• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This is part of the reason we end up with total lockdowns

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Well, it was Missouri, after all. Not that I really have anything against Missouri. I have family from Missouri. But I've been there, and I know that some of the people can be rather mule-headed about some things. It's not much different from AZ, except they have nicer lakes than we do.

At this point, I think health officials might be keeping an eye on this situation. I wouldn't be surprised if we hear about an outbreak in that area within the next week or two. A couple months ago, I read about some spring breakers who went to Mexico, and about a third of them tested positive after they got home.
There's a reason I tell people I'm from the "MidSouth." Especially after it turns out that, after no one telling me the leave the state/country since moving here, I get to the Ozarks part of Missouri, the part I am from. I am not very far or long in the state when I stop for gas, and am told by a ******* to leave the country, and then after I leave, I'm driving down the road, and now damn billboard is telling me to leave. (I had my suspicions random ******* was inspired)
I wouldn't be surprised to learn random ******* is a Church Goer, playing Russian Roullete Virus Exchange with his fellow Church Going congregates and putting the world at an elevated risk as a result.
I've known junkies with better senses.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
There's a reason I tell people I'm from the "MidSouth." Especially after it turns out that, after no one telling me the leave the state/country since moving here, I get to the Ozarks part of Missouri, the part I am from. I am not very far or long in the state when I stop for gas, and am told by a ******* to leave the country, and then after I leave, I'm driving down the road, and now damn billboard is telling me to leave. (I had my suspicions random ******* was inspired)
I wouldn't be surprised to learn random ******* is a Church Goer, playing Russian Roullete Virus Exchange with his fellow Church Going congregates and putting the world at an elevated risk as a result.
I've known junkies with better senses.

I remember one guy from Missouri telling me "At least we're not Oklahoma." I guess that's...something.

Dan From Smithville

Monsters! Monsters from the id! Forbidden Planet
Staff member
Premium Member
Like abolishing drug laws right? Different subject same principle.

And yea a good number of laws should be thrown in the trash for the very reason you can't control it don't matter what you do.

Let people make their own decisions and suffer their own consequences that's my philosophy on the matter.
Sure. Why not. People doing drugs are only hurting themselves and have no impact on others or society. Alcohol, guns, spreading disease, beating up others, murder, pooping on the sidewalk, sleeping in some random persons house or yard, stealing are all human nature that cannot be controled. Let's abolish all laws.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Sure. Why not. People doing drugs are only hurting themselves and have no impact on others or society. Alcohol, guns, spreading disease, beating up others, murder, pooping on the sidewalk, sleeping in some random persons house or yard, stealing are all human nature that cannot be controled. Let's abolish all laws.
Yeah we can get back to basics. You know, the real laws.

Simple things like don't steal don't kill etc.

Society doesn't simply have a need for the volume of laws that far exceed the encyclopedia Britannica by tenfold if not a hundred fold or more to the point that people don't even know how many we have anymore because it's just too high to count.

Yeah I'm for abolishing every single damn one of them and starting over.

Good-Ole-Rebel

Because yours are loaded and intended to produce certain responses so you can attempt to guide the conversation and catch me in a "gotcha" moment.

The mentality of the Church Going True Christian. To them, helping to prevent the spread of ilness and death is silly, amd they just can't see the difference between needs and wants, and they are confused about essential needs and desireable wants. They say they pray to their god for strength, but when times get rough their true character shows, they crack, they break, its all about them and their wants as gods little special snowflakes. For years they harass me for ceasing belief in their god, they pester me and tell me I need to go to church, and now they are selfishly putting others at risk so their self centered and trivial wants are satisfied. This is who they are.

Of course my questions are loaded. That is why I ask them. Not for a 'gottcha'. But to try and show how silly and wrong this Corona lockdown is.

Sort of like you are putting others at risk when you drive. Pretty selfish don't you think?

Good-Ole-Rebel

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
Well I know it's not 1% not even 2% if it were even to hit that high.

I would take it serious if it matched H1N1 in severity or had the equivalent effect of the Bubonic plague in medieval times.
So you don't think 100,000 dead people is enough to take this seriously?

I think it's outrageous.
The other thing I find outrageous is the cavalier attitude some people seem to have about the ever growing death rate. Are Americans just comfortable with mass deaths at this point? Funny how "pro-life" only seems to apply to fetuses. :shrug:

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member

Society doesn't simply have a need for the volume of laws that far exceed the encyclopedia Britannica by tenfold if not a hundred fold or more to the point that people don't even know how many we have anymore because it's just too high to count.

We don't need no stinking laws at all. Just every man or woman for themselves. We are the law. Whatever law that I deem fit for others is the law. The same for everyone else. Let's see how that works out.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member

Simple laws are still the regulation of human nature. You have persuaded me that it cannot be done, so abolish them all. What would be the point of having any? Simple or voluminous.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Only you're saying that.
I wish I could connect you and have you listen to the ones that I know who have had it.

One of them said that for 5 days he wish he were dead. To walk around 20 feet to go to the bathroom sometimes had to be done in two stints because of not being able to catch his breath and his weakness. My one neighbor (roughly 50 years of age) was in the hospital on oxygen for almost three weeks, and when he got home he still had to stay on it for another week. Does either of them sound like just having the flu to you?

Addum: Setting the debate aside for a moment, I wish your relatives friends and family all the best of health as possible, and my condolences for any deaths.
Same you as we've been through a lot here, but the hunkering down has definitely worked as our hospital rates are almost at normal capacity and are now going ahead with other medical procedures that had been put off.

Anyhow, take care.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
All I know is that I'm dealing with some serious mental health issues and this virus stuff has set me back in terms of fixing my shambles of a life. I can't go to the support groups or DBT therapy sessions I was attending,
I'm sorry for my post at you as I had forgotten that you had been struggling with this. My son and one of my granddaughters have bipolar disorder, as I think I mentioned to you before, and with my son his work situation aggravated it immensely, especially since he owns his own small business as a cement contractor.. Fortunately, he just started back this week.

My granddaughter has been doing Zoom counseling with her therapist, and it really has been helping her out.

The only reason I'm able to even be on the forum right now is because I bought a phone and paid for service with my stimulus check but I only have enough money to pay the bill for a couple more months. I don't know what to do. When that's shut off, that's it in terms of contacting people as the libraries remain closed.
Again, I'm sorry for posting back at ya yesterday, and I hope and pray that everything gets better for you and soon.

Take care, my friend.

Tambourine

Well I know it's not 1% not even 2% if it were even to hit that high.

I would take it serious if it matched H1N1 in severity or had the equivalent effect of the Bubonic plague in medieval times.
The Bubonic plague was the most devastatic plague in history and wiped out nearly one third of the population of medieval Europe.

The Spanish flu infected roughly a third of the world's entire population and likely killed 17-50 million people globally.

Twilight Hue

The Bubonic plague was the most devastatic plague in history and wiped out nearly one third of the population of medieval Europe.

The Spanish flu infected roughly a third of the world's entire population and likely killed 17-50 million people globally.
Yep. Now that's extremely serious.

Twilight Hue

We don't need no stinking laws at all. Just every man or woman for themselves. We are the law. Whatever law that I deem fit for others is the law. The same for everyone else. Let's see how that works out.
Too often our laws are now made and created for the benefit of corrupt individuals and politicians. I actually think society would probably be better off if a man truly was a king of his own castle.

Of course we won't have a country anymore as we most assuredly will end up looking like feudal Japan or China in the old old days.

It's a little too off topic but I think it would make a good thread on its own though.

Twilight Hue

So you propose to stop responding in any substantial way to a global pandemic until it has killed at least 17+ million people worldwide?
No I never said we stop responding. If you notice I said nothing of the sort. Its you guys who where putting words into my mouth in that regard.

What I've been saying all along is we need to reopen no matter what. Maybe that's where the confusion started.

To reiterate, we pretty much done what we've been asked to do like putting on mask, washing hands and face, and following the proper distancing guidelines by our health professionals and I think that should continue.

What I'm aiming at, is we now need to open as well. And I mean like right now before it's too late. There's enough damage as it is and we don't need to lose our society because of it.

Twilight Hue

So you propose to stop responding in any substantial way to a global pandemic until it has killed at least 17+ million people worldwide?
As controversial as it may sound, I would say yes that people need to determine a set number to where you would need to start taking more drastic measures.

I'm not a what if person, I'm more the one who advocates more drastic action when something actually happens. I'm sure I'm not alone when it comes to that mentality.

Past plagues and diseases make great templates in regards to determining what is more serious and what is less serious when it comes to appropriate actions.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Of course my questions are loaded.
Thats why I wont answer it. Loaded questions are traps, not questions. You are intersted only in harvesting certain responses, so you load a question to produce them.
Sort of like you are putting others at risk when you drive. Pretty selfish don't you think?
I drive safely, I dont drive intoxicated. My chances of being a wreck that is my fault is minimal. With covid, even bieing safe has a high risk of passing it because the virus is extremely contagious.
Your the only one being silly by not recognizing this and thinking well be jusy fine without lockdowns. But that gets people killed. Such as Brazil, which is becoming the new global hotspot due to a reckless president, lack of social distancing, and a lack of lockdowns.