• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The UK...For Our US Members

exchemist

Veteran Member
My biggest peeve is when people conflate Europe and the European Union.
In the British press that's become really common since Brexit. It annoys me, as you can imagine.

But it seems to be a real way of thinking among the Brexitty Right in the Tory party. They actually seem to think the British Isles are not part of Europe, whether geographically, culturally, economically or politically. How else to explain the obsession with a US trade deal (which shows no signs of materialising) or most recently the despicable notion of renouncing the European Convention on Human Rights? Quite mad.

exchemist

Veteran Member
True. But then north of Watford Gap there's no gas or electricity.
As a Sarf Londoner I always feel that when I reach Islington I am entering a foreign country.

But paradoxically when I get to Watford Gap I feel I am out of London's gravity well and feel a sense of release.

I admit I tend to conflate Great Britain and the United Kingdom. Though I think the former is more of a cultural term and the latter is more about actual political boundaries.

No one really makes a distinction between the terms in normal usage.

Even in Northern Ireland, at least among those of a certain political persuasion, a common refrain is "Ulster is British", which is perhaps more snappy than "Ulster is a key constituent part of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland" :D

the full name of the UK is The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

Which is the longest country name in the world. That certainly puts the Great in The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and makes up for any other failings real or imagined!

We're still #1. Take that other countries of the world! Know your place in the shadow :cool: