• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Things you never thought would happen...

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Oh god... it's like the church I was forced to go to as a kid that told parents not to let their kids watch the Carebears because the show taught satanic humanism.

It's sad when such insignificant things become a challenge against one's faith, imo. o_O

Did you watch the Carebears?

Did you ever consider that's why you're Agnostic now? o_O

Aldrnari

Did you watch the Carebears?

Did you ever consider that's why you're Agnostic now? o_O

I didn't watch them, actually. What a puzzling thing to suggest... o_O

I was a very serious Christian for the vast majority of my life (up until a few years ago).

What made me change my path, is that I actually decided I wanted to evaluate my beliefs in an intellectually honest way. My religious education was biased and intentionally limited, which made me realize just how little I truly knew when faced with actual introspection vs. real life concepts and information.

For me, it feels like a great weight has been lifted from my shoulders, and I feel excited to learn again. Life has a lot more depth for me vs. the way things were before, and I don't feel guilty for simply just asking an honest question. Nobody should. :)

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
I didn't watch them, actually. What a puzzling thing to suggest... o_O

I was a very serious Christian for the vast majority of my life (up until a few years ago).

What made me change my path, is that I actually decided I wanted to evaluate my beliefs in an intellectually honest way. My religious education was biased and intentionally limited, which made me realize just how little I truly knew when faced with actual introspection vs. real life concepts and information.

For me, it feels like a great weight has been lifted from my shoulders, and I feel excited to learn again. Life has a lot more depth for me vs. the way things were before, and I don't feel guilty for simply just asking an honest question. Nobody should. :)

I was just curious if they were right about the satanic influences.;)

I agree you should be able to ask reasonable questions and expect reasonable answers.

Last edited:

Grandliseur

So, my partner at work is a religious Muslim lady. She's very pious. She is also an extremely hard worker, and I have nothing but nice things to say about her.

Yesterday at the Christmas potluck, however, one of my coworkers offered her some lumpia. My partner asked if there was any pork in it, and unfortunately, there was.

So, my partner shrugged, said f*** it (literally), then promptly downed the lumpia like it was nothing.

It's the simple things in life that make it all worth while. :D
There is a very bad song out there, but it makes a point about how in life so many things happen that one never expects shall - at least to yourself.

Of course, now that I want to find it, I can't. The wrong one seems to pop up.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
Devout when it's convenient. First its one transgression than another. Soon we have a secular Muslim. Such is the wickedness of the west.

The Imams are right to be alarmed.

That's how it starts. Every journey begins with the first steps.....every step you take is further to come back. If you go too far, there might be no way back.
If you can't be faithful in the small things, you can't be faithful in the big ones.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
She violated her religious commands. In secular terms that's akin to breaking the law. If she truly believed that those commandments are from G-d then she would have more respect for them and thus her god. I just dislike her attitude towards her god.
I had a discussion about this recently about Buddhism and not turning down meat product food gifted to you. Many Buddhists are vegetarian but don't refuse food given to them, so long as it wasn't something they requested or made specifically for them. They don't see it as being disrespectful [to life] but not letting standing on airs get in the way of what's more disresectful: alienating allied with piety and wastefulness. Not sure if this woman had a similar idea but it's a thought.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
That's how it starts. Every journey begins with the first steps.....every step you take is further to come back. If you go too far, there might be no way back.
If you can't be faithful in the small things, you can't be faithful in the big ones.

To play devil's advocate, didn't you support cannabis legalization? I doubt the JW organization would approve.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
To play devil's advocate, didn't you support cannabis legalization? I doubt the JW organization would approve.

I support the legalization of medicinal cannabis, not the weed that people smoke to get high. Perhaps you need to educate yourself on the difference?

Many in my brotherhood would use medicinal cannabis in a heartbeat if it was legal. It can treat so many illnesses and chronic pain. Some strains have cured cancer.
It remains illegal for disgusting reasons.....greed. It was never a real threat to anyone....it is non-addictive unlike alcohol and tobacco...and improves health rather than making people sicker like 'pharma' drugs do with their awful side-effects.

As I said, anyone can abuse anything......used as medicine this plant is amazing!

Duke_Leto

She violated her religious commands. In secular terms that's akin to breaking the law. If she truly believed that those commandments are from G-d then she would have more respect for them and thus her god. I just dislike her attitude towards her god.

Maybe she thought it was a test from God to encourage her to break arbitrary rules when she can't see a benefit to following them?

Aldrnari

Originally I started this thread thinking of this as some funny, insignificant thing, but I'm a bit amazed at how people seem to respond...

Am I missing something, or is it really that big of a deal? o_O

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Originally I started this thread thinking of this as some funny, insignificant thing, but I'm a bit amazed at how people seem to respond...

That's the thing with abrahamic religions. They tend to make a lot of trivial, arbitrary things out to be a big deal.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member

I was surprised that everyone jumped on my bandwagon and responded to what I said rather than what you said.

It's not that she ate porc necessarily, it's her attitude towards her god and his commandments that rubbed me the wrong way. Sure, I agree, not eating pigflesh isn't such an issue and may be seen as a triviality; but for me that's not the point. We obey G-d's commands because we love G-d and respect Him, not always because what He asks makes sens to us. With this in mind, it's her blasé attitude that irritates me. It's akin to when your parent says, Don't do this, and even though you may find the rule restrictive, silly or confusing, you obey anyway because they are your parents and you respect them, knowing that (most of the time) they only have your welfare in mind. Just as I look down on kids who disrespect their parents, I look at this woman.

Aldrnari

I was surprised that everyone jumped on my bandwagon and responded to what I said rather than what you said.

It's not that she ate porc necessarily, it's her attitude towards her god and his commandments that rubbed me the wrong way. Sure, I agree, not eating pigflesh isn't such an issue and may be seen as a triviality; but for me that's not the point. We obey G-d's commands because we love G-d and respect Him, not always because what He asks makes sens to us. With this in mind, it's her blasé attitude that irritates me. It's akin to when your parent says, Don't do this, and even though you may find the rule restrictive, silly or confusing, you obey anyway because they are your parents and you respect them, knowing that (most of the time) they only have your welfare in mind. Just as I look down on kids who disrespect their parents, I look at this woman.

Ok, that makes a little more sense, though the version of events that I told was condensed, and I had left some details out. From my perspective, it seemed more about her own inhibitions rather than any kind of open defiance towards Allah, but then again, that's just from my outside perspective.

Just blame me as a bad story teller. :D

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I had a discussion about this recently about Buddhism and not turning down meat product food gifted to you. Many Buddhists are vegetarian but don't refuse food given to them, so long as it wasn't something they requested or made specifically for them. They don't see it as being disrespectful [to life] but not letting standing on airs get in the way of what's more disresectful: alienating allied with piety and wastefulness. Not sure if this woman had a similar idea but it's a thought.

'Tis a conundrum for me too. I eat meat but do not eat beef. My family is Italian-American Roman Catholic. Everything they make is laced with beef in some form. They would slip meatballs into pastries if they could.

I have several choices:
  1. Ask my family to alter the way they cook and prepare dishes especially for me. Not going to happen.
  2. Avoid the family altogether.
  3. Not eat (did that once, not a happy visit).
  4. Eat the food and deal with the karmic consequences (as if that's the worst thing I have to deal with).