• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

the wisdom of fasting the islamic way , and how it differs in purposes too from other religions

cleese

calm unbiased thinker
first of all , islamic fasting doesn't related to a physical practice only , its deepest purpose is to teach mulsims piousness , but the questions posing them selves here are :
1 - what is the relationship between piousness and fasting ?
2 - what is the relationship between piousness and fasting the islamic way
3 - why quran was revealed specifically in the fasting month (Ramadan) , why not in any other month ?
1 - the refrain from somethings sometimes , is just like the car's breaks . they should not discontent the driver because they slowing his pace down , because they are actually saving his life . the physical part of the islamic fasting , requires refrain from food , drinking and marital intercourse from dawn to dusk . if you profound that , you would see that they are all lawful things in islam , but this is the point . if you trained your self (willingly) and when there is no one watching you , to refrain from what you desire , you will have a stronger will that will break .. hmm , i mean will enable you easily to refrain from what is banned upon you . take the marital intercourse as example , if you willingly trained your self to refrain from having it during the fasting time ( 16 continuous hours for continuous 30 days at least) you will be more capable to refrain when it is time you were exposed to the seduction of fornication . this will make you a more faithful (more important : real) husband . continue doing the same with water and wine ....
2 - if you analyzed the activity of the islamic fasting , you would find that it is refraining from food and water when they are most desired , waking up (at sohoor meal's time before dawn) when sleeping is most desired , eating the sohoor meal when you feel no appetite at all for eating . this what so called "pushing the human limits further" , when it is the time of crisis and catastrophes , the muslim society is the best prepared and capable of managing them (men and women) .
3 - there is an inextricable bond between quran and fasting (according to quran it self , review the following quranic verse 2/ 185
why ?
because quran was revealed with a comprehensive set of commandments , from learning every single item of creation to paving the way for strangers and mercy for animals , and this a responsibility that requires a great patience , yes patience and Allah fearing , and both you can gain from points 1 & 2 .
thanks for your patience by the way

Last edited:

cleese

calm unbiased thinker
Do you get any choice in it? Can Muslims opt out of ramadan?

i do not get exactly what you mean bloom , but if you have read about ramadan , fasting is an islamic pillar , not just a worship . beside , muslims not only in the arabic world , but also all over the world welcome it so much , so in general , none of them would like to opt out of it , because it is a chance (compulsively and willingly) to make a change towards the right way of life ... fine it is a worship in the same time
thanks for you concern

idea

Question Everything
We fast once a month for two meals. we take the money we would have spent on the meals and donate it to humanitarian aid.

Today was fast Sunday... we ate a late dinner last night, sad to say I did not make it to our 24 hours... I need to be better at this.

FAST, FASTING. See also Alms, Almsgiving; Offering; Poor; Welfare
To voluntarily refrain from eating or drinking for the purpose of drawing closer to the Lord and requesting his blessings. When individuals and groups fast, they should also pray to understand God's will and to develop greater spiritual strength. Fasting has always been practiced by true believers.
In the Church today, one Sabbath day each month is set aside for the purpose of fasting. During this time, Church members go without food and water for twenty-four hours. They then contribute to the Church the money that they would have spent on food for those meals. This money is called a fast offering. The Church uses the fast offerings to assist the poor and needy.
We fasted and besought our God, Ezra 8:21–23, 31. I fasted and prayed before the God of heaven, Neh. 1:4. Fast ye for me, and neither eat nor drink for three days, Esther 4:16. I humbled my soul with fasting, Ps. 35:13. Is not this the fast that I have chosen? Isa. 58:3–12. I set my face unto the Lord God, to seek by prayer, with fasting, Dan. 9:3. Turn ye to me with all your heart, and with fasting, Joel 2:12. Nineveh believed God, and proclaimed a fast, Jonah 3:5. Jesus fasted for forty days, Matt. 4:2 (Ex. 34:28; 1 Kgs. 19:8; Luke 4:1–2). Appear not unto men to fast, Matt. 6:18 (3 Ne. 13:16). This kind goeth not out but by prayer and fasting, Matt. 17:21. Continue in fasting and praying, Omni 1:26 (4 Ne. 1:12). They began to fast, and to pray to the Lord their God, Mosiah 27:22. I have fasted and prayed many days that I might know these things, Alma 5:46. The children of God joined in fasting and mighty prayer, Alma 6:6. The sons of Mosiah had given themselves to much prayer and fasting, Alma 17:3, 9. A time of fasting and prayer followed the death of many Nephites, Alma 28:5–6. They did fast much and pray much, Alma 45:1 (Hel. 3:35). Let thy food be prepared with singleness of heart that thy fasting may be perfect, D&C 59:13–14. Ye shall continue in prayer and fasting, D&C 88:76.
(Guide to the Scriptures | F Fast, Fasting.:Entry)

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Today was fast Sunday... we ate a late dinner last night, sad to say I did not make it to our 24 hours... I need to be better at this.
Fasting is the hardest commandment for me to obey. I usually end up almost sick if I miss two meals in a row. I can miss one, but two just about kills me. And sad to say, it doesn't seem to produce the desired result. So I need to be better at it, too.

kumbayah

Greetings and peace to all,

Regarding fasting in Islam, compared to the original teachings of Jesus, one can find information in the gospel of Matthew and also in an early text called the 'Didache' (Greek work for Teaching). This Didaché (pronounced dee-da-kay) reveals the orignal Christianity which was corrupted after Emperor Constantine in 303. It has been 'lost' from 360s until found in Constantinople, of all places, 1873.

The Didaché reveals several remarkable parallels with Islam, for example, 4 pillars of the faith instead of 5 (lacking Hajj) and thrice-daily prayer rather than 5, and others besides.

Regarding fasting, in Islam, besides mandatory Ramadan fast, a 'recommended' fast is given, to occur on Mondays and Thursdays. By comparison the Didache says that Christians should fast on Wednesday and Friday but avoid fasting on Monday and Thursday –the very days that Islam recommends fasting! The Didaché shuns those days because they are the days of fasting by the 'hypocrites' (obviously referring to Jewish fasting customs of 1st century Palestine). ‘Hypocrites’ is of course the word Jesus uses for his sectarian rivals.

First-century Christians were told to change the twice-weekly fast days in order for the larger community of Palestine to recognize that Christians (who were then a brand new sect in the area) were not the same as Jews.

This fasting practice originated with John the Baptizer (Mat. 9.14) and was not practiced by Jesus' disciples until after Jesus was dead and gone (9.15). So, this text represents very early practice.

In the understanding of those times, fasting had nothing to do with self-discipline or willpower, but it was done as a sign of mourning (for a departed one). The Baptizer adapted this into a sign of mourning for sins, performed as a gesture to God.

In Mark's gospel, fasting becomes a spiritual weapon against demons (but I reject Mark's Gospel and that of Luke, and encourage others to do so as well--and that's another story).

The correct understanding of fasting is in the Didache and it continues the Baptizer's original teaching found in Matthew: we fast in repentance.

In the Gospel of Thomas we also learn that fasting expresses our larger rejection of the world of sin and sensual dependence. This is probably an authentic teaching of Jesus. His most authoritative teaching is Matthew 6:18 – when you fast, if you do not let anyone else know you're do it, you will receive God's reward. Also you should fast on behalf of others, meaning that God blesses others with your blessing, which you generously donate in prayer.

Jesus famously fasted 40 days and 40 nights, which sounds like an impossibility and exaggeration, but if you read the Wikipedia article on fasting you will find that this is accomplished by many holy men and women. Such fasting empties the body and soul of worldly consciousness in order that one's spirit can directly interact with the unseen spiritual beings e.g. Satan.

The Islamic fasting instructions are probably imported from both Judaism and this early Christianity. Note again that the recommended fasting days in Islam and Judaism are identical, i.e., Monday and Thursday. And the 30 day fast of Ramadan may have been inspired by Christ's fast.

Another curious parallel between Islam and pertinent Jewish sectarianism is the focus on the lunar calendar (which gives us Ramadan). This shift was originally constructed by the so-called returning Exiles in the 400s BC; prior to that time, the local Palestinian cult followed the solar calendar. In the later centuries B.C. a sectarian group at Qumran 'fought back' and reasserted a solar calendar, in order to distinguish themselves from the rival sectarian Jews (whose Temple administration was rejected by the Qumran sect).

In all likelihood, the Baptizer and Jesus were members of this Essene-like Qumran sect, or at least were heavily influenced by it. Both men despised the Temple rulers as a brood of vipers.

This new information has been painstakingly reconstructed since about 1990, when the Qumran texts were finally brought into full scholarly scrutiny after they had been hoarded and secreted since the 1940s.

Peace.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I am curious if there is any actual medical evidence that fasting is good for you.

cleese

calm unbiased thinker
Greetings and peace to all,

Regarding fasting in Islam, compared to the original teachings of Jesus, one can find information in the gospel of Matthew and also in an early text called the 'Didache' (Greek work for Teaching). This Didaché (pronounced dee-da-kay) reveals the orignal Christianity which was corrupted after Emperor Constantine in 303. It has been 'lost' from 360s until found in Constantinople, of all places, 1873.

first , i would like to thank you for your concern in reading , and in commenting .
second , fasting in islam doesnt resemble fasting in both christianity or Judaism . it seems that i should have accentuated more the piousness purpose , and its very practical source in fasting the islamic way . (i really do not think that i have to point out that christians eat during their fasting) .
1 - in islam , fasting is a training for piousness the way i have illustrated , the way quran indicated . if you trained your self (willingly) to refrain from what is lawful , then , you will be more capable in refraining from what is not (wines , fornication , cigarettes) ...etc .
2 - by analyzing the fasting activity in islam , you will find that you refrain from eating , drinking , marital intercourse , while the need to work to sell to study at the day light . after that , in nights , you are required to pray , to read quran to pay the extreme attention to the duties that ranging from paving the roads , mercy of animals , profound of every thing Allah created , then , awake while sleeping is required most , and finally , eat when you have no appetite at all for food . again , this is what so called (pushing the human limits further) , consider the time of war , which community is best prepared for patience during long continuous hours of repelling off the aggressions ... helping the injured , drawing back the killed . consider the times of floods and tsunamies ... the need for urgent continuous civil work day and night , whom are best prepared for continuous work with no food , drink , sleeping and entertainment (the way they are banned , not as whole) .
3 - the revelation of quran was in Ramadan , because quran if full of commandments , so what you need with it , is a virtue that keeps you following its teachings and keeps you away of seductions and extractions ... patience i mean . and that is what you acquire from points 1 & 2 .
i have named this article "fasting the islamic way" which apparently differs from the other ways (eating and drinking during the fasting time) , and how it differs in its purposes . islam made the purpose and the enablers very clear , i think , and i should not clarify more here ....

one last thing .... islam respects (really and faithfully, not just orally) the faith experience of the jewish before the christ peace be upon him , and christian's before muhammad peace be upon him , and adores the roles of both lord muses and jesus as respectful prophets of the creator of the universe . fasting was a ritual both nations had before islam , quran indicates so , and asks muslims (when it is their turn now to fulfill the duties of worship to the respectful Creator of the universe) to go through the same path of obedience to the God , except that fasting (as a result) , is not to reject the world of sin , express his regrets or totally get rid of the body desires . life and world in islam are not life of sin (for salvation to be sought) or world of evil . muslim should - moderately- enjoy life , but uses the breaks of the car to keep that moderate aspect .
so , trying to say that islamic fasting is empty of meaning , the days of the week are the same , whatever days chosen for fasting will inevitably resemble the days in the other religions . avoiding the purposes , and their very practical source in the islamic fasting and saying islam is just copying from both christianity and judaism ... is not a fine way to evaluate its ideas .
thanks to you all

Last edited:

Bloomdido

I suppose it's something that can be kept from your holy book. The stoning of women for adultery and the beating of ones' wives is becoming increasingly frowned upon in this modern age. At least husbands in Afghanistan get to legally starve their wives if they don't put out for four days. Likewise with christianity, we don't see too many fundies beating their children to death these days for disrespecting them.

cleese

calm unbiased thinker
I suppose it's something that can be kept from your holy book. The stoning of women for adultery and the beating of ones' wives is becoming increasingly frowned upon in this modern age. At least husbands in Afghanistan get to legally starve their wives if they don't put out for four days. Likewise with christianity, we don't see too many fundies beating their children to death these days for disrespecting them.
mr bloom :
1 - stoning is also mentioned the torah , the old testament i mean . not quran only , but it seems that people in west can not criticize any thing related to the jewish or judaism after what the west it self did to them in ww2​
2 - beating women , is when the husband knows after seeing signs and touching proves that his wife is on the blink of adultery (the prophet clarified this by saying : and it is your right on them , not to bring others to your beds , otherwise unpainful beating) , so to punish her and to prevent her from ruining the whole family . this action , comes only after two preceding ways of punishment :
1 - advising them smoothly ,
2 - the Abandoned bedding ,
see what quran says :
"O you who believe! You are forbidden to inherit women against their will; and you should not treat them with harshness, that you may take away part of the Mahr [SIZE=-1][3][/SIZE] you have given them, unless they commit open illegal sexual intercourse; and live with them honourably. If you dislike them, it may be that you dislike a thing and Allâh brings through it a great deal of good."
when these two ways fail , there is no way out except punishment .
otherwise , tell me what would you do if you knew after all the duties incumbent on the husband's shoulders towards his wife , that your wife is about to go through that dark road , and she doesnt respond to any of the fine ways of treatment .... ?
i think you need to revise your look , because in west(not in afganistan) .... husbands , are beating their wives not for not being straightforward , but for much less important reasons .
thanks for your time

Last edited:

Bloomdido

How can I take you or your faith seriously when you condone the beating and subjegation of women? It assumes, as do most religions, that the male is superior, however Western religions tend to fall short of advocating beatings for intent to commit adultery.