• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

There is No Difference between Christianity and Hinduism

Many Sages One Truth

Okay I know this is going to be very controversial and potentially open the floodgates, but after reading Sai Baba's quote that there is no difference between a Hindu and Muslim, and mostly agreeing with it, I thought if there is a difference between Hindu and Christian.

No not really. Hinduism worships God in many forms, and love of Jesus/Krishna is the highest virtue, even higher then a mountain of good works and rigorous ascetic disciplines.

There is no difference between the Christian and the Hindu. They are both children and devotees of God. They both affirm the law of love (dharma) that exists in everything, and is higher then the law of sin and death.

As there is no difference between Hindu and Muslim at the heart of the faiths, I also say, there is no difference between Hindu and Christian.

elmarna

Well said! As all faiths are based on virtues or phylosophy or moralls and ethics; it is the fundamental foundation that is the keystone to the religion.
While most people really do not look at it that way and respond to the broad spectyrumof the beliefs -the person can loose the perspectives or fail to see it in a wise way!
I agree with not loosing the basis of the perspectives. It keeps the foundation strong.
It keeps the mind not to go a stray from the greatness of service.

Many Sages One Truth

Furthermore I think it's accurate to say that "Christ" is the same thing as Brahman and "Buddha-consciousness", which is within everyone. The NT says we are all members of the body of Christ. Paul says nothing can separate us from the love of God, which is in "Christ".

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
Again, all depends on your definitions. If you're attempting to make the claim that Jesus was a Buddha, I would have to object.

Last edited:

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
I suppose so, but one of the claims of most Hindu gurus is that all religions are paths to God, and it just so happens, one of the claims of more inclusive Christians is also that religions are paths to God. :)
Depends on what you call "God". If God is the universe, all paths lead to it, pervade it, and arise from it. If this God is Jehovah, god of the Israelites, anyone who holds this view is wrong. If God is just a term used to describe inner peace, religion can hinder this emotion/experience.

Many Sages One Truth

Depends on what you call "God". If God is the universe, all paths lead to it, pervade it, and arise from it. If this God is Jehovah, god of the Israelites, anyone who holds this view is wrong. If God is just a term used to describe inner peace, religion can hinder this emotion/experience.

What if God were the God of all humanity, including the Israelites, and Jehovah was just how God appeared specifically to the nation of Israel? Besides, I don't assume that the Bible is without cultural bias. What seems more likely to you, that God would be jealous, or that a ancient people would say he was jealous to have a monopoly on God?

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
What if God were the God of all humanity, including the Israelites, and Jehovah was just how God appeared specifically to the nation of Israel? Besides, I don't assume that the Bible is without cultural bias. What seems more likely to you, that God would be jealous, or that a ancient people would say he was jealous to have a monopoly on God?
Does this God of all humanity have a doctrine to follow? If all religions are a road to God, and there are religions that directly oppose each other on every tenet, how can there be a set doctrine that can be called a road to God? Unless of course there is no road in the first place, no destination because "God is all and all is God" or something like that...

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The common versions of those religions offer dramatically different views of how the world works, what form god exists in, what god's relationship to humanity is, what if anything happens after death, what the goals for a human are supposed to be and how to achieve those goals, etc.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The many varieties of Hinduism are a great deal more diverse than the various schools of Christianity, which makes definition and hence, comparison, problematic.
That said, I agree with Penumbra. There are certain themes and assumptions in these two traditions that are completely incompatible, however much we'd like to point out similarities.

Last edited by a moderator:

SageTree

Spiritual Friend
Premium Member
I've heard Bhakti used most often to describe Christianity on RF in these discussions.
Would anyone be inclined to comment on that example or suggest other and/or combinations of Yoga, manifesting in Christianity?

IsmailaGodHasHeard

I am sorry but I disagree. Christianity is a Trinitarian Monotheistic religion, and Hinduism is a Polytheistic religion.

Last edited:

Andal

resident hypnotist
I am sorry but I disagree. Christianity is a Trinitarian Monotheistic religion, and Hinduism is a Polytheistic religion.

This statement is inaccurate. Firstly not all branches of Christianity are trinitarian. Secondly Hinduism is not polytheistic. The closest it comes are with some monists and panentheists. Furthermore "Hinduism" is an umbrella term used to describe a variety of beliefs and practices that fall within the field of Sanatana Dharma. Of these varieties there are millions of monotheist "hindus" as well as a strong monotheistic doctrine as found within the Vaishnav community.

Aum Hari Aum!

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
If one ignores the differences, and make the two religions as broad as possible, while expanding your definitions to fit just right, yes, there are no differences.

However, once one studies either religion even a little bit, one will see many differences arising. Especially considering both are very diverse.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member

And one could also make a good case for Hinduism being an atheistic religion; that the "gods," for those who choose to use them, are just religious aids, eventually to be transcended.

Jeneshisu

Smile ^^
One can argue that there is no differences in the essence of any religion.

They're all designed to help people to live their lives easier. It gives the individual order and peace of mind.

If Christianity taught that all the religions were paths to the one God, Jehovah, Yahweh, etc. then I would have stayed as a Christian. I was born and raised Catholic, going to church every Sunday, praying the rosary and reading the Bible, saying grace and whatnot...

Just like how I went to the local gay born-again evangelical church and had a talk with one of its members... "We all believe in one God; whether Hindu, Christian, or Jew...

...and God DIED for our sins..."

Me: :areyoucra