• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Theology/Theologies. Are they all harmful by default?

Theologies: All Harmful?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
I've already ignored 4 people so far. One communist sympathiser and three theists. The willfully obtuse I cannot deal with.

I am even worse. I am a global skeptic. :D Just put me on ignore. I can run you in circles for your belief system and how it is based on untestable beliefs. I make no difference between your kind and religious people, because I am not a religious person and I am not like you when it comes to belief system.

Azrael Antilla

I am even worse. I am a global skeptic. :D Just put me on ignore. I can run you in circles for your belief system and how it is based on untestable beliefs. I make no difference between your kind and religious people, because I am not a religious person and I am not like you when it comes to belief system.
You could not run me in circles if I gave you a stick and a length of string. No offence. However you're not dishonest. That is what I ignore people for.

Azrael Antilla

My belief system.

Is founded on falsifiable empirically derived evidence. That is independently verifiable and can be overturned by better evidence.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
You could not run me in circles if I gave you a stick and a length of string. No offence. However you're not dishonest. That is what I ignore people for.

Okay, what you claim, nobody has so far in recorded human history been able to do. There is no single positive methodology for all of the world that produces only positive answers. That might change and you might be able to do it, but I doubt it, since no human so far has been able to do. So as a probability I will assign not 0% chance, but I wouldn't trust you just because you can string together some words in English that are understandable in English.
So you have to do your epistemology and not just claim it.

Azrael Antilla

Okay, what you claim, nobody has so far in recorded human history been able to do. There is no single positive methodology for all of the world that produces only positive answers. That might change and you might be able to do it, but I doubt it, since no human so far has been able to do. So as a probability I will assign not 0% chance, but I wouldn't trust you just because you can string together some words in English that are understandable in English.
So you have to do your epistemology and not just claim it.
Metaphysical questions. Do not have scientific answers. So, those questions themselves are problematic. Not the lack of answers. Science only answers scientific questions!

Questions about love and morality and politics etc.. can only be answered with opinion. Subjective opinion. That has no absolute authority or orthodoxy to verify.

pearl

Theology is not harmful. It is disbelief in G-d that is harmful, imo.
It is hypocrisy that is harmful.

What may be harmful is that we choose our 'theology', or the theologian, in much the same way we choose which news network to listen to, from liberation, feminist, ultra-traditionalist, fundamentalist theologies. The real danger is in a theology that corrupts the truth with its own narrow ideas.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Metaphysical questions. Do not have scientific answers. So, those questions themselves are problematic. Not the lack of answers. Science only answers scientific questions!

Questions about love and morality and politics etc.. can only be answered with opinion. Subjective opinion. That has no absolute authority or orthodoxy to verify.

Correct, so you do useful to you differently than me in some cases and that is the limit of testable evidence.

Azrael Antilla

Correct, so you do useful to you differently than me in some cases and that is the limit of testable evidence.
What could be more useful than fusion power or AI or immortality? All these things and more. The scientific method can and will bestow upon mankind. Necessity is the mother of invention. Look what technology has done for the savage primate living in caves gnawing bones scared of Leopards and Hyena lurking in the dark. Humanity is no longer prey. Humanity via the scientific method. Is becoming godlike. Fast. Faster and faster...

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
What could be more useful than fusion power or AI or immortality? All these things and more. The scientific method can and will bestow upon mankind. Necessity is the mother of invention. Look what technology has done for the savage primate living in caves gnawing bones scared of Leopards and Hyena lurking in the dark. Humanity is no longer prey. Humanity via the scientific method. Is becoming godlike. Fast. Faster and faster...

Yeah, I am of a different opinion if we look closer.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Err. You missed the point of the OP. No problem.

I asked you whats the point of the video you shared. Dawkins interview with Mehdi. Its very old. Ive seen it. So why share it? Thats what I asked.

Nakosis. Dawkins has been criticised widely by other atheistic evolutionary biologists, etc etc for his fundamentalist approach making Darwinism like another religion. Dawkins said religious belief is one of the great evils. He even made a documentary called root of all evils. I already gave you the man Hitchens.

Nitpick. No worries.

The "Root of All Evil" was not a name given by Dawkins. It was a movie made about his book the "God Delusion". I've read the book, haven't see the movie. Just because the movie is based on his book doesn't mean the presentation is his. Film makers take creative license when making a film. Dawkins didn't like the name but wasn't given a choice about it.

Hitchens, ok, I'll look into it but consider I'm not the one making any claims about his position.

Yes, I think I understand your point. Your asking for evidence for the claim of that theology is inherently bad. I'm still looking for someone who made the claim.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Yes, I think I understand your point. Your asking for evidence for the claim of that theology is inherently bad. I'm still looking for someone who made the claim.

i think you can find at least one in this thread for the words harmful and other negative words.

muhammad_isa

So to say that humans have a "natural inclination" to do evil, is just demonstrably incorrect.
If it were true, most people would engage in evil.

But most don't..

It depends how broad your definition of evil is..
Are you saying that your life is probably no different than mine?
That I would do most things that you are doing?

You might not consider anything you do is evil. You do not judge by that which G-d has revealed.
I know that I am guilty of evil, and that despite I am a believer.