• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

this is my first EVER forum posting

illudtempus

greetings.
i got bored surfing through the same old sites on the net and thought i'd give this whole forum thing a try. i'm new to all of this as you can see, so please be gentle.
in case you're wondering, i decided not to fill in the "interests" section in my profile because they keep changing.
nice to meet you all.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
illudtempus said:
greetings.
i got bored surfing through the same old sites on the net and thought i'd give this whole forum thing a try. i'm new to all of this as you can see, so please be gentle.
in case you're wondering, i decided not to fill in the "interests" section in my profile because they keep changing. ditto with my religious beliefs. i guess that's partly why i'm here.
nice to meet you all.
Hi illudtempus;
nice to meet you. If your religious beliefs are always changing, you will find someone on this forum who will 'fit in' with each of your changes.
I am interested in why you are at a point where you are so ready to change interests and beliefs soeasily. Why do you think that is?:)

robtex

Veteran Member
Hey so, you mean you have never posted in any forums? If that is so what made this one stand out?

martha

Welcome aboard, my dear. Hope you enjoy your stay. You will find everything you need here and then some!:)

Joyfully,
Martha

Master Vigil

Welcome!!! This place is great for people who "are just starting." I hope you enjoy yourself and don't be shy, go out and post!!!!

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
Hello and welcome! Glad to have you with us!

If you'd like a list of some of the more commonly used items here on RF, please look over here. (And if you have any questions about any of the topics, please feel free to ask me or anyone else! We try to be helpful!)

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
illudtempus said:
Hi michel,

Its not really that they change so easily, but rather, I have this tendency (for good or for bad) to leave something that I already enjoy in search of something better. It seems to me that there's always something more interesting behind door number 2. I'm glad I don't do drugs. (I tried, and decided that a sober consciousness was better.) Why I do this, I have no clue. Maybe its because of my perfectionist nature, or my neurotic tendencies. Maybe its because I don't understand what it means to be truly interested in something, to have a hobby (whatever that is).

As for my religious beliefs, its a harder question, one which I haven't been able to fathom for myself. Although I have nothing against those who employ the mix-and-match approach to religious doctrines, I have reservations against doing it myself. (But isn't this really the only option we have left in a postmodern, pluralistic world? "We are all heretics," says one religious scholar, I forget his name. Heresy, deriving from the Greek for "to choose"). I have jumped from many a religion to another, surveying and comparing, picking out aspects I liked and those I didn't. So I guess that by what I said I meant that I change between religions, the established institutions themselves. And only recently I figured that doing this wouldn't answer any questions for me. Not until I actually start believing. It doesn't matter in what or in whom. Well, I guess it does, but that isn't my primary concern. I need to know what believing is. What does a devout believer mean when he/she says "I believe in such and such"? And how do you know what belief is unless you already believe? Can you really say you know what happiness is unless you've felt it? (I won't even get into sensory experience, there's nothing in the world that's any more deceptive). And if that doesn't make you give up, religious mystics talk of a "knowing" that is different from any conventional forms of knowledge. And I ask.. "OK, so what IS IT? and HOW do you get it?" I lose myself in frustration.

This is where you go :banghead3 !
Sorry to have answered your questions with a hundred others. I have no answers, only more questions.

Hope to see you around.
Hey illudtempus;
I'm sorry not to have replied earlier. I have had to spend the day in bed - nothing serious, just trapped nerves.
I have 3 possibles for your need to keep 'changing' faiths
1) You are looking for PROOF that you have chosen the correct on (Probably what you call your perfectionis trait)
2) The 'enjoyment' of the Journey is always greater than the enjoyment of reaching the destination. Think about about it; you save up for a whole year to buy a new hi-fi. You go out and buy it, bring it home in a state of excitement. You unpack it, and start using it. Suddenly there comes a 'low' - that is human nature; we are often disappointed after having built up expectations.
3) You haven't the courage (and I'm not belliteling you in any way) to accept that you have the right to form your own 'composite faith' - you indicated that.

You ask what 'believing' is . Believing is a concept of accepting a premise without proof. That is all I can say, and I guess that sounds 'bleak' and unhelpful. It is not supposed to be. Come back again if you feel the need...........:)