• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

the wisest saying or idea in your religion?

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
There are four sayings from the Upanishads called Mahavakyas or 'The Great Sayings.' These are:
  • Prajnanam Brahma - This Consciousness/Self is Brahman (Aitareya Upanishad)
  • Ayam Atma Brahma - This Atman (Self) is Brahman (Mandukya Upanishad)
  • Aham Brahmasmi - I am Brahman (Brihadaranyaka Upanishad)
  • Tat Tvam Asi - That thou art (Chandogya Upanishad)

mangalavara

सो ऽहम्
Premium Member
It's My Birthday!
What's the wisest saying or idea in your religion?

I can't say that I know what is the wisest saying in Hinduism, but I think this one from Muṇḍaka Upanishad 3.1.6 might be it:

'Satyameva jayate.'

It can be translated as 'Truth alone triumphs' or 'Truth indeed triumphs.' This is Truth in contrast to falsehood and non-order.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I dunno about "wisest" but walking the walk of the Mystery tradition through a very old tale brought to us by the indigenous religions of the British Isles (aka, the Celts) is... something else.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
What's the wisest saying or idea in your religion?
The word 'wisest" does not call up anything i particular. But the most significant to me is Meher Baba's: "When the Word of my love breaks out of its silence and speaks in your hearts, telling you who I really am, you will know that that is the Real Word you have been always longing to hear. "

Sundance

pursuing the Divine Beloved
Premium Member
There are so many wise sayings in my religious tradition, but for me, a passage from Bahá’u’lláh’s Writings that never fails to capture my heart with a depth that reminds me of the Beatitudes of Christ Jesus is this:

“Be generous in prosperity, and thankful in adversity. Be worthy of the trust of thy neighbor, and look upon him with a bright and friendly face. Be a treasure to the poor, an admonisher to the rich, an answerer to the cry of the needy, a preserver of the sanctity of thy pledge. Be fair in thy judgment, and guarded in thy speech. Be unjust to no man, and show all meekness to all men. Be as a lamp unto them that walk in darkness, a joy to the sorrowful, a sea for the thirsty, a haven for the distressed, an upholder and defender of the victim of oppression. Let integrity and uprightness distinguish all thine acts. Be a home for the stranger, a balm to the suffering, a tower of strength for the fugitive. Be eyes to the blind, and a guiding light unto the feet of the erring. Be an ornament to the countenance of truth, a crown to the brow of fidelity, a pillar of the temple of righteousness, a breath of life to the body of mankind, an ensign of the hosts of justice, a luminary above the horizon of virtue, a dew to the soil of the human heart, an ark on the ocean of knowledge, a sun in the heaven of bounty, a gem on the diadem of wisdom, a shining light in the firmament of thy generation, a fruit upon the tree of humility.”