• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The universe is it's own god.

Twig pentagram

High Priest
I think there's only two ways that reality could've came to be what it is. #1 The universe created itself. #2 it always existed in some shape or form. What do you think?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I think there's only two ways that reality could've came to be what it is. #1 The universe created itself. #2 it always existed in some shape or form. What do you think?
How do you define the word "universe"?

Can a universe exist without time? If so, what would "it always existed" mean?

sandandfoam

Veteran Member

I have a notion that even if your question could be answered our language could not express that answer.

xkatz

Why do you think that?

Because the Big Bang was not the universe being born IMO. I remember reading somewhere that before the big bang, the universe was sort of like a condensed single mass of heat and energy (like a giant star), and that the Big Bang is causing the universe to expand. Eventually, the universe will contract back into it's former state. It's a cyclic type of thing.

Twig pentagram

High Priest
Because the Big Bang was not the universe being born IMO. I remember reading somewhere that before the big bang, the universe was sort of like a condensed single mass of heat and energy (like a giant star), and that the Big Bang is causing the universe to expand. Eventually, the universe will contract back into it's former state. It's a cyclic type of thing.
I have heard this too.

autonomous1one1

Premium Member
The universe is it's own god. I think there's only two ways that reality could've came to be what it is. #1 The universe created itself. #2 it always existed in some shape or form. What do you think?
Greetings. Here is an interesting Youtube video on the subject. Larry King interviewed Stephen Hawking, Leonard Mlodinow, Deepak Chopra, and Robert Spitzer.
[youtube]9AdKEHzmqxA[/youtube]
YouTube - Larry King Live - Stephen Hawking, Leonard Mlodinow, Deepak Chopra, Robert Spitzer - Part 1 of 3.

Deepak has the right answer.:angel2:

Twig pentagram

High Priest
I was trying to make a point: there is nothing north of the North Pole. In the same way, there's no such thing as "before time".

I don't know. Does this mean that man must have created it?
Of course man created time. Time is a system of observed and calculated movement created by man in order to better organize our lives. The movement was not created by man, but the observation and calculation of the movement (which is called time) was created by man.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Of course man created time. Time is a system of observed and calculated movement created by man in order to better organize our lives. The movement was not created by man, but the observation and calculation of the movement (which is called time) was created by man.
No. The "observation and calculation of the movement" is our system of measuring time, not time itself.

Twig pentagram

High Priest
Greetings. Here is an interesting Youtube video on the subject. Larry King interviewed Stephen Hawking, Leonard Mlodinow, Deepak Chopra, and Robert Spitzer.
[youtube]9AdKEHzmqxA[/youtube]
YouTube - Larry King Live - Stephen Hawking, Leonard Mlodinow, Deepak Chopra, Robert Spitzer - Part 1 of 3.

Deepak has the right answer.:angel2:
Deepak sounds like a pandeist. I don't know who is right, but I think Stephen Hawking and Leonard Mlodinow ideals are closer to mine.