• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

There is no evidence for God, so why do you believe?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Whether you believe the bible or not doesn't matter. That was a passage that affirms the word of God is hidden within the words of God.
So what? If the Lord of the Rings has a passage in it that affirms that it is the true story of the Earendil does that make it factual?

A book claiming that it is the "word of God" is not evidence for anything besides the fact that the book claims that.

Phin

That is not an "affirmation". That is a claim of the Bible. How do you know that the Bible is a reliable record?
It's one example of thousands that I am saying proves the existence of God. My whole point is that I think it's impossible for a human to write a book that has an entire hidden meaning that's not in the text.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
It's one example of thousands that I am saying proves the existence of God. My whole point is that I think it's impossible for a human to write a book that has an entire hidden meaning that's not in the text.
I do not think that you understand what constitutes "proof" or even evidence. What you gave was just an example of circular reasoning and until you demonstrate that the Bible is a reliable source. One does not get to assume that it is reliable any more than a Muslim gets to assume that the Quran is reliable.

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
Why do you think that? I've read many books like that, all written by human beings, like all books.

Phin

I do not think that you understand what constitutes "proof" or even evidence. What you gave was just an example of circular reasoning and until you demonstrate that the Bible is a reliable source. One does not get to assume that it is reliable any more than a Muslim gets to assume that the Quran is reliable.
There are so many views on where the bible came from, where do you think tit came from? I mean, did one person write it or do you accept that it was written over thousands of years by multiple writers?

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
Yes it's far from perfect but when you look it as a whole it's a perfectly cyclical proces, that's my point, and I can't understand how come people not believe in God in that case. Can I mention that Bible predicted so many things, and 70percent of the prophets were already fulfilled by now, proven. It is clear by so far also, that the leaders, institutions and others manipulated with lots of books including the Bible,yes, they manipulate with knowledge, the question is why.. I think you may know the answer but as far as we can see by now, they can't stop what God will. That's my humble opinion after a lots of researching, and primarily I was not religious.
Can you name 5 things that became true from the Bible?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
There are so many views on where the bible came from, where do you think tit came from? I mean, did one person write it or do you accept that it was written over thousands of years by multiple writers?
It was probably written over a period of less than a thousand years by multiple authors. Most of it is anonymous. In the New Testament we are only fairly sure that some of the epistles of Paul, but not all of them were written by Paul. When it comes to the Old Testament it is even worse.

Phin

It was probably written over a period of less than a thousand years by multiple authors. Most of it is anonymous. In the New Testament we are only fairly sure that some of the epistles of Paul, but not all of them were written by Paul. When it comes to the Old Testament it is even worse.
Let's say the Old Testament was written 500 years before the New Testament. What's the odds of king David killing Bathsheeba's husband (if you know that story) being the exact same thing that Christ did to the believers husband in the New Testament?

I don't expect you to understand that last part, Christians don't even understand that, but that is part of the gospel yet it's not written down in words in either the New Testament or Old Testament.

Phin

Can you name 5 things that became true from the Bible?
These are things that can be verified outside the bible
  1. The good things I want to do, I have a hard time doing but the things that I don't want to do come easy.
  2. The heart of man is desperately wicked and no man can know it.
  3. When a God's people turn rotten to the core, God takes their possessions and gives them to another nation. It's happening right now.
  4. Israel ceased to be a nation just like the bible predicted.
  5. Solomon's temple was destroyed just like Jesus said it would be.

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
These are things that can be verified outside the bible
  1. The good things I want to do, I have a hard time doing but the things that I don't want to do come easy.
What I want to do comes easy. What I don't want to do is harder.
  1. The heart of man is desperately wicked and no man can know it.
If that were true, then we would be extinct long ago.
  1. When a God's people turn rotten to the core, God takes their possessions and gives them to another nation. It's happening right now.
How so?
  1. Israel ceased to be a nation just like the bible predicted.
When? Where? What about Israel becoming a nation again?
  1. Solomon's temple was destroyed just like Jesus said it would be.
Are there artifacts of this?

Phin

What I want to do comes easy. What I don't want to do is harder.

If that were true, then we would be extinct long ago.

How so?

When? Where? What about Israel becoming a nation again?

Are there artifacts of this?
How so? Look around. There's a major population reduction and mass migration going on right now.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Let's say the Old Testament was written 500 years before the New Testament. What's the odds of king David killing Bathsheeba's husband (if you know that story) being the exact same thing that Christ did to the believers husband in the New Testament?

I don't expect you to understand that last part, Christians don't even understand that, but that is part of the gospel yet it's not written down in words in either the New Testament or Old Testament.
Or you may simply be misinterpreting the Gospel. Exactly what are your referring to?

Also if you read the Gospel some of its failures involve copying stories from the Old Testament. There are clear signs of that.

Phin

Or you may simply be misinterpreting the Gospel. Exactly what are your referring to?

Also if you read the Gospel some of its failures involve copying stories from the Old Testament. There are clear signs of that.
I'm referring to our souls being married to what the bible calls the flesh or the old man.

Romans 6:6 Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin
Ephesians 4:22 That ye put off concerning the former conversation the old man, which is corrupt according to the deceitful lusts
Colossians 3:9 Lie not one to another, seeing that ye have put off the old man with his deeds

In the analogy, David is Christ and Bathsheeba's husband is the "old man". Christ kills the old man so the soul can be married/connected to the new man which is Christ in us.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I'm referring to our souls being married to what the bible calls the flesh or the old man.

Romans 6:6 Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin
Ephesians 4:22 That ye put off concerning the former conversation the old man, which is corrupt according to the deceitful lusts
Colossians 3:9 Lie not one to another, seeing that ye have put off the old man with his deeds

In the analogy, David is Christ and Bathsheeba's husband is the "old man". Christ kills the old man so the soul can be married/connected to the new man which is Christ in us.
Like I predicted. That is just your interpretation. It is not what you claimed it to be earlier.