• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Vatican & Gay Priests

Scott1

James Martin, SJ | William McDonough
trans.gif
William McDonough

http://www.commonwealmagazine.org/article.php?id_article=1485

*********** snip *****************
The full effect of the Instruction will not be known for years. It will take time to gauge how bishops and religious superiors apply it, and whether the Vatican will issue subsequent statements if it suspects the document is being interpreted too loosely. It will take time for gay seminarians and gay priests to discern whether the document calls their vocations into question. And it will take time to show whether those young gay men now considering the priesthood will feel discouraged enough to abandon their dreams.

On balance, though, the Instruction will give conservatives what they’ve been demanding for years: fewer gay men entering seminaries and religious orders. Some claim straight men will rush in to fill the vocation gap. That’s wishful thinking. When asked about this theory, Katarina Schuth, OSF, an expert on U.S. seminaries, said, “People who say that have obviously spent little time around seminaries.” In other words, the Instruction doesn’t affect only potential or current gay priests. It will mean fewer priests staffing parishes, schools, hospitals, and retreat centers. That’s something the whole church should be worried about.
http://www.commonweal.org/

WeAreAllOne

I dont know if you wanted a responce to this but I think the Catholics could really lighten up a bit about things. It would only be in their best intrest. The world is changing and the religions that can not adapt will most likely be damaged.

Scott1

WeAreAllOne said:
I dont know if you wanted a responce to this but I think the Catholics could really lighten up a bit about things. It would only be in their best intrest. The world is changing and the religions that can not adapt will most likely be damaged.
I don't mind getting a "responce", but I usually hope for something a little bit more intelligent than a suggestion to "lighten up" about "things". Thanks anyway. Peace be with you.

Immaculata pray for us,
Scott

jeffrey

†ßig Dog†
Scott, I agree. I sure there are going to be some gay men that would have made wonderful priests, that will not be priests now. I know the problem that the church has had with molestation of boys would only cause some members to become, unjustly, less trusting of a gay priest. There is no one good solution.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I feel the RC Church is in a "no-win" situation. Simply by issuing the order, indicates that they have had a large problem to begin with. Perhaps church officials should spend some time exploring WHY so many young gay men WANT to enter the priesthood. I doubt that fresh choir boys is the real answer. I suspect that there is some appeal in the church that these men do not feel is available to them in ordinary life. It might be fascinating to survey all priests anonomously, probing sexuality and specifically WHY they joined the church. The answers just might be startling.

Has anything like this been done Scott?

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
Hey, guys, just as a general reminder, if you have questions that lead you to understanding about a faith, please feel free to post them here in the discussion section. However, if you have an issue, a debate, or a Major Question, please take it over to the "Debate" section. Thanks in advance!

linwood

I suspect that there is some appeal in the church that these men do not feel is available to them in ordinary life.
Priesthood may seem the perfect answer to a young gay Catholic man.

Homosexuality itself is not a sin, engaging in homosexual acts is the sin.

When a young Catholic man realizes his sexual preference he may very well opt for the priesthood considering it`s state of celibacy is the perfect answer to his problems while at the same time giving a deeper meaning to his life.

From his standpoint I`d say he was correct.

WeAreAllOne

Scott1 said:
don't mind getting a "responce", but I usually hope for something a little bit more intelligent than a suggestion to "lighten up" about "things". Thanks anyway. Peace be with you.
Ok. I admit that was a stupid post:bonk: .

I have a few questions though, why is being gay such a problem, because of what the Bible says, Church doctrine, or both? Also how are gay Catholics in the church viewed? Are they going to Hell, no questions asked? Or is there more to it then that? (For the sake of discussion could we please assume that they can’t choose not to be gay.) Thank you, and sorry for the dumb post :)

Scott1

YmirGF said:
Simply by issuing the order, indicates that they have had a large problem to begin with.
I would not use the term "problem" (but I know what you mean) and I don't think anyone doubts the large number of homosexual Catholic clergy.
Perhaps church officials should spend some time exploring WHY so many young gay men WANT to enter the priesthood.
Well said... and that is the issue I have with this situation: no one will admit they are gay any more.... so, as it has happened for two thousand years, the Church has figured out a way to throw gasoline on a (already raging) fire.
Has anything like this been done Scott?
John Jay College just announced they were going to perform another study... but I'm not sure that it will do any good.

Thanks for the questions... God bless.

WeAreAllOne said:
I have a few questions though, why is being gay such a problem, because of what the Bible says, Church doctrine, or both?
WeAreAllOne said:
Also how are gay Catholics in the church viewed? Are they going to Hell, no questions asked? Or is there more to it then that? (For the sake of discussion could we please assume that they can’t choose not to be gay.)

From the Catechism of the Catholic Church:

Homosexuality refers to relations between men or between women who experience an exclusive or predominant sexual attraction toward persons of the same sex. It has taken a great variety of forms through the centuries and in different cultures. Its psychological genesis remains largely unexplained. Basing itself on Sacred Scripture, which presents homosexual acts as acts of grave depravity, tradition has always declared that "homosexual acts are intrinsically disordered." They are contrary to the natural law. They close the sexual act to the gift of life. They do not proceed from a genuine affective and sexual complementarity. Under no circumstances can they be approved.

The number of men and women who have deep-seated homosexual tendencies is not negligible. This inclination, which is objectively disordered, constitutes for most of them a trial. They must be accepted with respect, compassion, and sensitivity. Every sign of unjust discrimination in their regard should be avoided. These persons are called to fulfill God's will in their lives and, if they are Christians, to unite to the sacrifice of the Lord's Cross the difficulties they may encounter from their condition.

Homosexual persons are called to chastity. By the virtues of self-mastery that teach them inner freedom, at times by the support of disinterested friendship, by prayer and sacramental grace, they can and should gradually and resolutely approach Christian perfection.

Hope this helps you understand...

Mary, the all-holy ever-virgin Mother of God, pray for us sinners.
Scott