• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The whole God and Evil thing with God.

Is God good?

• Yes

Votes: 16 59.3%
  • No

Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Neither good nor evil

Votes: 4 14.8%
  • Unsure

Votes: 1 3.7%

• Total voters

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
Every time I use Stalin's USSR as an example of an atheist utopia I am told that they did not use atheism as the foundation on which they based anything they did upon. Which is it?

Atheism is not a political stance. It is not even a worldview. It is simply the disbelief in gods. It is like not believing in many other things. Forcing it to people, because it is allegedely entailed by communism, is a political stance. Stalin oppressed Christians because he though you cannot be a communist and a Christian.

There is a difference between what a thing can justify and what it results in. I said atheism justifies anarchy and / or nihilism, and I have said over and over again that what it always leads to is might makes right. That would describe the USSR. You

That was Old Freddie worry. And I tend to agree. It is possible to rationally justify nihilism on the basis of the ultimate absence of inherent values or purposes.

But what are we debating here? The importance of God existence (and ultimate purposes), or the importance of belief in those things?

Based on what, convenience?

The weird thing about atheism is can't be a positive foundation for anything, it is simply the utter lack of a foundation. You can't build anything with it, all you can do is undermine what other things claim to built upon.

Atheism is not a worldview. You have liberal atheists and conservative atheists. C'mon, do we really need a belief in some invisible cosmic purpose and moral giver in order to realize that we should not kill each other and steal our stuff? On the contrary, why should we spend any effort in building anything if final justice is guranteed in the afterlife anyway?

If that is the case, we would be a pretty sorry lot of primates, indeed. Would you start killing folks without problems if you lost your faith tomorrow?

I decided not to above, but here is another need for an explanation. I would say self interest (anarchy) and nihilism are the only things atheism can justify. However societies can't function (or at least flourish) on those grounds so atheists (as Ravi so eloquently states) must smuggle in the things of God while trying to shut the door before God himself can get in. Secularists have to affirm objective moral values and duties, objective meaning, inherent human rights, inherent dignity, life's sanctity, equality, etc....while simultaneously denying their only possible source. Secular nations like yours would have been swallowed up by Stalin (whatever flavor of evil he actually was) if not for the Christian US.

Yes, you can affirm all those things without recognizing that there is a metaphysical source thereof. When a truth is self evident, as the fathers of your country held, you do not need any further explanation. That is what "self evident" means.

God is superflous, really. The same with belief in Him.

Who are they? When you do not quote 95% of my original post a lot of context goes out the window. I am not talking about how an atheist lives (they like any other group are all over the map) I am talking about what a world view's impact on moral ontology is.

Atheism is not a worldview. Is the lack of belief in supernatural gods. Is not believing in Mother Goose a worldview, too?

I do not share your belief they are despised in America. Our cultural stratification is pretty much the opposite today, to the way it was from our founding through the late 1940s.

Well, that is what the polls say. As reliable as they can be.

What are in your opinion the chances to be elected as POTUS if you say you are an atheist?

Your not claiming victimhood by proxy are you? What American Christian is currently persecuting you? I used to warn secularists up front in any discussion about morality that my claims were about the nature of morality (usually concerning 2 if then arguments) and so no one should reply to my claims with issues concerning moral epistemology. Just like you are doing. I finally realized that almost all of them went ahead and did it anyway, so I gave it up. Nothing in the single sentence of mine that you responded to has anything to do with how anyone acts.

Victimhood? Nope. I am a Swede. Being atheists in my country is so frowned upon as having blonde hair.

Your analogy is absurd. The weight of evidence between the two competitors is more extreme that the height difference between Olympus Mons and the average speed bump, which probably explains why I do not see even a 1 - 1 billion ratio in sincere believers between the them. However, since I know of no Mother Goose utopias that have killed tens of millions of their own citizens or kill off their own young in the womb on an industrial scale, I prefer their form of moral insanity.

Yes, and by doing that, you prove my point. What you believe is not important. What that belief entails is important.

I mean, you have some politicians who go away with being mormons. Some were even presidential candidates. Magic underwear, postumous baptism, getting a planet after death, and all that. Some were even observant Jews who, by definition, do not believe in any of those Jesus stories.

So, let's suppose that Mother Goose hates abortion, loves weapons, frowns upon gays and threats to the family, tolerates the death penalty and slavery, well, .... maybe only the former today, because of Her new covenant, change of mind, or whatever.

Would that be more acceptable for you?

Ciao

- viole

Last edited:

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
I mean, you have some politicians who go away with being mormons. Some were even presidential candidates. Magic underwear, postumous baptism, getting a planet after death, and all that
Seriously, viole? I'm surprised to see such juvenile comments from you.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
Seriously, viole? I'm surprised to see such juvenile comments from you.

Well, I expected that. Sorry. But I am very ecumenic about religious beliefs. So, I do not believe that one is more ridicolous than the other. I strongly believe that they all deserve the absolutely equal amount of respect. Since they all have the same evidence.

My point is that robin will probably not believe that any of the mormon's tenets are true. With the possible exception of Jesus still being an active presence.

Now I hope the Jews will not complain, as well :)

Ciao

- viole

1robin

Christian/Baptist
Atheism is not a political stance. It is not even a worldview. It is simply the disbelief in gods. It is like not believing in many other things. Forcing it to people, because it is allegedely entailed by communism, is a political stance. Stalin oppressed Christians because he though you cannot be a communist and a Christian.
I take every person individually. If you do not consider Stalin's USSR an atheist driven mind set and you will be consistent then I won't use it as an example. However if you use it as an example of atheism (as I believe you did) then they are back on the table. So, please chose a position, but just one. Its the same thing with evolution, people keep claiming what it produced if it is convenient, but deny what it produced if inconvenient. I don't care which just be consistent.

That was Old Freddie worry. And I tend to agree. It is possible to rationally justify nihilism on the basis of the ultimate absence of inherent values or purposes.
Why do we spend hours debating this only to wind up right back where I started. It seems we agree that moral nihilism is justifiable on atheism. IOW the ontology of moral values and duties given atheism is non-existence. I would also agree that most atheists are on average morally on par with theists. So the only thing left to discuss is moral epistemology which is another subject entirely.

But what are we debating here?
Exactly, there is nothing to debate. There are only two inescapable "if then" conditions which digitally determine the nature of moral ontology.

The importance of God existence (and ultimate purposes), or the importance of belief in those things?
And here you switch to epistemology. I always assumed you knew the difference between the two but let me give a brief description.

1. Ontology is the nature of a thing.
2. Epistemology is how we come to know about a thing.

So you can see how the nature of a thing is independent of how we come to know about it. Things get blurry when you do not keep both properly compartmentalized.

Atheism is not a worldview. You have liberal atheists and conservative atheists. C'mon, do we really need a belief in some invisible cosmic purpose and moral giver in order to realize that we should not kill each other and steal our stuff? On the contrary, why should we spend any effort in building anything if final justice is guranteed in the afterlife anyway?
We keep stepping on each other. Here again you have gotten what atheism can justify with what do atheists do or believe. Atheists do and think a great many things, but not much of what they do or think is consistent with or can be based on atheism. I am pretty sure atheism is a net loss of epic proportions. Can you name anything you can erect on the foundation of a lack of belief in God that can't be better erected on some theological foundation? The only thing I can think of is atheism, alone. BTW are you a positive atheist (what until now has been called simply atheism or hard atheist), or are you an a-theist (what has been called agnostic or soft atheism)? These days you can't define an atheist by atheism.

If that is the case, we would be a pretty sorry lot of primates, indeed. Would you start killing folks without problems if you lost your faith tomorrow?
What I would do or you would do is not relevant. What two foundations would justify is.

Which worldview on average would result in less murders?
1. Human life has inherent sanctity, has an eternal soul, has infinite value, and infinite worth. We will all face absolute justice for our actions eventually.
2. Humans are merely biological anomalies, lacking a soul, no ultimate value or worth. Hitler and Billy Graham's ultimate fate was the same.

What I showed above concerning murder would apply exactly the same to all countless concepts.

Yes, you can affirm all those things without recognizing that there is a metaphysical source thereof. When a truth is self evident, as the fathers of your country held, you do not need any further explanation. That is what "self evident" means.
Then why didn't the non-Christian Jefferson actually do so? He literally cut the core doctrines out of his bible but could not find another source for the rights of man that nature's God.

God is superflous, really. The same with belief in Him.
As your favorite scholar once stated:

Thus, for instance, I was much moved by the eloquent attack on Christianity as a thing of inhuman gloom; for I thought (and still think) sincere pessimism the unpardonable sin. Insincere pessimism is a social accomplishment, rather agreeable than otherwise; and fortunately nearly all pessimism is insincere. But if Christianity was, as these people said, a thing purely pessimistic and opposed to life, then I was quite prepared to blow up St. Paul’s Cathedral. But the extraordinary thing is this. They did prove to me in Chapter I. (to my complete satisfaction) that Christianity was too pessimistic; and then, in Chapter II., they began to prove to me that it was a great deal too optimistic. One accusation against Christianity was that it prevented men, by morbid tears and terrors, from seeking joy and liberty in the bosom of Nature. But another accusation was that it comforted men with a fictitious providence, and put them in a pink-and-white nursery. One great agnostic asked why Nature was not beautiful enough, and why it was hard to be free. Another great agnostic objected that Christian optimism, “the garment of make-believe woven by pious hands,” hid from us the fact that Nature was ugly, and that it was impossible to be free. One rationalist had hardly done calling Christianity a nightmare before another began to call it a fool’s paradise. This puzzled me; the charges seemed inconsistent. Christianity could not at once be the black mask on a white world, and also the white mask on a black world. The state of the Christian could not be at once so comfortable that he was a coward to cling to it, and so uncomfortable that he was a fool to stand it. If it falsified human vision it must falsify it one way or another; it could not wear both green and rose-coloured spectacles. I rolled on my tongue with a terrible joy, as did all young men of that time, the taunts which Swinburne hurled at the dreariness of the creed—

“Thou hast conquered, O pale Galilaean
Orthodoxy - Christian Classics Ethereal Library

I think I am going to run out of room and maybe time, so I will continue below:

1robin

Christian/Baptist
Atheism is not a worldview. Is the lack of belief in supernatural gods. Is not believing in Mother Goose a worldview, too?
Apparently it depends on the Atheist. No matter how I see atheism defined it seems to be a null set. Yes not believing in Mother Goose is a world view. You might want to pick another analogy though, I am not sure that Mother Goose even refers to a thing, but if so what thing?

Well, that is what the polls say. As reliable as they can be.
There is a poll comparing the despise (al) rate of modern day American Atheists to late 18th century rates?

What are in your opinion the chances to be elected as POTUS if you say you are an atheist?
I kind of want to agree with you on this one but I do not know how to test this. Regardless, for the first time, in the last decade, one of the major two parties took God out of their platform. Can you guess which side?

Victimhood? Nope. I am a Swede. Being atheists in my country is so frowned upon as having blonde hair.
Let me quote you:
Do you think they would despise me less if I say that I believe in Mother Goose?
So your claiming we despise you now? Do you have a poll for the despise (al) rate of Swedish atheists by Americans?

Yes, and by doing that, you prove my point. What you believe is not important. What that belief entails is important.
Boy, you really went of the rails here. I said your analogy was absurd, that does not reveal anything about the nature of my faith's foundations.

I mean, you have some politicians who go away with being mormons. Some were even presidential candidates. Magic underwear, postumous baptism, getting a planet after death, and all that. Some were even observant Jews who, by definition, do not believe in any of those Jesus stories.
Did you mean to say get away with? If not, I don't get it.

So, let's suppose that Mother Goose hates abortion, loves weapons, frowns upon gays and threats to the family, tolerates the death penalty and slavery, well, .... maybe only the former today, because of Her new covenant, change of mind, or whatever.

Would that be more acceptable for you?

Ciao

- viole
Yes, faith in even the mythical, moral schizophrenic, title character of a series of children's books seems preferable to atheism as a moral foundation.

BTW I described Mormonism the same way you did and the same Mormon denounced my claims as well. Perhaps you misunderstand one more religion than I.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
I take every person individually. If you do not consider Stalin's USSR an atheist driven mind set and you will be consistent then I won't use it as an example. However if you use it as an example of atheism (as I believe you did) then they are back on the table. So, please chose a position, but just one. Its the same thing with evolution, people keep claiming what it produced if it is convenient, but deny what it produced if inconvenient. I don't care which just be consistent.

Bad people do bad things. Many Nazi officers, maybe Hitler included, were Catholics. And their church, which is by definition made up of God believers, never excommunicated them. They prefer to excommunicate a doctor performing an abortion on a girl risking her life because of her pregrancy, rather than people killing crying Jewish children in the face. I am sure they need to work on their epistemology, too.

True, you are not Catholic. But they do believe in God. So, do you expect me to buy the idea that religious belief provides a better support for morality?

And what about the reformation? Have you read Luther? Have you read his booklet titled "on the Jews and their lies"? How is that distinguishable from a treatise written by SS Reichsführer Himmler?

Is this what we should expect from believers in God? Can I use these cases? If not, why not?

Now, take your defense, if any, and apply it to Stalin and his atheism.

Why do we spend hours debating this only to wind up right back where I started. It seems we agree that moral nihilism is justifiable on atheism. IOW the ontology of moral values and duties given atheism is non-existence. I would also agree that most atheists are on average morally on par with theists. So the only thing left to discuss is moral epistemology which is another subject entirely.

Exactly, there is nothing to debate. There are only two inescapable "if then" conditions which digitally determine the nature of moral ontology.

And here you switch to epistemology. I always assumed you knew the difference between the two but let me give a brief description.

Ah, but not everyone would agree with you. Some believe that it is nonsensical to postulate an ontology without an epistemology. Mathematical constructivists are like that.

In other words: it is not difficult to make up the existence of X without a way to validate it in a non question begging way. You can try to validate yours without assuming the existence of God given morality in the premises. Let's see where you land.

So you can see how the nature of a thing is independent of how we come to know about it. Things get blurry when you do not keep both properly compartmentalized.

Yes, and probably there is an ontology concerning the standards of beauty that come from the nature of the invisible fairy. Don't ask me about the epistemology, for the two things should not be confused. :)

We keep stepping on each other. Here again you have gotten what atheism can justify with what do atheists do or believe. Atheists do and think a great many things, but not much of what they do or think is consistent with or can be based on atheism. I am pretty sure atheism is a net loss of epic proportions. Can you name anything you can erect on the foundation of a lack of belief in God that can't be better erected on some theological foundation? The only thing I can think of is atheism, alone. BTW are you a positive atheist (what until now has been called simply atheism or hard atheist), or are you an a-theist (what has been called agnostic or soft atheism)? These days you can't define an atheist by atheism.

I am a naturalist. I reject any teleology, or ultimate purpose, in the Universe, intended as the set of all things that exist.

True, I do not believe that anyone will play harp in Heaven for all eternity. Or that Gods can spawn themselves so that they can die for a while for our sins. But I do not choose my beliefs because they might cause a loss or do not exactly correspond to my wishful thinking, or to my human mundane needs to extend my life, and life of my dear ones, and have justice eventually applied.

What I would do or you would do is not relevant. What two foundations would justify is.

So, atheism can theoretically justify nihilism, ergo it is wrong. Right?

Which worldview on average would result in less murders?
1. Human life has inherent sanctity, has an eternal soul, has infinite value, and infinite worth. We will all face absolute justice for our actions eventually.
2. Humans are merely biological anomalies, lacking a soul, no ultimate value or worth. Hitler and Billy Graham's ultimate fate was the same.

Again, I don't care. Even if atheism would cause the annihilation of humanity, that woukd not entail that God exists. It would entail that we just slightly increase the percentage of of all species who got extinct. Too bad. I am sure that will not cause the galaxy of Andromeda to weep.

I am more interested in what I consider true, then in what I consider safe.

But relax. Real secular democracies do not seem to present any of the malaise you seem to anticipate. So, empirically, your angst can be dismissed out of hand.

Then why didn't the non-Christian Jefferson actually do so? He literally cut the core doctrines out of his bible but could not find another source for the rights of man that nature's God.

Well, since Jesus was a man, it is not surprising that he, allegedely, understood what is good for us. Wouldn't you, if you never heard of Jesus? Really?

You seem to indicate that the divinity of Jesus is the only explanation for Him to have discovered the golden rule. Oh, well. A miracle! Only a God could have undesrtood that it is maybe a good idea to treat the other as we would like to be treated. All those other miracles He performed were just superflous and uninteresting show offs. ;)

As your favorite scholar once stated:

Thus, for instance, I was much moved by the eloquent attack on Christianity as a thing of inhuman gloom; for I thought (and still think) sincere pessimism the unpardonable sin. Insincere pessimism is a social accomplishment, rather agreeable than otherwise; and fortunately nearly all pessimism is insincere. But if Christianity was, as these people said, a thing purely pessimistic and opposed to life, then I was quite prepared to blow up St. Paul’s Cathedral. But the extraordinary thing is this. They did prove to me in Chapter I. (to my complete satisfaction) that Christianity was too pessimistic; and then, in Chapter II., they began to prove to me that it was a great deal too optimistic. One accusation against Christianity was that it prevented men, by morbid tears and terrors, from seeking joy and liberty in the bosom of Nature. But another accusation was that it comforted men with a fictitious providence, and put them in a pink-and-white nursery. One great agnostic asked why Nature was not beautiful enough, and why it was hard to be free. Another great agnostic objected that Christian optimism, “the garment of make-believe woven by pious hands,” hid from us the fact that Nature was ugly, and that it was impossible to be free. One rationalist had hardly done calling Christianity a nightmare before another began to call it a fool’s paradise. This puzzled me; the charges seemed inconsistent. Christianity could not at once be the black mask on a white world, and also the white mask on a black world. The state of the Christian could not be at once so comfortable that he was a coward to cling to it, and so uncomfortable that he was a fool to stand it. If it falsified human vision it must falsify it one way or another; it could not wear both green and rose-coloured spectacles. I rolled on my tongue with a terrible joy, as did all young men of that time, the taunts which Swinburne hurled at the dreariness of the creed—

“Thou hast conquered, O pale Galilaean
Orthodoxy - Christian Classics Ethereal Library

I think I am going to run out of room and maybe time, so I will continue below:

My favorite scholar of Christianity is Karlheinz Deschner. I am not sure if that is taken from his books.

Ciao

- viole

Last edited:

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
Apparently it depends on the Atheist. No matter how I see atheism defined it seems to be a null set. Yes not believing in Mother Goose is a world view. You might want to pick another analogy though, I am not sure that Mother Goose even refers to a thing, but if so what thing?

Mother Goose? It is man's figment of the imagination. Like your God. On second thought, maybe not. Like the Flying Spaghetti Monster, she could be an instance of revelation through the human mind. Who can say? :)

There is a poll comparing the despise (al) rate of modern day American Atheists to late 18th century rates?

Really, I have no clue. People tell me that recent polls support that. Not in NY city. In all of the States.

I kind of want to agree with you on this one but I do not know how to test this. Regardless, for the first time, in the last decade, one of the major two parties took God out of their platform. Can you guess which side?

The one who lost, maybe?

Let me quote you: So your claiming we despise you now? Do you have a poll for the despise (al) rate of Swedish atheists by Americans?

I am afraid not. Their polls do not seem to make a difference about nationality.

But this is a good question. Do you think that an atheist American would be more frowned upon, in America, than a crazy atheist European?

Boy, you really went of the rails here. I said your analogy was absurd, that does not reveal anything about the nature of my faith's foundations.

Did you mean to say get away with? If not, I don't get it.

Yup. Did you mean "went OFF the rails"? If not, I don't get it. I am not sure what "went OF the rails" means.

Lol. I could that forever. Amazing I can always do it in the same quote.

Yes, faith in even the mythical, moral schizophrenic, title character of a series of children's books seems preferable to atheism as a moral foundation.

I understand. Many children books could not be distinguishable from the Bible. I would say that if a child grew up surrounded by adult people insisting that a guy living three days in a whale's belly is a faity tale, while Snow White poisonous apple is a fact, she could not know the difference. We would just discuss now the reality of the magic mirror, instead.

BTW I described Mormonism the same way you did and the same Mormon denounced my claims as well. Perhaps you misunderstand one more religion than I.

Maybe. Do you accept their tenets?

Ciao

- viole

Last edited:

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Yup. Did you mean "went OFF the rails"? If not, I don't get it. I am not sure what "went OF the rails" means.
Be careful. You probably just hit a nerve. When Robin made a couple of similar grammatical errors in a thread he and I were both posting in, and I called it to his attention, I never heard the last of it. We never were able to get back on the actual topic. Of course, "went of the rails" doesn't mean a darn thing, but you're supposed to just ignore the nonsense and figure out for yourself what he actually meant to say.

Oh, and by the way, he definitely doesn't accept Mormonism any more than you do, so you two have something in common! :p

Last edited:

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
Be careful. You probably just hit a nerve. When Robin made a couple of similar grammatical errors in a thread he and I were both posting in, and I called it to his attention, I never heard the last of it. We never were able to get back on the actual topic. Of course, "went of the rails" doesn't mean a darn thing, but you're supposed to just ignore the nonsense and figure out for yourself what he actually meant to say.

Oh, and by the way, he definitely doesn't accept Mormonism any more than you do, so you two have something in common! :p

Nah, he probably laughed about that.

Fact is: I only do that when someone points out MY grammatical errors. I always do that, with everybody.

Funny thing, I always manage to find one grammatical error of his in the same quote (not to speak of the whole post) where he remarks an error of mine.

So, it is a friendly reminder of mine that judging or throwing the first stone is dangerous.

Ciao

- viole