• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Theists and Atheists

kowalskil

Theists and Atheists

I still do not know what can be done to eliminate endless conflicts between theists and atheists. But comments collected at several websites prompted me to compose a short on-line paper at:

theo_sci

It can probably be used to initiate an interesting discussion here. Please share this link with those who might be interested.

Ludwik Kowalski (see Wikipedia)
Professor Emeritus
Montclair State University, USA

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
One of my best friends is an atheist. It's really not that hard. :no:

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Keeping religion and state separate is needed, as well as allowing all people to believe whatever they do, and express whatever they wish.

Not much of a conflict otherwise.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Atheism and Theism are just aesthetical preferences. There is more true reason for conflict between southpaws and right-handed people then between atheists and theists.

After all, ultimately it is a strictly personal matter. It is not like theists were proposing the creation of a god or atheists wanted to destroy any existing god. Existence itself is stil the same for both groups. It is all in the eyes of the beholder.

Nisou Kitsune

Resident Anime Freak
I agree with the other respondents. Theism and Atheism are personal paths that one chooses to follow, and isnt really the concern of others unless that person wishes to share it. But then, people should have open minds and be willing to be flexible. I do not care whether you are a Muslim, Christian, Hindu, Sikh, Shinto, Buddhist, LDS, Jedi, etc, as long as you do not try to press your beliefs onto me. If more people had that kind of thinking, religiously motivated violence wouldnt happen IMO.....

HonestJoe

I still do not know what can be done to eliminate endless conflicts between theists and atheists.
What endless conflicts? There are certainly a few heated debates (and pointless arguments) on a few internet forums but in the grand scheme of things, I not convinced anything specifically between atheists and theists (rather than sub-groups thereof) could be called conflict.

Orias

Left Hand Path
One of my best friends is an atheist. It's really not that hard. :no:

I agree.

Conflict only arises when One wishes to consume, or make the Opposite what they want.

Conflict is because of manipulation of belief.

Somewhere along the lines of..."Everyone should be like me".

It is sickening :foot:

nevaya

I agree.

Conflict only arises when One wishes to consume, or make the Opposite what they want.

Conflict is because of manipulation of belief.

Somewhere along the lines of..."Everyone should be like me".

It is sickening :foot:
And the Everyone should be like me senario plagues the U.S. If told someone I am atheist chances are i'll get a sermon. If I told them i'm a Satanist i sure to be burned at the stake.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
I still do not know what can be done to eliminate endless conflicts between theists and atheists.

Conflict definitely isn't necessary. Some of my best friends are irrational, religious whack-jobs. As long as they don't try to draw me into their fantasy world, I don't blast their beliefs with unassailable reason and logic. It doesn't really come up, as we generally spend our time engaging in common interests.

nevaya

It's not as likely as you think ;)
Well maybe not burned, a bit dramatic on my part. I am openly atheist and I get plenty of sh.....t for it. freedom of religion has it's limits. I'm hardly going to be opening a Church of Satan anytime in the near future.

PhAA

Grand Master
Conflicts between atheists and theists only occur if the focus is religion. There are more important things than religion.

Orias

Left Hand Path
Well maybe not burned, a bit dramatic on my part. I am openly atheist and I get plenty of sh.....t for it.

That's why I tend not to be open about anything :help:

freedom of religion has it's limits.

Freedom of the practices of religion has it's limits sure. The only limit that can be put on the Mind is the One's that are brought up as a young child.

I'm hardly going to be opening a Church of Satan anytime in the near future.

Good, there already is One :D

nevaya

That's why I tend not to be open about anything :help:

Freedom of the practices of religion has it's limits sure. The only limit that can be put on the Mind is the One's that are brought up as a young child.

Good, there already is One :D
I Know, figuratively speaking, lets say Im a lucifarian, and I wanted to open a church in town to worship the devil, Im guesings i would be faced with a few problems. So where is the limit to freedom of religion?

Orias

Left Hand Path
I Know, figuratively speaking, lets say Im a lucifarian, and I wanted to open a church in town to worship the devil, Im guesings i would be faced with a few problems.

Well assuming isn't knowing.

And I don't think you would, there are plenty of occult and LHP facilities or "churches" about. It's just not publicly advertised.

So where is the limit to freedom of religion?

Burning people alive, sacrificing chickens and babies...you know, all of the good stuff ;)

kowalskil

Keeping religion and state separate is needed, as well as allowing all people to believe whatever they do, and express whatever they wish.

Not much of a conflict otherwise.

I did not address this important issue. I was thinking about using separate methods of validation/refutation in our two worlds.

kowalskil

What endless conflicts? There are certainly a few heated debates (and pointless arguments) on a few internet forums but in the grand scheme of things, I not convinced anything specifically between atheists and theists (rather than sub-groups thereof) could be called conflict.

Perhaps the adjective "futile" would be better that "endless." A debate is futile when methods of refutation are not used properly. For example, a claim about the age of earth (several billion years) should not be refuted by saying that this is not consistent with the Bible. Likewise, existence of God should not be refuted by using scientific tools. God is not a material entity.