• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The true identity of Jesus

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Don't get me started on the Trinity. I was recently reading a book about the Council of Nicea, and nearly yelled "Of course! The only thing that could come up with that would be a committee!"
What was the book called? I've been looking for a good one on that topic. Would you recommend the one you were reading?

J Bryson

What was the book called? I've been looking for a good one on that topic. Would you recommend the one you were reading?

Our Unitarian Heritage by Earl Morse Wilbur. The early Unitarians and the current Unitarian Universalists would find little in common with each other, but the early days of the movement, and the theology involved, show remarkable similarities to certain LDS perspectives on the nature of God. You might find it interesting, though the Council only takes up part of a single chapter.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Our Unitarian Heritage by Earl Morse Wilbur. The early Unitarians and the current Unitarian Universalists would find little in common with each other, but the early days of the movement, and the theology involved, show remarkable similarities to certain LDS perspectives on the nature of God. You might find it interesting, though the Council only takes up part of a single chapter.
Thanks! It sounds interesting. You know, it's funny, but I've had an interest in comparative religion (primarily the various Christian denominations) since I was about twelve years old. We had a little book called, "Do Men Believed What Their Churches Prescribe?" There was a chart of beliefs in the back of the book that was a pretty comprehensive overview of the major Christian denominations and their doctrines. It was a pretty old book, but at any rate, it included Unitarian Universalists. I can remember telling my mom that if I weren't a Mormon, I'd be a Unitarian.

Fatihah

Don't get me started on the Trinity. I was recently reading a book about the Council of Nicea, and nearly yelled "Of course! The only thing that could come up with that would be a committee!"

Response: Right. It was from the council of Nicea that the trinity concept came into play. Here's another interesting fact as well. The closest statement of trinity in the bible is in 1John 5:7 where it says "For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one". But in the revised standard version of the bible in 1952, 32 scholars of the highest eminence, backed by 50 cooperating denominations threw it out as a fabrication. The scholars of christianity discovered that the verse was an interpolation. But the vast majority of the christian world did not like the idea that it was tooken out and began to protest the bible and reject it so in 1971 it was restored back into to text and is still there today. This goes to show that the scholars of christianity know the truth but refuse to teach it simply due to popular demand.

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
Response: But what specifically makes Jesus the only begotten son and not others? Why is it that all the prophets are not considered as the begotten sons of God as well? Why only Jesus?

Biblically speaking...not sure he was the "only"...the bible mentions a lot of God's sons and some he called "begotten"....

Some will tell you otherwise but their own bible shows the biblical Yeshua existed in heaven before his god sent him to earth.

dogsgod

Biblically speaking...not sure he was the "only"...the bible mentions a lot of God's sons and some he called "begotten"....

Some will tell you otherwise but their own bible shows the biblical Yeshua existed in heaven before his god sent him to earth.

Yes, the first begotten Son was in the Jewish ancient literature.

According to Philo:

The Logos is the first-begotten Son of the Uncreated Father: "For the Father of the universe has caused him to spring up as the eldest son, whom, in another passage, he [Moses] calls the first-born; and he who is thus born, imitating the ways of his father, has formed such and such species, looking to his archetypal patterns" (Conf. 63).

Last edited:

justamere10

Jesus is God, Jesus is the Son of God, Jesus is one of a trinity, Jesus is a prophet, Jesus is a muslim, Jesus is a myth, etc.

There are so many different views as to the understanding of the one known as Jesus. So what is the true identity of Jesus? Let's have a dialogue.
It is my belief that the spirit body of Jesus Christ was created/organized by the same Heavenly Parent (God the Father) who created the spirit bodies that animate and integrate the physical bodies of every human being.

I believe too that the same God the Father was the father of the physical body of Jesus as well. Jesus was God the Father's only begotten in the flesh. (But was just one of billions of spirit children, though he was God the Father's firstborn in the spirit.)

Prior to the creation of this world Jesus was already serving as one of three members of the Godhead, with God the Father at the head. The other member we call the "Holy Ghost" or "Holy Spirit."

Jesus was "Jehovah" the God of the Old Testament.

The mortal mission of Jesus Christ in addition to teaching and being an example of righteous living was to take upon himself and atone for the sins of all mankind. Because he fulfilled that mission perfectly every human being will eventually be resurrected, meaning that vital parts of the physical bodies they had on earth will be permanently melded with their spirit bodies.

Also, because of the atonement of Jesus Christ it is possible for every human being to enjoy eternal progression and to associate even with God the Father in the next life.

Those things I believe to be true.

Who is Jesus Christ: http://jesuschrist.lds.org/SonOfGod/eng/his-life-and-teachings/articles/who-is-jesus-christ

Last edited:

Freelancer7

Jesus, the spirit of prophecy (according to the alpha-omega angel in revelations), the father possibly the spirit of truth but not the creator of the universe.

Fatihah

It is my belief that the spirit body of Jesus Christ was created/organized by the same Heavenly Parent (God the Father) who created the spirit bodies that animate and integrate the physical bodies of every human being.

I believe too that the same God the Father was the father of the physical body of Jesus as well. Jesus was God the Father's only begotten in the flesh. (But was just one of billions of spirit children, though he was God the Father's firstborn in the spirit.)

Response: So if someone (the Father) created Jesus than Jesus is not God, right?

justamere10

Response: So if someone (the Father) created Jesus than Jesus is not God, right?
I do not bow down to the dictates of the 4th and 5th century Nicene scholars. Their conclusions about the nature of God that they arrrived at by argument and consensus (e.g. God is "incomprehensible") were not taught by the Savior, nor by his Apostles.

In my belief the "Godhead" consists of three persons: God the Father, Jesus Christ, and the Holy Spirit.

Yes, Jesus is God, including being Jehovah the god of the Old Testament and creator of this planet. But he is not God the Father whom he prayed to often during his mortal ministry.

God the Father, Jesus, and the Holy Ghost are one in purpose to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of all of God's children.

Fatihah

I do not bow down to the dictates of the 4th and 5th century Nicene scholars. Their conclusions about the nature of God that they arrrived at by argument and consensus (e.g. God is "incomprehensible") were not taught by the Savior, nor by his Apostles.

In my belief the "Godhead" consists of three persons: God the Father, Jesus Christ, and the Holy Spirit.

Yes, Jesus is God, including being Jehovah the god of the Old Testament and creator of this planet. But he is not God the Father whom he prayed to often during his mortal ministry.

God the Father, Jesus, and the Holy Ghost are one in purpose to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of all of God's children.

Response: So there is three Gods? And if the Father created Jesus, than how is Jesus God? God is uncreated and yet Jesus was created.

Freelancer7

The Spirit of the Father, the Spirit of Truth, The Spirit of the Son, the Spirit of Prophecy, The Holy Spirit, Beautiful Radiant Feminine Spirit, but then again, you wood not want to **** her off.