the default position until evidence is provided. This argument has been rejected by many over the years as bogus by arguing that "the true default position is neither theism nor atheism, but neither positions, adding "a claim to knowledge or no knowledge needs to be substantiated, ignorance need only be confessed".

Another words if you do not know and you have no evidence either way honesty is simply saying you do not know if there is a God or no God. If you believe God does not exist and have no external evidence that God does not exist then you also have a burden of proof to prove what you believe. If you cannot then your belief is one based on faith. All claims to truth have burden of proof. Although this is not important for a Christian as there evidence of God is in their personal experience with God and the collective witness in every generation since the beginning of time which is evidence in and of itself.

Regarding point 3, if a person is not open-minded and a critical thinker, by which I mean a person willing and able to consider evidence and any attendant argument dispassionately and logically, and is willing to be convinced by a compelling argument, then there is no way to prove anything to him, and thus there is no burden to even try.

Agreed but once again this is simply an argument that can apply both ways IMO and applies to both thiests and athiests.

I generally tell apologists requiring references to go find them themselves, since I know that they aren't really interested or else they would already have at least partial answers, probably won't even open any references provided, and won't understand them if they do. Since it's been invariably a waste of time in the past, I'm disinclined to comply.

Well big call on your side I would say. I would simply say not every person is the same or the reasons people make for requesting more information on something. It is not for me to say if someone cannot understand something or not IMO.

Learning is a cooperative effort between teacher and student. The student has to be receptive to learning to learn. Nobody can be convinced of anything that they have a stake in not believing, which causes them to be unwilling or unable to cooperate in this process. There is no way to prove anything to such people, so no obligation to try. Many do anyway, but this thread is excellent evidence of the futility of that.

Well your analogy I do not think that relevant here. We are not in a school this is simply a discussion board where people have a variety of beliefs and views before coming here. It is true however whatever one believes if they are not opened to changing their views and learning they views will never change. This is simply applicable to everyone that has a belief not simply targeted groups that you disagree with.

You've never provided any evidence that you understood what @Subduction Zone said, and plenty that you didn't. Repeatedly, you transform the words "I don't believe in gods" into "There are no gods." Then, you tell people that they claimed the latter by faith.

Nonsense. SZ made both claims that I posted in his own words after asking him directly that stating in his words that he does not believe in God or in the existence of God. The evidence I have provided is his own words.

Dan is one of my favorite Christians on RF, one of a minority of Christians who have learned to compartmentalize faith-based beliefs, and to reject all of the worst of Christianity such as its anti-intellectualism, homophobia, and atheophobia. There is nothing extreme or foreign about his thinking to me, which is similar to my own except for the god belief.

Well your claims I do not agree with in realation to Christianity so I will simply ignore them. I will just say you like him because he agrees with you and has more in common with your beliefs than he does with mine.

Nor does he seem to want to impose his beliefs on others, nor even to try to promote them. And he feels comfortable with unbelievers, not threatened or judgmental
I guess that what I am saying is that his religion doesn't seem to have harmed him. I believe that he would be just about the same gentle, empathetic, intelligent, well-educated person without it.

And I suspect you agree, and are dissatisfied with that. It seems that you'd like him to be more religious - more like you, who has not compartmentalized his faith, but rather, allowed it to bleed into all areas of his thinking.

Whereas you would like Christians like Dan to become Christians like you, I prefer that we move in the opposite direction. I'd like to see Christians become more like secular humanists. It seems that cultural Christianity - Christian culture without theism - is on the rise.

When I was a Christian, we were asked whether people would know that we were Christian without us telling them. The implication was that if they couldn't, you just weren't zealous enough in promoting Christianity. It was seen as a defect. One's faith was too weak, and your fire for God too small. Of course, that just serves the church and its desire to grow and increase bank deposits and its cultural clout. It wants adherents to advertise for them, also called evangelize or proselytize, whatever the personal price or social stigma.

And they know that there would be a price paid by the evangelizer, so they made it seem like a virtue when people reject not just their message, but them personally. When potential customers rebuff them, they wear it as a badge of honor, tell us how this was predicted in scripture, and see it as a sign that the unbeliever is struggling with his unbelief, when it is merely a reaction to their arrogance and presumption. I generally feel like I should be giving them advice on how to live, but I don't, because it would be arrogant and presumptive to offer unsolicited advice like that. Maybe if I added that it was a gift of love and that I really cared about them it wouldn't be arrogant.

When I lived in the American Bible Belt, I'd frequently get a business card with a Jesus fish on it - somebody selling Jesus again. But this was counterproductive with people like me, who wouldn't do business with such people. Their church was surely glad that he was out selling Christianity, and I'm sure they didn't mind any price he paid to benefit them.

I am not threatened by you or anyone here. I disagree with you however and given my reasons why I disagree. If I felt threatened in any way I would be silly to come here by myself when I am by myself. Although I do some others here that have a similar view to mine for which it is good to see. If I did not care for you as a Chrstian knowing what the scriptures teach and what God calls Christians to do in sharing his Word than I would not be following what I believe God wants me to do.

I do believe however and agree that unbelief in God is on the rise but according to the scriptures this is only a fulfullment of the prophecies of the end days before the end of mankind and the second coming.
There is no such thing as "christian culture without thiesm. That would be a contradiction of terms and simply not biblical for a christian. The rest of your post is simply your opinion here so no comment is required.

There it is. Thanks, but I'm not looking for help. Try skid row and death row. They're pretty needy and receptive. When people are safe and comfortable, they don't have much need for religion.

I think if you really felt safe and comfortable you would feel no need to respond to my posts. The fact that you do only shows me that your not comforatable with your own views. All I see from some people here is that in order to try and justify a view for no God that they cannot prove or have evidence for they simply make their religion (not literally) athiesm. This is the faith of many who do not believe in God or the existence of God IMO.

That's not my definition, since I don't believe in any gods. You're a Christian to me if you say are, which is the definitions that even Christians turn to when deciding how big their religion is. You've referred to billions of Christians, and 1/3 of the world. I can't imagine there being more than a percent of a percent of people who call themselves Christians but believe that they aren't.

Well that is what a "christian" is be definition. A "Christian" is a believer and follower of the teachings of Christ.

Even though I disagree with you it is nice to talk with you and thanks for sharing your view. :)

3rdAngel

you're the one made the hilarious claim they had an experience with god!! Hahahaha
No I made no such claims I made the statement that it is not for me to judge who has had a genuine experience and who has not. There is a difference. Seems you do not understand it. May I ask how old you are Ayjay? :)

Last edited:

3rdAngel

Right....so having faith does not mean that your beliefs are correct, and therefore is not a reliable pathway to truth.
It does not mean that my beliefs are not correct at all. It simply means I life by faith as I have no conclusive evidence to prove God to someone that has not had the experience a Christian has in knowing God or to those who God chooses to reveal himself to. My evidence and those of christians are a personal experience that I cannot give to you or that you can know about. I simply become part of a collective witness of those professing to know God that covers 1/3 of the current world population and those in every generation since time began. This is different to someone that believes that there is no God or does not believe in the existence of God though both beliefs have one thing in common. They both cannot externally prove God exists or prove God does not exist. Therefore both beliefs are faith based.

3rdAngel

I am assuming stage 6 or 7 based upon your reply of being in late stage dementia.
If you are willing to share the exact stage, then I shall not have to make assumptions.
If you have stage 6-7 dementia, I suggest you see a Doctor. :)

Last edited:
No god and live by faith? To say that there is no proof that god does not exist, asks another question. Which god exists? Is it any one of the thousands of hindu gods, allah, yaweh, ahura mazda, moleck, baal, pachacutec, zeus or any other of the many thousands of gods that have been claimed to exist?

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
hey both cannot externally prove God exists or prove God does not exist. Therefore both beliefs are faith based.
Your beliefs are faith based, because you have faith in the Bible as the word of a God, and you have faith that your experiences are real ones. What is it, again, that atheists have faith in? They have faith that no evidence exists? No, faith is not their motivator. Skepticism is their motivator. Their beliefs are based in skepticism, not faith. They see no evidence; they are skeptical about the claims of others.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Your beliefs are faith based, because you have faith in the Bible as the word of a God, and you have faith that your experiences are real ones. What is it, again, that atheists have faith in? They have faith that no evidence exists? No, faith is not their motivator. Skepticism is their motivator. Their beliefs are based in skepticism, not faith. They see no evidence; they are skeptical about the claims of others.
My prediction is that he will not allow himself to understand this.

james bond

I'm guessing that you only think that because you think it supports your beliefs.

In fact, it is run through with logical and factual holes.

I asked you to come up with a logical argument for atheist cosmology, but you haven't.

If p -> q, where p = the big bang had a beginning, q = God does not exist. If the big bang had a beginning, then God does not exist. So, if God exists, then the big bang did not have a beginning.

I think what science finds is CMB demonstrates what happened AFTER the big bang, but does not demonstrate that big bang had a beginning. All it shows is that the big bang happened according to atheist scientists. Thus, the big bang did not have a beginning unless you can demonstrate that it did using logic or science.

I can accept the big bang did not have a beginning as there is no evidence for it.

james bond

Why would we need a failed argument? Your question makes no sense. And anyone that can reason logically can quickly see the flaws in the Kalam. Those that claim it is logical never seem to be able to defend it.

If it is so logical, why don't you go through it. Preferably one step at a time and its failures can be explained to you.

I just continue to ignore you because you never or rarely answer my questions. Where is your cosmological argument? It means there is no quid pro quo in posting with you. All you do is ask a question after I give you the answer. It means you really don't have any good argument (just assertions or opinions). You do not have any valid sources as you do not post links I can read. IOW, you are boring af. It means you're an ignoramus and can be ignored. OTOH, I present valid arguments, so you can't help but follow like the low brow internet atheist you are.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
I asked you to come up with a logical argument for atheist cosmology, but you haven't.

Sorry, but there isn't an 'atheist cosmology'. There is a 'scientific cosmology', but that is independent of religion.

If p -> q, where p = the big bang had a beginning, q = God does not exist. If the big bang had a beginning, then God does not exist. So, if God exists, then the big bang did not have a beginning.

Yes, and I am denying that this implication is true. it is quite possible for the universe to exist and no God exist.

TE]I think what science finds is CMB demonstrates what happened AFTER the big bang, but does not demonstrate that big bang had a beginning. All it shows is that the big bang happened according to atheist scientists. Thus, the big bang did not have a beginning unless you can demonstrate that it did using logic or science.[/QUOTE]

Well, we don't know if it had a beginning or not. Strictly speaking, we only know what happened after the period of inflation. Before that, quantum effects start to dominate and we don't have a quantum theory of gravity. it is quite possible that time extends infinitely far back and that there is no singularity because it gets smoothed out by quantum effects. We simply don't know.

But that is irrelevant to Big Bang cosmology, which deals with the stuff after inflation. The Big Bang description deals with how the universe has cooled from a hot, dense state where nuclear fusion was going on everywhere, to the universe we see today. And that includes the prediction and detailed properties of the CMBR.

And it is also irrelevant to the question of the existence or non-existence of God. The Kalam argument simply doesn't manage to prove its case, even if the universe did have a beginning (which is also unproved).

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
I just continue to ignore you because you never or rarely answer my questions. Where is your cosmological argument? It means there is no quid pro quo in posting with you. All you do is ask a question after I give you the answer. It means you really don't have any good argument (just assertions or opinions). You do not have any valid sources as you do not post links I can read. IOW, you are boring af. It means you're an ignoramus and can be ignored. OTOH, I present valid arguments, so you can't help but follow like the low brow internet atheist you are.

Why do you think there needs to be a cosmological argument for atheism? let the scientists figure out what happened in the early universe and then go from there.

You are the one claiming the Kalam argument is valid, but you have failed to show why it is valid. And others have shown by simple examples (some of) why it is suspect.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
I generally agree to what you have written here but I see it applying both ways. The burden of proof is usually on the person who brings a claim in a dispute. It is often associated with the Latin maxim semper necessitas probandi incumbit ei qui agit, a translation of which in this context is: "the necessity of proof always lies with the person who lays charges. So if you claim there is no God (wiki). If anyone has a position on a belief they have a mutual obligation to burden of proof.

Athiesm assumes that non existence of God is the default position until evidence is provided. This argument has been rejected by many over the years as bogus by arguing that "the true default position is neither theism nor atheism, but neither positions, adding "a claim to knowledge or no knowledge needs to be substantiated, ignorance need only be confessed".

Precisely. When there is insufficient evidence, the best tactic is to withhold belief either way. And a lack of belief either way implies a lack of belief in a God, which is atheism.

james bond

Sorry, but there isn't an 'atheist cosmology'. There is a 'scientific cosmology', but that is independent of religion.

So, you admit you have nothing. These are religious debates, so I've been trying to use logic and cosmological arguments. Also, scientific cosmology is still philosophy. There is the philosophy of science tho.

Yes, and I am denying that this implication is true. it is quite possible for the universe to exist and no God exist.

All you are doing is making assertions KCA is invalid.

Then, show us how the big bang had a beginning. The ToE already had a beginning as a cell was given to Darwin. Darwin didn't create the ToE. What he did was explain how it worked.

The big bang cosmology already had a beginning as it sounds like big bang ex nihilo or big bang from nothing. IOW, one can't state there were something like quantum particles as nothing. Thus, Stephen Hawking died trying to find evidence for his beginning. Nothing should mean nothing or what the Bible describes as the void.

james bond

Why do you think there needs to be a cosmological argument for atheism? let the scientists figure out what happened in the early universe and then go from there.

You are the one claiming the Kalam argument is valid, but you have failed to show why it is valid. And others have shown by simple examples (some of) why it is suspect.

See my post #899.

Status
Not open for further replies.