• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This is getting insane :)

Nimos

This is a series of videos created using AI, for those that don't know what it is or why they should care. It means that the only thing required to make them is the text prompt on the screen telling the AI what to do. Besides typing the text, no humans have been involved in creating these videos.

To stress, these videos are not generated from other videos but from what we would call noise.

Last edited:

Koldo

Outstanding Member
This is a series of videos created using AI, for those that don't know what it is or why they should care. It means that the only thing required to make them is the text prompt on the screen telling the AI what to do. Besides typing the text, no humans have been involved in creating these videos.

To stress, these videos are generated from other videos but from what we would call noise.

It is the dawn of a new era.

Nimos

It is the dawn of a new era.
It is the era of AI, this one above can create videos of up to 1 minute, which might not sound like a lot, but only a few months ago this technology could create maybe 4-5 seconds.

Also, read that Sam Altman who is the CEO of OpenAI, is trying to raise 7 trillion dollars!! to put that into perspective:

We've covered this topic in the past when the world's GDP was $88 trillion (2020) and then $94 trillion (2021), and now according to the latest projections, the IMF expects the global economy to reach nearly $104 trillion in nominal value by the end of 2022.

No one in the history of humanity has tried this. And if you listen to the people who know about these things, the only way you are ever going to consider something like this realistic or able to convince investors is if you have something that is going to fundamentally change the world. It is 7.28%!! of the whole world economy.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member

To stress, these videos are not generated from other videos but from what we would call noise.
It underscores that we need a way to sign videos, images and sound files digitally; and when we receive such a video we need a way to check its digital signature. Currently a video is usually unsigned, so you can't tell if its from a science channel or just from some kids typing at a terminal.

There are ways of doing this, but currently its inconvenient and not easy enough for general use. We need something that we can tell to exclude videos that don't come from signed sources, and its got to fit into the various social media apps and browsers. Probably it ought to use a public key server.

If I see a video that claims to be from a journalist I need a way of knowing it comes from such a journalist. Currently I don't unless I can look up the video at the source.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
One which will make it difficult to tell the difference between reality and fantasy on the computer screen and other visual media formats.
Indeed. I have to assume that video evidence will be worthless in courts of law in a very short time.

This is a good time to be a blockchain developer; not nearly as good a time to start a career in the direction or production of live action movies, alas.

Nimos

It underscores that we need a way to sign videos, images and sound files digitally; and when we receive such a video we need a way to check its digital signature. Currently a video is usually unsigned, so you can't tell if its from a science channel or just from some kids typing at a terminal.

There are ways of doing this, but currently its inconvenient and not easy enough for general use. We need something that we can tell to exclude videos that don't come from signed sources, and its got to fit into the various social media apps and browsers. Probably it ought to use a public key server.

If I see a video that claims to be from a journalist I need a way of knowing it comes from such a journalist. Currently I don't unless I can look up the video at the source.
We already face the problem of figuring out what truth from fake media is even without these. And again these can be mass-produced in a few minutes.

I created this in less than 5 minutes, everything in it is done by an AI, I didn't fact-check anything.

It is extremely easy to figure out that you could fill it with incorrect information, combined with a "living" person and then hook it up to a computer to just generate rubbish 24-7.

Indeed. I have to assume that video evidence will be worthless in courts of law in a very short time.

This is a good time to be a blockchain developer; not nearly as good a time to start a career in the direction or production of live action movies, alas.
They have methods (watermarks) built into the videos and images that can be recognized by AI. But as with everything else related to IT, it's probably only a matter of time before someone figures out how to remove or bypass it.

And the effects are already being seen in the movie industry.

I have been watching AI very closely and watching the advancements very closely. I was in the middle of, and have been planning for the last four years, about an $800 million expansion at the studio, which would’ve increased the backlot a tremendous size — we were adding 12 more soundstages. All of that is currently and indefinitely on hold because of Sora and what I’m seeing. I had gotten word over the last year or so that this was coming, but I had no idea until I saw recently the demonstrations of what it’s able to do. It’s shocking to me.

800 million studios canceled

I think we can be pretty sure that others will be thinking the same if you invest X amount of millions of dollars now, it might take several years before that investment is operational. But where is AI at that time when it is moving so far? People risk losing their investments.

I know that some people are not concerned, but I think this is a tendency that we will see more and more of throughout 2024 as more companies have figured out how to apply or make use of it or are simply starting to examine the possibilities.

Nvidia CEO Jensen Huang has suggested that AI could soon make coding, a skill long considered a fundamental aspect of computer science, redundant. In his view, the rise of AI will allow people without traditional programming knowledge to easily develop complex programs.

Nvidia CEO says don’t learn coding because AI

And he is not the only one saying this and these people are not random YT, Nvidia is a giant company.

I think at some point people might consider taking it seriously :)

Regiomontanus

Ματαιοδοξία ματαιοδοξιών! Όλα είναι ματαιοδοξία.
...not nearly as good a time to start a career in the direction or production of live action movies, alas.

It does not stop there; AI is now writing code, so I don't think studying programming would be a wise thing to do now.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
It does not stop there; AI is now writing code, so I don't think studying programming would be a wise thing to do now.

Maybe it isn't. But I don't really see how we could fully automatize programming either, particularly in sensitive areas such as blockchains.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Maybe it isn't. But I don't really see how we could fully automatize programming either, particularly in sensitive areas such as blockchains.
I agree. Letting AI do everything is equal to letting someone else control your AI. We must understand the product and the process.

Regiomontanus

Ματαιοδοξία ματαιοδοξιών! Όλα είναι ματαιοδοξία.
Oh, programming jobs will not go away. But the number of such jobs will decrease rapidly, I think.

Nimos

Oh, programming jobs will not go away. But the number of such jobs will decrease rapidly, I think.
I think the argument is, that programming will simply change. How we write programs today is purely due to humans being "bad" at it. Don't misunderstand that as meaning incompetent.

But here is an example of some python code:

from PIL import Image
import numpy as np

from modules import scripts_postprocessing, shared
import gradio as gr

from modules.ui_components import FormRow, ToolButton
from modules.ui import switch_values_symbol

upscale_cache = {}

class ScriptPostprocessingUpscale(scripts_postprocessing.ScriptPostprocessing):
name = "Upscale"
order = 1000

def ui(self):
selected_tab = gr.State(value=0)

with gr.Column():
with FormRow():
with gr.Tabs(elem_id="extras_resize_mode"):
with gr.TabItem('Scale by', elem_id="extras_scale_by_tab") as tab_scale_by:

upscaling_resize = gr.Slider(minimum=1.0, maximum=8.0, step=0.05, label="Resize", value=4, elem_id="extras_upscaling_resize")......

Even for a skilled programmer, it will take time to go through it and figure out what it does. There is really no way around it.

This is only part of the code, but I took the whole code and threw it into ChatGPT and asked it to tell me what it does.

This code appears to be part of a larger program or module for image processing. Here's a breakdown of what it does:

1. It imports necessary libraries/modules:
    • PIL: This is the Python Imaging Library, used for handling images.
    • numpy: This library is used for numerical computing, particularly for handling arrays and matrices efficiently.
    • gradio: This is a library used for creating interactive web interfaces for machine learning models.
    • Several modules and components from custom-defined namespaces (modules, shared, etc.) are imported as well.
  2. It defines a dictionary called upscale_cache which seems to be used for caching upscaled images.
  3. It defines a class called ScriptPostprocessingUpscale, which is a subclass of scripts_postprocessing.ScriptPostprocessing. This class seems to be handling the upscaling of images as part of a post-processing pipeline......
  4. ....
Overall, this code defines a system for interactively upscaling images using different algorithms and settings. It seems to be designed with modularity and extensibility in mind, allowing for easy integration into a larger image processing application.

And it does this in seconds. The computer doesn't understand the code above in the same way as humans do, it transforms it into machine code.

So if you can tell it to create a program that does this and that and it simply creates it directly as machine code, you don't need programmers for a lot of things.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
I know that some people are not concerned, but I think this is a tendency that we will see more and more of throughout 2024 as more companies have figured out how to apply or make use of it or are simply starting to examine the possibilities.

Nvidia CEO Jensen Huang has suggested that AI could soon make coding, a skill long considered a fundamental aspect of computer science, redundant. In his view, the rise of AI will allow people without traditional programming knowledge to easily develop complex programs.

Nvidia CEO says don’t learn coding because AI

And he is not the only one saying this and these people are not random YT, Nvidia is a giant company.

I think at some point people might consider taking it seriously :)

Software development is about much more than merely writing code, though. It is also about how to optimally approach problem-solving, how to structure code, how to translate client requirements into optimized code, etc. There is a reason many software projects have multiple teams working on them with different specializations (e.g., project management versus technical leadership). An AI couldn't talk to a client about complex requirements or to an organization about delivering a large software project, for example—these are aspects of software development that sometimes require entire teams of humans and excellent communication skills, not just coding.

The article that quotes Jensen Huang also touches on the above regarding coding:

-Nvidia CEO's words were echoed by John Carmack, who is the former CTO Oculus VR. "Coding was never the source of value, and people shouldn’t get overly attached to it. Problem-solving is the core skill. The discipline and precision demanded by traditional programming will remain valuable transferable attributes, but they won’t be a barrier to entry," he said in an X post responding to Huang's video. "I suspect that I will enjoy managing AIs more, even if they wind up being better programmers than I am," he added.

-Jensen Huang's vision presents an optimistic scenario where AI equips individuals with new skills and capabilities. Satish H C's analysis acknowledges the real possibility of job displacement and the need for companies to adapt to this new technological reality. The broader implication is that AI's impact on the job market will be multifaceted. Some roles may become obsolete as AI becomes more sophisticated, but new opportunities will emerge for those willing to upskill and adapt to the changing landscape. In the end, the evolution of AI will require both individuals and companies to be proactive in learning new skills and accepting technological advancements to remain competitive in the job market.

I do believe that AI will, at the very least, most likely lead to a major reduction in the number of "grunt coding" jobs, but if someone doesn't have a skillset beyond writing basic code, they will need to acquire more skills to advance in their career, with or without the existence of AI. There would be little use in generating code via AI if one didn't know how to optimize, structure, and maintain a software project, or if they didn't know how to bring together large modules to form a complete software product per a given set of requirements.

My own field of specialization is in software, so I have worried about the potential of AI to replace programmers. I have come to believe that there is little point in worrying, though, because I can't do anything about the rapid progress of AI. Instead, I believe it is best to try to adapt and acquire new skills as the market inevitably shifts in terms of its demands and desired skills. We (programmers) might as well integrate AI into our work and expand our skillset to include skills that AI couldn't match (e.g., efficient communication with clients) instead of worrying about being replaced by it without trying to adapt.

Nimos

Software development is about much more than merely writing code, though. It is also about how to optimally approach problem-solving, how to structure code, how to translate client requirements into optimized code, etc. There is a reason many software projects have multiple teams working on them with different specializations (e.g., project management versus technical leadership). An AI couldn't talk to a client about complex requirements or to an organization about delivering a large software project, for example—these are aspects of software development that sometimes require entire teams of humans and excellent communication skills, not just coding.
Maybe, maybe not, I don't think the issue is the programming itself, I think you can eventually get the AI to be so good at it that it can program anything. I think the biggest issue, will be the design of programs, meaning humans have to explain to the AI what they want their program to be able to do, this gets even more complicated in larger programs, that might have to solve lots of different tasks.

So whether computer programming will be more of a computer software design in the future I think is very possible. To simplify what I mean is, that you don't need to know how a calculator works as long as you know how to type into it and get the result you need. And the question is whether computer software design will become a fundamental ability taught in schools. So children from a young age will become so used to simply designing software to do what they need that it is extremely easy and common. Again, for large software solutions, this might not be the case.

Another example was when I grew up, computers in schools were very uncommon, in fact in the beginning you weren't allowed to use them, then we started getting classes on how to use Word and stuff like that. And in the later years, you were not allowed to hand in anything that wasn't written on a computer. My point is that things can rapidly change as new technologies are integrated.

My own field of specialization is in software, so I have worried about the potential of AI to replace programmers. I have come to believe that there is little point in worrying, though, because I can't do anything about the rapid progress of AI. Instead, I believe it is best to try to adapt and acquire new skills as the market inevitably shifts in terms of its demands and desired skills. We (programmers) might as well integrate AI into our work and expand our skillset to include skills that AI couldn't match (e.g., efficient communication with clients) instead of worrying about being replaced by it without trying to adapt.
I do agree with you, that it is a grey area at the moment. But simply looking at the tendencies of how many companies and tools are being developed to automate programming I think shows where things are going. And again you have to keep in mind that the ultimate goal is to create AGI. Which when happens is basically a superhuman, so things we take for granted now that only humans can do it, it would be able to do as well, simply better and faster. If things go as they expect, you would have AGI software engineers with 1400+ IQ, being able to type away and design systems insanely fast.

This is why the whole AI/AGI is so worrying because no one really seems to know what the capabilities of such systems are. Even now those designing them can't explain how they are able to do certain things, some of these abilities simply seem to emerge out of nothing.

I want to make it completely clear that im not saying it is all doom and bad things, simply that things are so blurred and unknown because we are dealing with systems whose aim is intelligence. And even in this current "primitive" stage we are in now, we already can't explain certain things. It is vastly different than simply creating a computer program to solve a specific task, where you know exactly what it will be able to do.

Nimos

They are working on it :)

These are not the only ones, but here you can see how it could work.