• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

There is irrefutable evidence from Polonium halos that the rock layers of the Grand Canyon where all formed in a short time, the worldwide flood.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Of course it means sky Which is a synonym of firmament.
So as usual you declined to inform yourself, and didn't look up the etymology of 'firmament'.

Of course Satan led 1/3 of the angels to rebel.
It was very smart of God to put Superman in charge of the Flying Brigade when it came to the crunch, no? Sure put them baddies in their place ...

For the flood, the mountains were much lower, most of the extra water came from below the oceans when the plates broke.
You have not the slightest evidence that the mountains were "much lower". Whoever told you that told you a falsehood.

Nor is it possible for the Himalayas to have risen to their present height in just a few thousand years.

So you still need that extra billion cubic miles of water, you still need that universal flood layer, and you still need all those genetic bottlenecks. The reason you have none of them is because there was no Genesis flood, as any impartial geologist will tell you.

And as I pointed out to you, the Flood tale originated with the Sumerians in Mesopotamia no later than the middle of the 3rd millennium BCE, whereas the God of the bible doesn't appear in history until the middle of the 2nd millennium BCE, and as the bible tells you out loud and clear, [he] was originally only one God among the many in the Canaanite pantheon ─ see for example Exodus 15:11, 20:3, Deuteronomy 5:7, Numbers 33:4, Psalms 82:1, 86:8, 95:3, 135:5 &c. and my favorite ─

Judges 11:23 So the Lord, the God of Israel, dispossessed the Amorites from before his people Israel; and are you to take possession of them? 24 Will you not possess what Chemosh your god gives you to possess? And all that the Lord our God has dispossessed before us, we will possess.​

And to drain all the flood waters, the mountains were raised and the ocean depths lowered.
I suggest your arguments might be improved if you refrained from making things up. Speaking of which, where are those bible quotes you said were there ─

"the Bible says the earth rotates on its axis and that is how night and day are caused​
it also says that night and day occur at different times in the world at different times."​

And why do I have to keep asking you for them? Or did you make them up too?

SavedByTheLord

So as usual you declined to inform yourself, and didn't look up the etymology of 'firmament'.

It was very smart of God to put Superman in charge of the Flying Brigade when it came to the crunch, no? Sure put them baddies in their place ...

You have not the slightest evidence that the mountains were "much lower". Whoever told you that told you a falsehood.

Nor is it possible for the Himalayas to have risen to their present height in just a few thousand years.

So you still need that extra billion cubic miles of water, you still need that universal flood layer, and you still need all those genetic bottlenecks. The reason you have none of them is because there was no Genesis flood, as any impartial geologist will tell you.

And as I pointed out to you, the Flood tale originated with the Sumerians in Mesopotamia no later than the middle of the 3rd millennium BCE, whereas the God of the bible doesn't appear in history until the middle of the 2nd millennium BCE, and as the bible tells you out loud and clear, [he] was originally only one God among the many in the Canaanite pantheon ─ see for example Exodus 15:11, 20:3, Deuteronomy 5:7, Numbers 33:4, Psalms 82:1, 86:8, 95:3, 135:5 &c. and my favorite ─

Judges 11:23 So the Lord, the God of Israel, dispossessed the Amorites from before his people Israel; and are you to take possession of them? 24 Will you not possess what Chemosh your god gives you to possess? And all that the Lord our God has dispossessed before us, we will possess.​

I suggest your arguments might be improved if you refrained from making things up. Speaking of which, where are those bible quotes you said were there ─

"the Bible says the earth rotates on its axis and that is how night and day are caused​
it also says that night and day occur at different times in the world at different times."​

And why do I have to keep asking you for them? Or did you make them up too?
Go to Meriam Webster and look up the definition.
Also click on Thesaurus and sky is a synonym.

Definition of FIRMAMENT

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Go to Meriam Webster and look up the definition.
Also click on Thesaurus and sky is a synonym.

Definition of FIRMAMENT
Not the 'definition' ─ the etymology, as I'm telling you for at least the third time.

Where are those bible quotes you said were there about the earth turning on its axis &c? Do you now agree the bible says nothing of the kind?

Where are the billion cubic miles of water, the genetic bottlenecks in all land animals, and that universal flood layer? Since you can't find them in reality, perhaps it's time for you to consider that perhaps nothing of the kind happened in reality.

SavedByTheLord

Not the 'definition' ─ the etymology, as I'm telling you for at least the third time.

Where are those bible quotes you said were there about the earth turning on its axis &c? Do you now agree the bible says nothing of the kind?

Where are the billion cubic miles of water, the genetic bottlenecks in all land animals, and that universal flood layer? Since you can't find them in reality, perhaps it's time for you to consider that perhaps nothing of the kind happened in reality.
It is the definition that counts.
However every object in space is held to the law of gravity.
So they are firmly held in their 3 dimensional paths.
Are you trying to prove the Bible true?
If so, you are doing a good job.
Your pagan forebears thought the earth rested on a turtle or was held up by Atlas

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
If so, you are doing a good job.
Your pagan forebears thought the earth rested on a turtle or was held up by Atlas
And your pagan Bible says that the Earth does not move. That it is on pillars, not a turtle, and has a hard dome over it.

SavedByTheLord

And your pagan Bible says that the Earth does not move. That it is on pillars, not a turtle, and has a hard dome over it.
There is no word dome in the Bible.
And the earth moves through its orbit according to the laws of gravity. So it does not move from that path,
And the Bible says that the earth hangs on nothing.
Your pagan forebears thought a turtle or Atlas held it up

SavedByTheLord

Firmament
Here is the definition and click on the Thesaurus tab for the synonym, which is sky.

However,
the earth moves through its orbit according to the laws of gravity. So it does not move from that path,

So, thanks for proving the Bible correct .

Esteban X

Here is the definition and click on the Thesaurus tab for the synonym, which is sky.

However,
the earth moves through its orbit according to the laws of gravity. So it does not move from that path,

Since you didn"t read the link I provided I'll quote the relevant sections

In biblical cosmology, the firmament is the vast solid dome created by God during the Genesis creation narrative to divide the primal sea into upper and lower portions so that the dry land could appear.[1][2

The ancient Hebrews, like all the ancient peoples of the Near East, believed the sky was a solid dome with the Sun, Moon, planets and stars embedded in it.[11]

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member

There doesn't have to be. You are far too literal. It is usually called "the firmament" and it is described as being solid.
And the earth moves through its orbit according to the laws of gravity. So it does not move from that path,
That is not a path. And now you are struggling since even you had to admit that it moves.
Yep, and it doesn't "hang" on anything. Thank you for pointing out that error in the Bible.
Did they? Then yours did too. Why do you abuse the word "pagan"?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member

However,

Actually you proved it wrong.

Oh, and you never could answer why you think that God is a liar. You cannot both have the myths of Genesis true and have an honest God. You have to choose one or the other.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
It just means the sky.
No, it does not. But then fundies can never understand the Bible. Maybe the Christians (real ones, they do not call God a liar) at this site can explain to you what the Bible says:

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Don't just make claims ─ identify the text you base your statements on,
Same again.
And their pagan descendants worked out what the facts are, and continue to do so ─ unlike creationists, who are stuck with the cosmology and fables of three thousand years ago and have to pretend the bible doesn't say the earth is flat and immovably fixed and the sun &c go round it.

I take it by your silence that there are no such bible quotes as you claimed ─

I suggest you stop making stuff up. It's likely to attract only contempt for your cause.

Astrophile

Refuted long back. These haloes were not created by Polonium at all. So the entire argument falls splat.
"Polonium Haloes" Refuted
There is another flaw in Gentry's argument. As "Polonium Haloes" Refuted points out, the interpretation of the 'polonium haloes' as proving that the Earth's rocks were formed instantaneously is inconsistent with the overwhelming geological evidence that the Earth has a very long history of at least billions of years.

There are, I think, only two interpretations of this evidence. First, the geological evidence is valid and the Earth is billions of years old. If so, its rocks were not formed instantaneously, and this interpretation of the 'polonium haloes' is incorrect. (This is my opinion.)

The second interpretation is that the Earth is young and that God has deceived us by creating the Earth with geological evidence to give the impression that the Earth is billions of years old. (This is the omphalist hypothesis.) If so, the 'polonium haloes' become inexplicable. Either God simply forgot that the haloes would destroy the impression that the Earth is very old (an impression that he had worked hard to create), or he created the polonium haloes in order to show that the Earth is young and therefore that the evidence for an old Earth is false and deceptive. The first explanation makes God a bungler; the second makes him not only a deceiver but an inconsistent deceiver.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
So now you know the definition includes the hard dome idea as I told you.
The authors of the bible didn't know that, which is why the word "gravity" appears nowhere in the Tanakh and nowhere in the NT,
So you say the bible is lying when it states the earth is immovably fixed and can never be shaken? You agree with modern science that the bible is wrong in its cosmology?

1 Chronicles 16:​
29 [...] Worship the LORD in holy array; 30 tremble before him, all the earth; yea, the world stands firm, never to be moved.​
Psalm 93:​
1 [...] Yea, the world is established; it shall never be moved;​
Psalm 96​
10 Yea, the world is established, it shall never be moved;
Psalm 102​
25 Of old thou didst lay the foundation of the earth
Psalm 104​
5 Thou didst set the earth on its foundations, so that it should never be shaken.

No hint of a spinning earth there, eh? Nor here either ─

Ecclesiastes 1:​
5 “The sun rises and the sun goes down, and hastens to the place where it rises.”

True to the cosmology of Babylon way back BCE, yes. But having none of our modern concepts of heliocentry, a solar system, gravity, orbits, deep space, our galaxy, other galaxies.
No, in the legend Atlas holds up the sky, not the earth. Goodness, can't you EVER get your facts right?

And I've asked you to stop making things up, but it seems you're incurable and also unable to learn. Do be careful, or someone will mistake you for a YEC.

Last edited:

SavedByTheLord

So now you know the definition includes the hard dome idea as I told you.

The authors of the bible didn't know that, which is why the word "gravity" appears nowhere in the Tanakh and nowhere in the NT,

So you say the bible is lying when it states the earth is immovably fixed and can never be shaken? You agree with modern science that the bible is wrong in its cosmology?

1 Chronicles 16:​
29 [...] Worship the LORD in holy array; 30 tremble before him, all the earth; yea, the world stands firm, never to be moved.​
Psalm 93:​
1 [...] Yea, the world is established; it shall never be moved;​
Psalm 96​
10 Yea, the world is established, it shall never be moved;
Psalm 102​
25 Of old thou didst lay the foundation of the earth
Psalm 104​
5 Thou didst set the earth on its foundations, so that it should never be shaken.

No hint of a spinning earth there, eh? Nor here either ─

Ecclesiastes 1:​
5 “The sun rises and the sun goes down, and hastens to the place where it rises.”

True to the cosmology of Babylon way back BCE, yes. But having none of our modern concepts of heliocentry, a solar system, gravity, orbits, deep space, our galaxy, other galaxies.

No, in the legend Atlas holds up the sky, not the earth. Goodness, can't you EVER get your facts right?

And I've asked you to stop making things up, but it seems you're incurable and also unable to learn. Do be careful, or someone will mistake you for a YEC.
Yet the Bible says it hangs on nothing.
So, you have a bad interpretation of those verses.
The earth does not move from is prescribed path determined by the law of gravity.
And the verse from Ecclesiastics uses Poetic language. It is in the part of the Bible called poetry.
The foundation of the earth is the core, mantle and crust upon which the surface of the earth rests.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Yet the Bible says it hangs on nothing.
And that God made its foundations and that it's immovable and unshakable and so on ─ as you would have known had you ever read your bible.
So, you have a bad interpretation of those verses.
The KJV, which you preferred earlier, says NOTHING DIFFERENT. Or do you mean the things you keep making up in your own head?

The earth does not move from is prescribed path determined by the law of gravity.
Now you're getting desperate. As I said, the concept of gravity didn't exist in those days and is mentioned nowhere in the bible.

And the verse from Ecclesiastics uses Poetic language.
So you're now arguing that although there was no such Flood as described in Genesis, it merely reads that way because of poetic language?

The foundation of the earth is the core, mantle and crust upon which the surface of the earth rests.
Not in the first millennium BCE it wasn't.

Nor is there any meaningful sense in which the earth as we understand it has a "foundation". You appear to have trouble with words, not knowing what 'firmament' means in the bible, and apparently not understanding what 'etymology' is.

Oh, and you said heaven was a real place so where are those photos and videos and so on that I asked you for? Or were you just using "poetic language"?

SavedByTheLord

And that God made its foundations and that it's immovable and unshakable and so on ─ as you would have known had you ever read your bible.

The KJV, which you preferred earlier, says NOTHING DIFFERENT. Or do you mean the things you keep making up in your own head?

Now you're getting desperate. As I said, the concept of gravity didn't exist in those days and is mentioned nowhere in the bible.

So you're now arguing that although there was no such Flood as described in Genesis, it merely reads that way because of poetic language?

Not in the first millennium BCE it wasn't.

Nor is there any meaningful sense in which the earth as we understand it has a "foundation". You appear to have trouble with words, not knowing what 'firmament' means in the bible, and apparently not understanding what 'etymology' is.

Oh, and you said heaven was a real place so where are those photos and videos and so on that I asked you for? Or were you just using "poetic language"?
I have read and studied the Bible for over 20 years.
an unbeliever cannot understand the Bible,