• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Theists: Atheism is a Religion?

Audie

Veteran Member
That would be seriously creepy, and if true, would apply to all humans. It would mean all humans would have to interpret the same event exactly the same in spite of being distinct individuals. It would mean humanity had become assimilated into The Borg Collective. Impressive in a fashion, but definitely not the word I'd use for it. :sweat:

As I suggested of another, dont be ridiculous.
And in the process, maybe dont assume I am
being ridiculous

Skip the "hive" and that it has to be identical.

Some sort of pattern of reasonable consistency would
be enough. It is, though, all "lo here" and, "lo there".

If they's getting it from god, the fellow is quite the
prankster.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
All dogma, doctrine, tenets, etc etc are from man, not God.
Therefore, they are all wrong.

However, there is, and can be, only ONE god. The attributes of God, make it so. Allah is the name given that God by Muslims.
Ahura Mazda is the name given that God by a believer of Zoroastrianism. I can’t tell you what name Christians give to God, because there may be almost as many names as there are different Christian sects. And just because some people claim they don’t believe in God, doesn’t mean there isn’t one.

The beliefs, dogma, doctrine, etc are irrelevant. The only question is: Are you loving to all other people regardless of their beliefs, dogma, doctrine?

In conclusion, I think it’s a good thing not to focus your existence on a religion, but focus it on love.

Which god is that one god? I understand that excluding the 33,000,000 hindu gods there have been over 4000 of them and every one an individual to their religion

dianaiad

I was recently told Atheism is a religion with tenets, and dogma. So I have a ? for those theists who think atheism is a religion.

1. For the theists who believe in a single god, I assume you're an atheist towards other gods. For example, let's say you don't believe in, you have an atheist view towards, Ahura Mazda, Zeus and Krishna. So if you're a theist who believes atheism is a religion; when you "practice" your atheism towards those gods you don't believe in, who gives you your dogma, tenets, doctrines, creeds etc? I haven't found any for atheism so I'm willing to be educated on this matter when you tell me where yours come from. Thanks!

2. I was curious so I looked up some surveys about atheist beliefs. Re: atheists: Conservapedia said 32% believe in an afterlife, 6% believe in resurrection, they also found atheists who believe in ghosts, souls, pseudoscience, UFOs. Pews Forum reports 9% don't believe in evolution. 32% rely on science to determine right from wrong while 44% rely on past experience and common sense. And a large number of Dutch atheists believe in a "universal force". So...with all these beliefs all over the map, who is giving atheists their doctrines, tenets & dogma and why are they giving them a religious structure that's so varied & inconsistent?

"Athiesm" as a whole isn't a religion any more than 'theism' as a whole is.

However, there is a certain subset of atheism that certainly seems to qualify. That's the 'anti-theist' group, or at least the 'strong' atheists who have gone from "I see no evidence for a God," to "There is no God," and who join groups like American Atheists and who are active in those groups.

These people look like a religion, act like a religion, and speak like a religion...and you know the saying about ducks.

JChnsc19

You're most certainly welcome! I'm an odd one. I'm a theist. I'm a Bible believer. The Bible refers to many gods. Some were mere mortals not unlike ourselves. Some were supernatural. A person or a thing has to become a god by being venerated which is to say, to be attributed a might that is greater than the one attributing it. So I believe in several gods mentioned in the Bible. Veneration isn't worship. So, the Bible mentions a man, a King of Sumeria whose name was Tammuz, as a god. I believe this man existed, as a god, but not my god. So! do I believe in a single god? I believe in many gods, some who have existed, some who haven't. Some who were supernatural some who weren't. One, Jehovah, which I place above, that is, foremost, over all others.

Very good question, and surprising survey results, if they are accurate they certainly are surprising to me as that hasn't been my experience, either as an atheist for the first 27 years of my life, and having 99% of the friends and family I've known all my life that are atheists, or over two decades discussing the subject with atheists online. I think that the reason for this is that the atheists we tend to encounter on forums like this are, more what I call, militant, meaning more outspoken and aggressive. I think they tend to be more narrow in their approach. Then again, Buddhist, Confucians, Shintoists, and Taoists would be atheists that we would likely encounter who weren't "Atheists" as such, but atheists never the less. And there's the rub, you see?

Really all religiosity is, is a specific system of beliefs or principles strictly adhered to. For example, I watch South Park religiously.

So, there's all this debate about 1. Whether gods are supernatural or not, whether or not a god has to even exist to be a god and therefore do gods exist, and does one have to worship a god in order to believe in it? and 2. Does a religion need gods, does a religion need rituals, etc. or are those religions without gods, rituals etc. really only philosophies and, apparently from the militant atheists perspective especially, are commonalities other than a lack of belief necessary?
Thanks everyone for your replies. And I was surprised by the survey results too. But I was shocked by the assertion that atheism is a religion. Guess in all my reading & hearing lectures & debates, I’ve never heard this. I don’t care if atheism is a religion I guess, but wondering what atheistic organizations are getting tax exception? I think that would satisfy, in my mind, the argument of it being a religion.
Was hoping if I pointed out how theists are atheists towards other religions would give them some kind of understanding of how I feel towards any gods. And that they are atheists too, I just go one god further.
And I know that a theist isn’t necessarily involved in a religion but was trying to target the religious who believe what I posted in the beginning of the thread. ✌️

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm tired of fighting it. Atheism is a religion. The only tenet would be to not have a belief in a God. No additional requirements, no rules to follow, no tithing, no additional beliefs to have or not have.

So meh, Atheism is a religion, now what?

Now you must bow before me, for I am the head of the religion.
Mwahahaha.

Err...sorry, not sure where that little bout of megalomania has come from.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
However, in recent years there has been a significant increase in atheistic "scientism" which I have to recognize as functioning as a religion in nearly all aspects.
Do you mean that a number of atheists tend towards materialism / physicalism, or do you actually intend the abusive term 'scientism'?

QuestioningMind

Atheism means without theism so yes, it is a religion for those that have not figured that out yet.

Naw... atheism is nothing more than a lack of believe that any god or gods definitely exists. By your silly definition your lack of belief that magical fairies definitely exist is a religion as well. What a ridiculous concept.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
What?i'm asking if that is your definition of atheism, as it seems to be. How much plainer do you want the question?

No you were not, you were attempting to manipulate my words.

But you just have asked now

I do not invent definitions and i resent the accusation
It is the dictionary definition, as you would know if you looked it up, is that plain enough?

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
In other words, any belief in the existence of a g-d, and the person is a theist?
^

Is this your definition of theism? Its yes, or no. In other words, you are being unclear.

No you were not, you were attempting to manipulate my words.

But you just have asked now

I do not invent definitions and i resent the accusation
It is the dictionary definition, as you would know if you looked it up, is that plain enough?

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Mr blu , is that your definition of atheism?
Is what my definition of atheism?

I take it people calling themselves atheists know what a real god is, what claim about reality they don't accept. I'm not in that position.

My position is called igtheism or ignosticism. I take the view that unless I know what a real god is, I'm not in a position to say I accept or don't accept its existence in reality. That's because I've never found a useful definition of a real god, such that we could tell whether any candidate were a god or not ─ a fact which in itself suggests there aren't any.

I haven't even been able to find a concept of 'godness', the real quality that a real god has which distinguishes it from a non-god.

Of course, imaginary gods are no problem ─ they're concepts in brains without real counterparts. Such concepts exist in abundance, but they're not real gods, simply imagined things.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Is what my definition of atheism?

I take it people calling themselves atheists know what a real god is, what claim about reality they don't accept. I'm not in that position.

My position is called igtheism or ignosticism. I take the view that unless I know what a real god is, I'm not in a position to say I accept or don't accept its existence in reality. That's because I've never found a useful definition of a real god, such that we could tell whether any candidate were a god or not ─ a fact which in itself suggests there aren't any.

I haven't even been able to find a concept of 'godness', the real quality that a real god has which distinguishes it from a non-god.

Of course, imaginary gods are no problem ─ they're concepts in brains without real counterparts. Such concepts exist in abundance, but they're not real gods, simply imagined things.
Yeah I call that agnosticism, practical way of separating the 'isms.

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
I was recently told Atheism is a religion with tenets, and dogma. So I have a ? for those theists who think atheism is a religion.

I do not believe atheism properly meets the definition of a religion.

Definition of RELIGION

However, atheism is a worldview just as theism is. How we view the world can affect our decision making and our future happiness.

1. For the theists who believe in a single god, I assume you're an atheist towards other gods. For example, let's say you don't believe in, you have an atheist view towards, Ahura Mazda, Zeus and Krishna. So if you're a theist who believes atheism is a religion; when you "practice" your atheism towards those gods you don't believe in, who gives you your dogma, tenets, doctrines, creeds etc? I haven't found any for atheism so I'm willing to be educated on this matter when you tell me where yours come from. Thanks!

I believe in a single God, and believe that God has manifested Himself through Great Educators such as Muhammad, Jesus, Moses, Zoroaster and Krishna. Therefore many, but not all of the beliefs associated with these Great Educators, form part of my Monotheistic worldview.

I am not polytheistic so would be atheistic in regards the pantheon of Greek gods, though admittedly their supreme God may be real and simply the same God I worship but with a different name. I would have to research further.

2. I was curious so I looked up some surveys about atheist beliefs. Re: atheists: Conservapedia said 32% believe in an afterlife, 6% believe in resurrection, they also found atheists who believe in ghosts, souls, pseudoscience, UFOs. Pews Forum reports 9% don't believe in evolution. 32% rely on science to determine right from wrong while 44% rely on past experience and common sense. And a large number of Dutch atheists believe in a "universal force". So...with all these beliefs all over the map, who is giving atheists their doctrines, tenets & dogma and why are they giving them a religious structure that's so varied & inconsistent?

There is much diversity of belief within some religions too, Hinduism being the best example. The less reliance on sacred writings such as the Torah, Gospels and Quran that are considered authentic and authoritative, the more diversity.