• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Theists: Why do you think more scientists are atheists?

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
I understand, and mine does too, but there is still a distinction between a theistic God and a pantheistic one. That's why we have those words. I'm not expert on pantheism, but as far as I know, that concept of God basically encompasses the universe with no sense of separation. God is the universe. A theistic God is a being apart from the universe who controls it to some degree, and created it. the difference, as I see it, is that one is a separate entity from the universe, while the other is the universe.

Any pantheists out there, please correct me if I misrepresented the idea in any way.
That is my conception as well.

Ah, my bad. Forgot that people make a distinction of those terms. I'll just shut up, now. ;)
Aw, come on, don’t be like that. :hug:

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
God is the universe? How convenient.

You'd have to talk to a pantheist to get all the details, but that's the gist of it. That's why Dawkins calls it "sexed-up atheism". It's not much different, they just describe things differently.

Why are you acting like I am a pantheist, BTW?

The Voice of Reason

Doctor of Thinkology
Why are you acting like I am a pantheist, BTW?

I want to go on record as fully supporting mball in his pursuit of the highest goals in Trampolinist Conversion - the faith of his choice.

I'm not sure what the deity looks like, but I'm guessing that agility and body control are two of the key tenets of the faith.

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
I hear your membership has it's ups and downs. Of course, we can see that they are adept at jumping to conclusions as they bounce from one topic to another. You might call them airogant or is that aerogents??? Then again, you might not.

The Voice of Reason

Doctor of Thinkology
I hear your membership has it's ups and downs. Of course, we can see that they are adept at jumping to conclusions as they bounce from one topic to another. You might call them airogant or is that aerogents??? Then again, you might not.

I need some Dramamine. I'm getting motion sickness just reading this drivel.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Perhaps science tends to be self-selecting for people who like to view the world in a materialistic way which they feel they can understand and control?

Perhaps. But what about India, then?

Why do you think some scientists are not atheists?

My guess -- and it's only a guess -- is that scientists who are not atheists tend to have comparatively sophisticated notions of deity.