• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Uncivil War Against Islam

By M. Cherif Bassiouni. M. Cherif Bassiouni is a law professor at DePaul University

The slightest bit of anti-Semitism will be met with strong condemnation by the media and the rest of civil society--as it should. But not so for egregious vilification of Islam. Imagine if high visibility Muslim or Christian religious leaders would publicly state to the viewing and hearing of millions of Americans that: "Moses was a terrorist" and "Moses was a brigand and a robber," "Judaism is a monumental scam" and "Judaism is a very evil and wicked religion." The reaction would be overwhelming. President Bush would probably address the nation from the Oval Office to denounce such an outrage, every major newspaper would run denunciatory editorials and TV and radio talk shows would continuously discuss the reasons and the remedies needed. In short, the nation would be swept by a tidal wave of social opprobrium--and rightly so.

But these outrageous and insulting statements were not made about Moses and Judaism, but about the Prophet Muhammad and about Islam. Substitute the first two quotes with "Muhammad" instead of "Moses" and "Islam" for "Judaism" and you would have what was actually said, in that order, by Jerry Falwell, Pat Robertson and Franklin Graham--all respected leaders of the "Christian right." Falwell made his statement on CBS' "60 Minutes" and Graham was the minister who delivered President Bush's inaugural prayer last year.

Reactions against these slanderous statements from the media and civil society were few, no massive outrage, no presidential denunciation, even though the president went to great lengths after Sept. 11 to assert that America's war on terrorism was not a war against Islam. The measured tones of negative media and public reactions to these hateful attacks attest to the degree of social acceptability of these statements, even though some of the utterers proffered tactical retractions. U.S. Atty. Gen. John Ashcroft, an adherent of the "Christian right" whose principal ministers made these slanderous statements, did not investigate, let alone indict, these preachers for hate crimes. He did not even publicly denounce their statements.

This in part explains why Muslims are notoriously targeted by the FBI and the Immigration and Naturalization Service and are frequently treated in the course of their interrogation and detention in a degrading and harsh manner, and nothing is done about it.

Power and influence are the currency of American society, those who have it and know how to use it succeed in advancing their causes, and those who don't remain disenfranchised. Native Americans and African-Americans have had a long time to learn that lesson. Now it is the turn of Muslims and Arab-Americans to learn it--the hard way.

The Muslim world does not fathom the peculiarities of American society. They think that if something is wrong, it should apply across-the-board. They see double standards in America's foreign policy and now domestically as well. They do not understand that if anti-Semitism is met with such opposition, it is substantially because American Jews, to their credit, make it their business to fight against it. And they do not understand that since American Muslims are complacent about anti-Islamism, they will not be heard and that practice will go on. Above all, they do not understand why the Bush administration is silent against Islam-haters when it is trying so hard in its hopeless propaganda effort to win over the hearts and minds of the world's 1.2 billion Muslims.

Who needs Osama bin Laden to recruit terrorists when we have such eloquent spokespeople for America's hate war against Islam? To stop this hateful prejudice is a question of principle. It is also a matter of our national security.

Source ( Free registration required ):

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...0311oct22.story

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
I seem to remember a lot of press about stoping anti-muslim prejudice especally just after 9-11.
I think you will find that most people are reasonable and don't have anything against your faith, but that those who do are very vocal about it.
For some reason idiots always have the biggest mouths. :roll:

But to say we arn't doing anything to fix the problem is to not be looking at what is realy happining... America is working on the problem.. goups like the anit-defimation league are working hard to prevent the FBI from racial profiling and other offences... and to make shure that the rights of those kept in the bases in Cuba arn't forgotten.

both Robertson and Falwell are notoriously bigoted to a wide range of groups and do more to discredit thier causes then to champion them. IMHO

wa:-do

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
painted wolf said:
both Robertson and Falwell are notoriously bigoted to a wide range of groups and do more to discredit thier causes then to champion them. IMHO

It was Jerry Falwall who, just days after 9/11 made this comment: "I really believe that the pagans, and the abortionists, and the feminists, and the gays and the lesbians who are actively trying to make that an alternative lifestyle, the ACLU, People For the American Way, all of them who have tried to secularize America. I point the finger in their face and say 'you helped this happen.'"

He didn't blame Islam or Muslims in that statement, he blamed Americans that don't fit in with his idea of a perfect America. Now if that doesn't tell you what kind of man he is, I don't know what will. Take what he says, and others like him, with a grain of salt...

:roll:

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
don't you mean a pillar of salt? :lol:

hell, good old pat eaven hates other christians..
heres a fun collection of quotes on intolerance.

"You say you're supposed to be nice to the Episcopalians and the Presbyterians and the Methodists and this, that, and the other thing. Nonsense. I don't have to be nice to the spirit of the Antichrist. I can love the people who hold false opinions but I don't have to be nice to them."--Pat Robertson, The 700 Club, January 14, 1991

"I don't know that atheists should be considered citizens, nor should they be considered patriots. This is one nation under God."-- George Bush

"I want you to just let a wave of intolerance wash over you. I want you to let a wave of hatred wash over you. Yes, hate is good...Our goal is a Christian nation. We have a Biblical duty, we are called by God, to conquer this country. We don't want equal time. We don't want pluralism."--Randall Terry, Founder of Operation Rescue, The News-Sentinel, Fort Wayne, Indiana, 8-16-93

for more fun go to:
http://www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/7027/quotes.html
http://www.gainesvillehumanists.org/patr.htm

Painted Wolf-

"I don't know that atheists should be considered citizens, nor should they be considered patriots. This is one nation under God."-- George Bush

Was that George W. Bush or Bush senior who said that?

Mr. Bassiouni-
you said

"U.S. Atty. Gen. John Ashcroft, an adherent of the "Christian right" whose principal ministers made these slanderous statements, did not investigate, let alone indict, these preachers for hate crimes. "

Do you actually think those right-wing Christian guys should have been INDICTED for what they said (offensive though it may be)? The U.S. isn't a police state, remember- we have freedom of speech and it isn't against the law to say "such-and-such religion is bad".
Also, you say that power is the currency of American society, in contrast to the countries of the Muslim world. I beg your pardon, but since when was the Middle East known for its benevolent free and open democratic regimes?? It seems to me that your average Muslim living under the oppressive grip of the regimes in Pakistan, Egypt, and Iran have a lot less power than those living in the U.S.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
Mr_Spinkles-

the quote is from G.W Bush... not long after 9/11

While leagaly the hate talk from those people is not illeagal, I beleive that more could have been done to show that such bigotry is unacceptable in this country... :roll:

Rex

Founder
painted wolf said:
Mr_Spinkles-

the quote is from G.W Bush... not long after 9/11

While leagaly the hate talk from those people is not illeagal, I beleive that more could have been done to show that such bigotry is unacceptable in this country... :roll:

so true!!

Well, Bush better wait until AFTER the election to take away my citizenship, or my vote for him won't count! And Ohio is a contested state! lol how horribly ironic...

Back to Islam- I think Islam and Christianity have a lot in common. There are fanatical right-wing nuts on both sides. I'm sure rational Christians don't consider Jerry Falwell their spokesperson any more than rational Muslims consider Bin Laden their spokesperson.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
too true... like I said its too bad idiots have shuch big mouths... :roll:

every philosophy/religion has thier fanatics...
perhaps they are there to remind us of what we should avoid becoming...

life=?

The Shield of Islam said:

By M. Cherif Bassiouni. M. Cherif Bassiouni is a law professor at DePaul University

The slightest bit of anti-Semitism will be met with strong condemnation by the media and the rest of civil society--as it should. But not so for egregious vilification of Islam. Imagine if high visibility Muslim or Christian religious leaders would publicly state to the viewing and hearing of millions of Americans that: "Moses was a terrorist" and "Moses was a brigand and a robber," "Judaism is a monumental scam" and "Judaism is a very evil and wicked religion." The reaction would be overwhelming. President Bush would probably address the nation from the Oval Office to denounce such an outrage, every major newspaper would run denunciatory editorials and TV and radio talk shows would continuously discuss the reasons and the remedies needed. In short, the nation would be swept by a tidal wave of social opprobrium--and rightly so.

But these outrageous and insulting statements were not made about Moses and Judaism, but about the Prophet Muhammad and about Islam. Substitute the first two quotes with "Muhammad" instead of "Moses" and "Islam" for "Judaism" and you would have what was actually said, in that order, by Jerry Falwell, Pat Robertson and Franklin Graham--all respected leaders of the "Christian right." Falwell made his statement on CBS' "60 Minutes" and Graham was the minister who delivered President Bush's inaugural prayer last year.

Reactions against these slanderous statements from the media and civil society were few, no massive outrage, no presidential denunciation, even though the president went to great lengths after Sept. 11 to assert that America's war on terrorism was not a war against Islam. The measured tones of negative media and public reactions to these hateful attacks attest to the degree of social acceptability of these statements, even though some of the utterers proffered tactical retractions. U.S. Atty. Gen. John Ashcroft, an adherent of the "Christian right" whose principal ministers made these slanderous statements, did not investigate, let alone indict, these preachers for hate crimes. He did not even publicly denounce their statements.

This in part explains why Muslims are notoriously targeted by the FBI and the Immigration and Naturalization Service and are frequently treated in the course of their interrogation and detention in a degrading and harsh manner, and nothing is done about it.

Power and influence are the currency of American society, those who have it and know how to use it succeed in advancing their causes, and those who don't remain disenfranchised. Native Americans and African-Americans have had a long time to learn that lesson. Now it is the turn of Muslims and Arab-Americans to learn it--the hard way.

The Muslim world does not fathom the peculiarities of American society. They think that if something is wrong, it should apply across-the-board. They see double standards in America's foreign policy and now domestically as well. They do not understand that if anti-Semitism is met with such opposition, it is substantially because American Jews, to their credit, make it their business to fight against it. And they do not understand that since American Muslims are complacent about anti-Islamism, they will not be heard and that practice will go on. Above all, they do not understand why the Bush administration is silent against Islam-haters when it is trying so hard in its hopeless propaganda effort to win over the hearts and minds of the world's 1.2 billion Muslims.

Who needs Osama bin Laden to recruit terrorists when we have such eloquent spokespeople for America's hate war against Islam? To stop this hateful prejudice is a question of principle. It is also a matter of our national security.

It's funny that you posted that if you remember when was the last time the western world went in and fought for Christians? ......

And what is even more funny is that in Iraq they are fighting to help Muslim people and the last time I checked the NATO was in Kosovo (please correct me if I have the wrong country) defending Muslims against Christians.

BUT have they ever gone in and defend Christians in ISLAMIC countries?? What about Indonesia etc where Muslim people are killing Christians? What about that? Or should the world just protect Muslims?

It is really good when we choose to remember certain things and not others isn’t it?

life=?

The Shield of Islam said:

It's funny that you posted that if you remember when was the last time the western world went in and fought for Christians? ......

And what is even more funny is that in Iraq they are fighting to help Muslim people and the last time I checked the NATO was in Kosovo (please correct me if I have the wrong country) defending Muslims against Christians.

BUT have they ever gone in and defend Christians in ISLAMIC countries?? What about Indonesia etc where Muslim people are killing Christians? What about that? Or should the world just protect Muslims?

It is really good when we choose to remember certain things and not others isn’t it?

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
From the OP - I think it's naive to say that Christians and Jews don't get mountains of criticism. I think it would be closer to the truth to say that Muslims need to get used to a global society where communication is fast, and criticism flies in all directions.

Ahmed99

From the OP - I think it's naive to say that Christians and Jews don't get mountains of criticism. I think it would be closer to the truth to say that Muslims need to get used to a global society where communication is fast, and criticism flies in all directions.

Ahmed99

Why can't the Zionist realize that they are racist. That there will never be even a small chance of any kind of real talks of peace. Until they can truly look at themselves in all honesty and see that what they do and how they treat others is unexceptionable. Does anyone really believe they want peaceful coexistence with anyone. Ahmad 99.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
Hi Ahmed99,

I just realized that this is an old, old thread that you brought back to life. It's probably better to start a new thread.

Also, this thread wasn't about Zionists :)