• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The UK...For Our US Members

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
What is the difference between the UK, Great Britain, and England?

I don't recall learning this school, but I slept through much of the first 10 grades and may have been "distracted" in the last two years.

In my experience, some of us on this side of the pond conflate these, but there is a difference.

The UK consists of England, Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland. Each is its own country, but part of the Kingdom. The Republic of Ireland is not a part of the UK.

Great Britain consists of all of these except Northern Ireland.

England is a country that is a part of Great Britain and the UK.

If you guys already knew this, I'll gladly accept that I'm the one that remained in ignorance as a result of my own doing and move on. But if there are others out there like me, it's a PSA.

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
Great Britain is the big island that contains England, Wales and Scotland

Ireland is the smaller island to the West of Great Britain where The Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland are

The United Kingdom spans both these islands, but not all of Ireland due to The Republic being a separate and independent country

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Great Britain is the big island that contains England, Wales and Scotland

Ireland is the smaller island to the West of Great Britain where The Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland are

The United Kingdom spans both these islands, but not all of Ireland due to The Republic being a separate and independent country
Thanks for confirming. I'm not sure if the specifics are not taught here or if I just missed them.

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
Thanks for confirming. I'm not sure if the specifics are not taught here or if I just missed them.
The actual state is called The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

Before Ireland broke away and became independent it was called The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland

If you look at the flag it contains the flag of England, the flag of Scotland, and one of the flags traditionally used to represent Ireland

But Wales is not represented on the flag of the UK

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
comprehension would have at the time required me paying attention to a map of an area of the world that I did not particularly care about, except in as much as parts of it were key to defeating the Nazi's during WWII. I'm sure that for a test I learned the difference, but I'm not sure how long it stayed with me. I rather think I had to rediscover these facts at intervals throughout my life...

rocala

OK, Salix time for lesson 2.
A fact that many are unaware of is that the island of Jersey, the Bailiwick of Guernsey, which includes the islands of Herm, Sark, and Alderney along with Guernsey, and the Isle of Man are not part of the U.K. although their people are British citizens. They are Crown dependencies. These islands along with the U.K. are known collectively as the British Islands. Not to be confused with the British Isles.

Last edited:

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Having been the guest of a Welsh patriot during a visit and been treated to seeing a castle where the "valiant Welsh" sadly lost to the English invaders, the lesson that England is not the UK was emphasized. "Great Britain" did not come up but if it had, I would have been treated to a discourse on how the Welsh were NOT "British".

Last edited:

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
Having been the guest of a Welsh patriot during a visit and been treated to seeing a castle where the "valiant Welsh" sadly lost to the English invaders, the lesson that England is not the UK. "Great Britain" did not come up but if it had, I would have been treated to a discourse on how the Welsh were NOT "British".

It has been said that the Welsh were the original Brits,I like Britain though,my neighbour was in the Black watch,my Rugby coach was Welsh and I’ve I’ve shared the crack in both parts of paddy land.

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
Another fact about the UK - although the currency of the UK comes in pounds and pence with there being one-hundred pence in a pound the actual currency is called Sterling

A pound (£) is a measurement of Sterling

Although the currency is often referred to as "Pound Sterling" or as "GBP" it is actually called "Sterling"

Most people don't know that and think it's simply called "the pound"

Before 1971 the currency wasn't decimal

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
1702163941392.png

Britain.​

Rachel Rugelach

Shalom, y'all.
Staff member
Premium Member
Another fact about the UK - although the currency of the UK comes in pounds and pence with there being one-hundred pence in a pound the actual currency is called Sterling

A pound (£) is a measurement of Sterling

Although the currency is often referred to as "Pound Sterling" or as "GBP" it is actually called "Sterling"

Most people don't know that and think it's simply called "the pound"

Before 1971 the currency wasn't decimal

Speaking of UK currency... I'm reminded of something I learned in England (and still makes me laugh): The expression "spend a penny" means to go to the toilet. The expression came about because in the old-timey days it cost a penny to use a public toilet.

(I figure you already know this, @Eddi, but I thought I'd share it with others here. :D )

HonestJoe

If you guys already knew this, I'll gladly accept that I'm the one that remained in ignorance as a result of my own doing and move on. But if there are others out there like me, it's a PSA.
Don't feel bad. In my experience, many Americans are ignorant of this kind of thing (often about the US, let alone anywhere else) and plenty of Brits don't know (or care) about the specifics regarding the UK.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
It was on all the tins back in the day... :D
Yes, and I was aware of England's conquests, either by my formal education or my own study, but it's becoming increasingly clear that students in the US were, for whatever reason, kept in ignorance of the present day environment.

It disappoints me that I even had to create this thread.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Yes, and I was aware of England's conquests, either by my formal education or my own study, but it's becoming increasingly clear that students in the US were, for whatever reason, kept in ignorance of the present day environment.

It disappoints me that I even had to create this thread.
My biggest peeve is when people conflate Europe and the European Union.

PureX

Veteran Member
I admit I tend to conflate Great Britain and the United Kingdom. Though I think the former is more of a cultural term and the latter is more about actual political boundaries.

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
I admit I tend to conflate Great Britain and the United Kingdom. Though I think the former is more of a cultural term and the latter is more about actual political boundaries.
A lot of people do and I think you are right

I think such a confusion is in part due to a thing that is of the United Kingdom being said to be "British"

Many find this confusing and don't know that the full name of the UK is The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland which is why a thing from there is said to be "British" even though the UK is more than just Britain