• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Vulnerability Inside

tomspug

Absorbant
I think that sexuality is one of the most complex experiences of being human. It is a physical act, but it is intermingled with emotion and psychology. It's vulnerable nature exposes us to the rawness of ourselves, with the potential for both incredible joy and incredible pain.

Being vulnerable is inherently dangerous, which is why parents are so protective of the sexuality of their children. While if you become vulnerable with a trustworthy person, you can find satisfaction, peace, and growth, if you become vulnerable with an untrustworthy person, you will be taken advantage of, used, and filled with loss, grief, and regret.

Do we really understand the importance of sex? How much it shapes us and has the potential to transform us into a completely different person? And when sex becomes ordinary, as opposed to extraordinary, isn't something lost?

I don't think that the vulnerability of sex is meant to deteriorate. It is meant to be cherished. But the result of negative sexual experiences causes us to flee from vulnerability, which dulls sex, makes it more about getting than giving (the nature of vulnerability). When sex becomes easy, isn't its original value, the passion of a virgin, nearly lost? Anticipation for one-ness is replaced with an anticipation for personal enjoyment and satisfaction. It stops being about two people and starts being about one person, either complete selfishness or complete selflessness, neither being good.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
I think that sexuality is one of the most complex experiences of being human. It is a physical act, but it is intermingled with emotion and psychology. It's vulnerable nature exposes us to the rawness of ourselves, with the potential for both incredible joy and incredible pain.

Being vulnerable is inherently dangerous, which is why parents are so protective of the sexuality of their children. While if you become vulnerable with a trustworthy person, you can find satisfaction, peace, and growth, if you become vulnerable with an untrustworthy person, you will be taken advantage of, used, and filled with loss, grief, and regret.
Beautifully said.

Do we really understand the importance of sex? How much it shapes us and has the potential to transform us into a completely different person? And when sex becomes ordinary, as opposed to extraordinary, isn't something lost?
I think I do. I grew out of neopaganism, which teaches that sex is sacred, and that's one of the things I've kept.

I don't think that the vulnerability of sex is meant to deteriorate. It is meant to be cherished. But the result of negative sexual experiences causes us to flee from vulnerability, which dulls sex, makes it more about getting than giving (the nature of vulnerability). When sex becomes easy, isn't its original value, the passion of a virgin, nearly lost? Anticipation for one-ness is replaced with an anticipation for personal enjoyment and satisfaction. It stops being about two people and starts being about one person, either complete selfishness or complete selflessness, neither being good.
Again, I think I've managed to keep this, but you're right - there are many who don't. It makes me sad.

Roal

As was mentioned before, my religion allows for sex to be something sacred, if not divine. So I am thankful for that.

It does sadden me to see such a beautiful act cheapened to the level of triviality, almost making it a past-time.

Aishikyo

Endless

Sex is not necessarily a thing about "one-ness."
Sex is 3 things- a way to conceive a child, an act of physical pleasure like any other, and an act of intimacy.
It does not have to be all 3 of those things in all cases.
In the sense that it is a physical pleasure it's really no different than anything else we indulge ourselves in. I see nothing wrong with people using it for that purpose, it gives pleasure for many people after all.
It's really only any more than a physical pleasure if the people involved make it that.
Just like any other activity one may perform with a loved one.
For example, hugging. Many people hug as a show of friendship. Some people even hug just for the sake of hugging. But for me and my beloved, hugging is a very intimate thing, we love hugging each other constantly but I don't like being hugged by others because to me it is an intimate act that I try to reserve only for my love.

Aishikyo

Endless
As was mentioned before, my religion allows for sex to be something sacred, if not divine. So I am thankful for that.

It does sadden me to see such a beautiful act cheapened to the level of triviality, almost making it a past-time.

But the beauty of sex is entirely subjective. It is an opinion. It's not a fact that sex is beautiful.
Not everyone sees it that way, so not everyone will treat it as a beautiful act.
In fact I find it revolting, myself.

Roal

But the beauty of sex is entirely subjective. It is an opinion. It's not a fact that sex is beautiful.
Not everyone sees it that way, so not everyone will treat it as a beautiful act.

Well I do see it as a beautiful act, therefore the opposite I would find revolting. Like you said, it's a matter of opinion, therefore I will entertain that opinion and like minds

There is no right or wrong here, and I don't think this is a debate forum. So to each his own

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member

That is bit puzzling really. I wish I were in a position to inquire into the matter.

Anyway, while it is true that the beauty of sex is subjective, it is not any less of a fact due to that subjectivity. All that happens is that the beauty depends on the subject, varies from one person to another. But it is not less real, any less factual; it is just defined in function of a specific person.

Aishikyo

Endless
That is bit puzzling really. I wish I were in a position to inquire into the matter.

Anyway, while it is true that the beauty of sex is subjective, it is not any less of a fact due to that subjectivity. All that happens is that the beauty depends on the subject, varies from one person to another. But it is not less real, any less factual; it is just defined in function of a specific person.

What is puzzling? I don't think I'll mind if you inquire, I can be a curious and questioning person myself at times.

Actually, due to its subjectivity it is opinion rather than fact. Something objective would be fact, subjective is opinion. Opinions vary, facts do not.

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
When I can Im going to frubal you Tom..(I gave out too many in 24 hours it said..)..

Sex..does make you vulnerable..And if someone mistreats you sexually..or just uses your body for sex really caring nothing about you..just your "sex" ...It can destroy you..IMHO...

For me ..it reduces me to a piece of meat..Not even a human anymore..Just a body with no mind or heart ...nothing..You might as well be a steak and a baked potato someone eats..Or a toilet someone uses the bathroom in..or on..

Love

Dallas

Heneni

Miss Independent
When I can Im going to frubal you Tom..(I gave out too many in 24 hours it said..)..

Sex..does make you vulnerable..And if someone mistreats you sexually..or just uses your body for sex really caring nothing about you..just your "sex" ...It can destroy you..IMHO...

For me ..it reduces me to a piece of meat..Not even a human anymore..Just a body with no mind or heart ...nothing..You might as well be a steak and a baked potato someone eats..Or a toilet someone uses the bathroom in..or on..

Love

Dallas

What dallas said. Frubals.