• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

There is NO Historical Evidence for Jesus

lukethethird

unknown member

The story itself is evidence. The religion that follows from it is evidence. That so many people find it not only plausible, but profoundly significant is evidence. That the story conveys so much functional truth that people can test and personally experience in their own lives is evidence. Everything related to it is evidence.

But you can't see any of that because you think you are the arbiter of what is and isn't evidence. And you have no intention of accepting anything as evidence for the existence of God, or Christ, or even Jesus the man; ever. So you define evidence so absurdly narrowly as to eliminate any possibility of it existing. And then you walk away all pleased with yourself for having stood "undefeated" in your righteousness, against your "enemy's" absurd and foolish error.

Right?
Oh my God, evidence to verify that the protagonist in question is based on an actual person. Is that so difficult to understand? No, liking the story does not make it based on actual events of an actual time and place in history. The Bible cannot be used to verify The Bible no matter how much it inspires people. This should not be so difficult, it's called backing up your claims.

PureX

Veteran Member
Oh my God, evidence to verify that the protagonist in question is based on an actual person.
It's ALL evidence of that. Why can't you accept that?
Is that so difficult to understand?
I do understand. You want to define evidence so narrowly that you can't have any. You want bones, or DNA, or some disinterested written direct documentation. But there isn't any of that for the vast majority of humans that lived and died in that time and place. The fact that there is any story at all is pretty good evidence that someone did something extraordinary. And the fact that he wasn't a king or an emperor makes that even more likely. But that means nothing to you. Right? That's not even unconvincing evidence. To you it's no evidence at all. It's just unrelated, meaningless information.
No, liking the story does not make it based on actual events of an actual time and place in history.
I didn't say anything about "liking" it. I said that people living in close proximity found the story believable. And have ever since. That's a lot of people, And believe it or not, a lot of them were a lot smarter than you. Especially the ones that understand that hisrtrical accuracy is irrelevant to the truth of the story.
The Bible cannot be used to verify The Bible no matter how much it inspires people. This should not be so difficult, it's called backing up your claims.
Evidence does not have to verify anything to stand as evidence. This is what you can't seem to grasp.

Last edited:

PureX

Veteran Member
OK, so there are no facts as concerns an historical Jesus, thank you, and may your God go with you.
You have no way of knowing what parts of the story are factual an what aren't. And neither do I. For all either of us knows it could have all happened exactly as told. Or it could all be fictitious. And it wouldn't make any difference, anyway, because it's a mythical story, now. It's no longer about being factual. It's about conveying an ideology. Something you don't understand at all.

PearlSeeker

If the writers of the NT fabricated anything, then who's to say they didn't fabricate the whole story.
If they would fabricate the whole story they would left out things like baptism, the temple incident and the crucified messiah. It looks like they couldn't left it out because they had a hard time with apologetic explaining how these events fit the story.

This means high historical probability.

Audie

Veteran Member
The Guardian of the Baha'i Faith, Shoghi Effendi, went to England to study English so He could better translate the Writings of Baha'u'llah from Persian and Arabic into English.

From his studies Shoghi Effendi determined that King James English was the best form to portray Persian and Arabic to English speakers.

Apparently Persian and Arabic have a form of poetic prose that is hard to portray to English speakers. King James English must in a small way convey some of that poetic prose experienced by Persian and Arabic speakers.

Shoghi Effendi said that the future may see different translations.
The given reasons may be accurate.

To me it looks like appropriation,
hijacking gravitas.

But then an atheist won't be inclined to think
anyone's religion is anything but phony.

Colt

No, he's not.

(Well, that was easy.)
Sure he is, Jesus is here in spirit. When he returned to heaven he poured out the spirit of truth upon all flesh. But Atheist hecklers on religious forums are clueless about the existence of such a spirit. Atheists have an evil spirit.

Imop

F1fan

Veteran Member
Sure he is, Jesus is here in spirit. When he returned to heaven he poured out the spirit of truth upon all flesh. But Atheist hecklers on religious forums are clueless about the existence of such a spirit. Atheists have an evil spirit.

Imop
I suggest it is believers like you who take on a huge burden. If you really think Jesus exists in any way and is important then not doubt you work very hard to live as Jesus did, and not just hold a head full of beliefs as if that's all that matters.

Do you think you live your life anything like jesus? If not then I suggest you are the actual heckler against Jesus and what he stood for.

Last edited:

Audie

Veteran Member

Imop
" poured out the spirit of truth upon
all flesh" :D

Sure missed you

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
I suggest it is believers like you who take on a huge burden. If you really think Jesus exists in any way and is important then not doubt you work very hard to live as Jesus did, and not just hold a head full of beliefs as if that's all that matters.

Do you think you live your life anything like jesus? If not then I suggest you are the actual heckler against Jesus and what he stood for.

In my opinion, the post you responded to is certainly pompous, and it reeks of hypocrisy. I won't say anything else other than post these quotes.

"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.” Mahatma Gandhi

While I like Gandhi's quote, I like this quote by Brendan Manning even more: "The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today is Christians, who acknowledge Jesus with their lips, walk out the door, and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable."

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Are you telling Christians that the Gospels aren’t factual?
Many Christians don't think the gospels are "factual", but they are still considered to speak and teach great truths. Can you figure out how that can be possible? PureX actually explained that if you didn't catch it.