• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

the true merits of the vajrayana path .

Deva758

What is good about it? There is an aesthetic aspect to it that was lacking in other forms of Buddhism. Not that I studied a lot of them - what happened was that the Tibetan Dharma center was closer to my home than the others! Anyway, I wanted to explore the doctrine of emptiness. I asked the lama and he said it is realized in meditation, so I am working on it myself in my own peculiar way, within the outlines of the preliminary practices. The blessings of the lineage, the empowerments, the beauty of the ceremonies are special for me. I can't really explain it. I am on board with Buddhist philosophy and I also like Zen very much, but I am not so austere in my imagination. All this is pretty intangible, I know.

ratikala

Istha gosthi
dear deva ,

What is good about it? There is an aesthetic aspect to it that was lacking in other forms of Buddhism. Not that I studied a lot of them - what happened was that the Tibetan Dharma center was closer to my home than the others! Anyway, I wanted to explore the doctrine of emptiness. I asked the lama and he said it is realized in meditation, so I am working on it myself in my own peculiar way, within the outlines of the preliminary practices. The blessings of the lineage, the empowerments, the beauty of the ceremonies are special for me. I can't really explain it. I am on board with Buddhist philosophy and I also like Zen very much, but I am not so austere in my imagination. All this is pretty intangible, I know.

no not intangible at all , I often used to feel that particular traditions and practices came about through our different needs , some people thrive by the practice of the ritual elements others by philosopical study alone but for one with a vivid imagination and enquiring mind the visualisation practices within vajrayana become very powerfull .

however in vajrayana I found all three aspects combined , .... yes I can appreciate most schools of thought but vajrayana is particularly special to me .

Shuddhasattva

The line about austere imaginations I found interesting, as I am not sure that mahamudra/dzogchen are meant to cultivate either ornate mind or austere mind.

Deva758

dear deva ,

no not intangible at all , I often used to feel that particular traditions and practices came about through our different needs , some people thrive by the practice of the ritual elements others by philosopical study alone but for one with a vivid imagination and enquiring mind the visualisation practices within vajrayana become very powerfull .

however in vajrayana I found all three aspects combined , .... yes I can appreciate most schools of thought but vajrayana is particularly special to me .

Thank you! I appreciate your reading my post and it seems like you do understand!:yes:

I think sometimes I have a hard time expressing myself.

Deva758

I don't think that Buddhism was meant to cultivate either an austere or an elaborate aesthetic. The minimalist surroundings of Zen vs. the very ornate surroundings of the Vajrayana are mostly a result of the culture that Buddhism found itself in. Its just that they are different and not that one is better than another.

The advantages of Buddhism are many. At its heart, Buddhism is about the mind and sorting out consciousness. By "sorting out consciousness" I mean looking at your own mind and resolving the conflict. Or, perhaps meditation resolves the conflict. Its emphasis is on compassion and the interconnectedness of everything. Its not about Gods and help from the outside, except in the Vajaryana we do have Bodhisattvas, which are all about helping.

I would just like to say that when it comes to Buddhism, I find myself very much dismayed when I see people saying others aren't really Buddhists. I don't find it at the Dharma center that I attend, but I often find it online in forums. To me, being sectarian in relation to Buddhism doesn't make any sense, especially in the Vajrayana (which I know best), where we have termas (revealed teachings) and literally millions of Buddhas.

I am an escapee of fundamentalist Christianity. It brings me down no end to see it is also in Buddhism.

Last edited:

SageTree

Spiritual Friend
Premium Member
Fundamentalism is ubiquitous.

But be careful with that word, because you are also asserting things you feel are fundamental to the path.

As with all things, it's in the intention.
And there are fundamentalist good in Buddhism too, like the Noble Truths and Eightfold Path.

;)

SageTree

Spiritual Friend
Premium Member
You are right, Sage Tree, its a loaded word. I probably shouldn't have used it.

You'll find a compassionate word or cluster to express your frustration.
But rest easy in knowing I see that concern in the rest of what you said.

ratikala

Istha gosthi
namaskaram deva ji :namaste

I don't think that Buddhism was meant to cultivate either an austere or an elaborate aesthetic. The minimalist surroundings of Zen vs. the very ornate surroundings of the Vajrayana are mostly a result of the culture that Buddhism found itself in. Its just that they are different and not that one is better than another.

I dont even remember where it was writen but many many years back I remember reading buddhas instructions to his devotees , that they should go out and teach according to the minds of the people that they met , ....from this it is easy to see how various cultural forms of buddhism came about , so we should not see contradiction , we should see that dharma is like medicine , and that concidering that culturaly the minds of people are very different different practices have evolved , ....but for some one to say '' 'my' medication is the only cure for sickness'' would be assuming that all sickness is the same , ....or that all delusions were alike .

The advantages of Buddhism are many. At its heart, Buddhism is about the mind and sorting out consciousness. By "sorting out consciousness" I mean looking at your own mind and resolving the conflict. Or, perhaps meditation resolves the conflict. Its emphasis is on compassion and the interconnectedness of everything. Its not about Gods and help from the outside, except in the Vajaryana we do have Bodhisattvas, which are all about helping.
no it is not about help from gods , but there is very much a receiving of blessings , .... to many buddhists this is a very important part of practice .

I would just like to say that when it comes to Buddhism, I find myself very much dismayed when I see people saying others aren't really Buddhists. I don't find it at the Dharma center that I attend, but I often find it online in forums. To me, being sectarian in relation to Buddhism doesn't make any sense, especially in the Vajrayana (which I know best), where we have termas (revealed teachings) and literally millions of Buddhas.

A buddhist is one who takes refuge in buddha , dharma and sangha , (or refuge in the literaly millions of buddhas :)) , ....and only we can judge as to whether our refuge is sincere , no no no one can say except one self , ....

I am an escapee of fundamentalist Christianity. It brings me down no end to see it is also in Buddhism.

what brings me down is people telling me what I can and can not think ! ... but then I smile and think ...so what :) , .. it is between buddha and me . but some times I think shame we cant discuss without it becoming sectarian , ...but then I think to my self never mind , buddhas please bless everyones minds :) , ...then there are those who insist that buddhas dont exist ? ...so they cant bless our minds ? .... Oh , but then I think thank goodnes I am mad because I am convinced that their blessings have realy made the most profound difference to my life :)

plese my freind never feel down , take refuge and reflect on the great kindness of all the buddhas throughout time:namaste

ratikala

Istha gosthi
jai jai sage ji:namaste

As with all things, it's in the intention.
And there are fundamentalist good in Buddhism too, like the Noble Truths and Eightfold Path.

;)

I like it , .... fundament al good :D

jai jai sage is blessed I am sure of that :namaste

Deva758

Ratikala: Thank you for that post! I think there are 84,000 doors to the Dharma. I came out of a very restrictive religion and I just have some issues. The "f" word was used as a stick to beat people, as in "My way is the only correct way."

I totally agree about the receiving of blessings. It is a very real thing to me.

I am not optimistic by nature, but since I found the Dharma I am much better off. There are many, many Buddhas and Bodhisattvas "out there" to help us.