• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

There is no more Boy Scouts.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
From what I understand, not in the same way as the Scouts.

I apologize. My experience has been from my own wife who was in Girl Scouts and did nothing that the Boy Scouts did. Her experience was a lot of cookie selling and cooking with day camps that didn't include some of the activities her brother was doing in Boy Scouts. That could have been an issue with her troop, or a funding issue.

I didn't mean to suggest that the Girl Scouts themselves or the people leading the troops were to blame.

I did mean to suggest--and I could be very wrong--that the Boy Scouts are a more recognized organization that give members an advantage in things like getting jobs (through connections and social clout).

There are also studies that suggest a disparity in how much STEM related activities are offered in the Girl Scouts. SAGE Journals: Your gateway to world-class research journals

I am not opposed to the move to allow girls to access the Scouts for this reason. But I wonder if a better move would be a combining of the organizations with more freedom surrounding gender inclusion. Our society is becoming less structured around specific gender roles anyway.
Clearly things were troupe specific. My wife's troupe when she was a scout learned to sail I believe the Joseph Conrad ship at Mystic Seaport. She also as a volunteer took girls on canoe trips. I'm sure more was involved but those are the only two things that stuck in my mind - her girl scout uniform had many badges but what they were for has faded from my mind.

Jonathan Bailey

Here's another thing.

I wasn't there when it happened, so I could be wrong. No promises.

But my high school flipped in a way. Seriously Catholic HS.

They started requiring boys to take Home Ec. And girls to take Shop.

Boys needed to learn about basic cooking and cleaning and such. Girls needed to know how to diagnose a car problem and balance a checkbook and such. Made perfect sense to me. Teach the kids things that they probably wouldn't learn in the Catholic, traditional gender role, world we lived in.

Things were better in the 70s.
Tom

In the 1970's, only boys took shop and only girls took homemaking in the public high schools and junior high schools in northern Californian where I lived. In 1982, my class-of year, there were only two girls at auto shop at my Novato HS. Public schools never forced anybody to take such courses.

Because Girl Scouts still won't accept boys, it seems like they are forcing young women to cling to their gender more. Boys Scouts wanted castrate boys on the other hand with this inclusion. It sends the false message that the female sex is more significant.

Last edited:

exchemist

Veteran Member
Some strange bug that make girls unattractive to pre-adolescent boys. When one comes down with them there is no recovery, one is drawn to girls forever:eek:
Oh I see. Yes, I remember that phase among my school friends - though I always secretly found the girls rather exciting.......

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
In the 1970's, only boys took shop and only girls took homemaking in the public high schools and junior high schools in northern Californian where I lived. In 1982, my class-of year, there were only two girls at auto shop at my Novato HS. Public schools never forced anybody to take such courses.

Because Girl Scouts still won't accept boys, it seems like they are forcing young women to cling to their gender more. Boys Scouts wanted castrate boys on the other hand with this inclusion. It sends the false message that the female sex is more significant.
Don't you mean '80's? In the '70's I took both shop and home ec. Nor was I the only one. Perhaps my school was ahead of its time. And I seriously doubt if the Boy Scouts are trying to "castrate" boys in any way.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
The male sex has become extinct it might seem.

Boy Scouts of America | Prepared. For Life.™

For the first time in its 100+ year history, the iconic program of the Boy Scouts of America is open to both young men and young women. Scouts BSA is a year-round program for boys and girls in fifth grade through high school that provides fun, adventure, learning, challenge, and responsibility to help them become the best version of themselves.

Since when does BOY mean child of either sex?
Have they lost their Websters?

This is one big reason I'm not a parent and never will be.

I will not bring new children into a gender-confused world full of two-legged scum that calls itself "the human race". As far as I'm concerned the world can just die out altogether.
Seems rather inane to me. But then again, the kids clubs I attended were always gender mixed. I have never once been confused over my gender or sex.
If the Boy Scouts are doing something different to the Girl Scout variety, then let them mix. Who cares?
Not that I'm against boy only clubs or girl only clubs. But talking and interacting with the opposite sex is considered quite a valuable thing to teach the younguns these days. So I like that social aspect.
My friend attended what we call "Girl Guides" as a kid. I don't know how similar that is to Girl Scouts. But there was usually at least one guy who was unofficially a member and eventually ended up as part of the team. No one died, as far as I'm aware.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
The male sex has become extinct it might seem.

Boy Scouts of America | Prepared. For Life.™

For the first time in its 100+ year history, the iconic program of the Boy Scouts of America is open to both young men and young women. Scouts BSA is a year-round program for boys and girls in fifth grade through high school that provides fun, adventure, learning, challenge, and responsibility to help them become the best version of themselves.

Since when does BOY mean child of either sex?
Have they lost their Websters?

This is one big reason I'm not a parent and never will be.

I will not bring new children into a gender-confused world full of two-legged scum that calls itself "the human race". As far as I'm concerned the world can just die out altogether.
Their numbers are declining, so they are opening it up for girls. Maybe some girls want to do the camping thing. Girls Scouts does not do that kind of thing.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Their numbers are declining, so they are opening it up for girls. Maybe some girls want to do the camping thing. Girls Scouts does not do that kind of thing.
Camping was one of the big draws to the Boy Scouts. I have heard that the Girl Scouts are underfunded and that would make camping difficult. Also traditionally women have not been as into camping as men, that would be a bit of a handicap when it came to getting adult help.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
My mother told me back in the 1970's that she and my father both brought me into the world. It takes TWO to tango. Why did God supposedly create male and female?
Good question.
Especially when one takes into consideration that the next time he gets involved is to knock up Mary with a "to hell with the male/female thing"

HonestJoe

Yep, no more 'Boy' Scouts (that's unacceptable for some reason) just 'Scouts'... Except, there is of course still 'Girl' Scouts, that is acceptable in our PC culture.
Not at all. Some people complain about single-sex organisations but some people are complaining about them going co-ed too (which is no less of a “PC” argument really). There are a whole load of different youth organisations out there, some that are (and long have been) single-sex and some that are (and long have been) co-ed. There’s no global ruling being pushed here. The heads of the BSA have listened to all of the different opinions and reached a conclusion. The Girl Scouts will have almost certainly also heard all the different opinions and they’ve also reached a conclusion. They’ve reached different conclusions because they’re different organisations.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Really? I thought 'Scouting for boys' was the Girl Scouts/Guides motto - and one can't really legislate against nature. The older girl of the two I mentioned had a Scout boyfriend. :couplekiss:
I'm talking about dating between Scouts of the same troop and sexual activity while on Scout outings. That's most likely not allowed.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
I'm talking about dating between Scouts of the same troop and sexual activity while on Scout outings. That's most likely not allowed.

Allowed or not I would think it would happen (since when has it being illegal stopped any?) - and I didn't have the nosiness to ask if the couple were having sex on this camp.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Allowed or not I would think it would happen (since when has it being illegal stopped any?) - and I didn't have the nosiness to ask if the couple were having sex on this camp.
Well, there was a couple who would bang in the computer class at one of my high schools. Just because it happens doesn't mean it should or it's allowed.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Well, there was a couple who would bang in the computer class at one of my high schools. Just because it happens doesn't mean it should or it's allowed.

At my secondary school they seemed more discreet - the sexual assaults were obvious enough though.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
At my secondary school they seemed more discreet - the sexual assaults were obvious enough though.
I didn't see it. I just heard trying girl talking about it and told teachers, which already knew and didn't seem to care. It was a horrible school. It's a charter school. They get away with a lot of crap at those schools.