• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

This again, but I have to vent

Maya3

I know that we have spoken about this before. But this article really sends me into a hissyfit! I'm a writer and I my characters cannot even drink coffee or get mail from the mailman unless I meticulously research whether or not they had coffee or how the mail was delivered at this particular time. And my book is FICTION!!!

She is supposedly an academic! What is she thinking??? :facepalm:

Indian Censorship and the Curious Case of Wendy Doniger*|*Murali Balaji

Maya

Last edited:

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend Maya,

That's an old news and every action has an opposite and more than equal [personal understanding ] reaction so due to banning the book it got very good publicity and Penguin did not withdraw or trash the books already sold and also the book began freely available on the net and Wendy Doniger a famous name. Am sure he next book will sell even better. Hahahaha!!!!!!!!!
Though personally downloaded the book but never read it due to inertia [laziness].
Finally we must understand that there are always two sides to a coin and for every negative by default a positive to is around, only then does this universe always maintains balance.
Doniger ha understood this and is not hiding her face but is smiling so should you!

Love & rgds

Kalidas

I know that we have spoken about this before. But this article really sends me into a hissyfit! I'm a writer and I my characters cannot even drink coffee or get mail from the mailman unless I meticulously research whether or not they had coffee or how the mail was delivered at this particular time. And my book is FICTION!!!

Maya

I understand the anger, I do. Understand that she is merely disguising misguided "hate speak" as "academic". Tis better to ignore her

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
She is primarily responsible for me having to go on a second blood pressure medication and water pill.

Satyamavejayanti

Maya

You know what is funny, the likes of Zakir Niak got me interested into the Arya Samaj/Agniveer side which led to the Vedas, and Wendy got me interested in Rajiv Malhotra and his works.

So hopefully some good can come out of all this.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Maya, as I have said earlier, this reflects on the writer, her upbringing, her religion, her education, in short 'samskaras'. Wendy Doniger was given these 'samskaras'.

It also reflects on the 'samskaras' of the person who wrote the report. Why should this case be considered 'curious'? Penguins had every right to dispute the accusation in the court. They did not do it. It means they knew that their case was weak. The courts would have termed the book as 'inflamatory' and then banned it according to the prevalent law in India. Now, no one should expect the court to go against the Constitution and the law established by the elected representatives of the people. They can, of course, continue to sell it outside India where the Indian law is not operative. But as Satyamevajayanti said, it would only bring Hinduism to more people. Therefore, ignore, just forget it (also do not read any book by Wendy Doniger in future. You know it is hate and not scholarship).

सत्यमेव जयते नानृतं सत्येन पन्था विततो देवयानः l
Satyameva jayate nanritam, satyena pantha vitato devayanah l
(Truth alone prevails, not untruth; by the path of truth is laid out the divine way)

Last edited: