• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The thief on the cross: The rule or the exception?

e.r.m.

Church of Christ

Sennacherib thought as much.
(NASB)2 Kings 19:17-19, 35-37
"Truly, O LORD, the kings of Assyria have devastated the nations and their lands [18] and have cast their gods into the fire, for they were not gods but the work of men''s hands, wood and stone. So they have destroyed them. [19] "Now, O LORD our God, I pray, deliver us from his hand that all the kingdoms of the earth may know that You alone, O LORD, are God." [35] Then it happened that night that the angel of the LORD went out and struck 185,000 in the camp of the Assyrians; and when men rose early in the morning, behold, all of them were dead. [36] So Sennacherib king of Assyria departed and returned home, and lived at Nineveh. [37] It came about as he was worshiping in the house of Nisroch his god, that Adrammelech and Sharezer killed him with the sword; and they escaped into the land of Ararat And Esarhaddon his son became king in his place.

e.r.m.

Church of Christ

Sennacherib thought as much.

(NASB)2 Kings 19:17-19, 35-37
"Truly, O LORD, the kings of Assyria have devastated the nations and their lands [18] and have cast their gods into the fire, for they were not gods but the work of men''s hands, wood and stone. So they have destroyed them. [19] "Now, O LORD our God, I pray, deliver us from his hand that all the kingdoms of the earth may know that You alone, O LORD, are God." [35] Then it happened that night that the angel of the LORD went out and struck 185,000 in the camp of the Assyrians; and when men rose early in the morning, behold, all of them were dead. [36] So Sennacherib king of Assyria departed and returned home, and lived at Nineveh. [37] It came about as he was worshiping in the house of Nisroch his god, that Adrammelech and Sharezer killed him with the sword; and they escaped into the land of Ararat And Esarhaddon his son became king in his place.

Last edited:

waitasec

Veteran Member
are you suggesting that all cultures around the world are wrong because they do not adhere to your christian dogma?

it is an arrogant notion to suggest that your particular region, which so happens to be christian, is the right world view while the hindu or the islamist say the same thing about theirs...

show me something that will make your faith stand out, don't be like the rest of them, if indeed your are so special

waitasec

Veteran Member
Because they deny.
it's presumptuous to say "deny" because you have made a judgement a judgment you can not even begin to understand if you are not wearing the shoes of those who cannot for the life of them understand your world view, and because they don't understand they "deny"...
i call that a convenient disclaimer...nothing new nothing that would make your faith stand out from the rest of the other monotheistic faiths around the world.

fail.

e.r.m.

Church of Christ
Hezekiah was not arrogant.
I did not say every non-christian alive denys Christ as Lord. But many religions deny that Jesus is Lord as in Acts 2:36.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Hezekiah was not arrogant.
I did not say every non-christian alive denys Christ as Lord. But many religions deny that Jesus is Lord as in Acts 2:36.

Even among professed Christians, Matthew chapter 7 shows 'many' are only Christian 'in name only'.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Right. One thing I am aware of is that until I think, the mid 19th century, days began at noon, not midnight. But even so, that wouldn't change the fact that Jesus dieing on a Friday [as the gospels say], and rising on 'the sabbath', would still make '3 days' wrong whether you take the Hebrew sabbath, or the Christian one. .

The Hebrew days began at Sunset.
Jesus died on Friday afternoon and their Sabbath [Saturday] would began at Sundown.

Friday afternoon was called Preparation because people prepared meals that can not wait until after the Sabbath [Saturday].

That particular Sabbath was not just a regular Sabbath [7th day of the week] but was called a 'double Sabbath' because that particular Sabbath fell on the first day of the 7-day Festival of Unfermented Cakes.

The day after Jesus death on Friday was a Saturday.
Early Sunday morning the tomb is found empty.

Counting his death happening on Friday is part of that one day.
Jesus being dead on Saturday is a whole day dead.
Jesus being resurrected on Sunday is the third day.

waitasec

Veteran Member
emphasis mine.

:rolleyes:

you said:
There are more people alive today that deny Jesus is Lord than those who accept it.

let me explain to you what i think you mean by deny:
refusing to admit to the truth.

why do you suppose people who live in a different culture then yours don't understand jesus as you do? because they deny it, really?

you understand you failed to explain your usage of "deny" with nothing substantial, only your assumption based on absolutely no evidence...

waitasec

Veteran Member
The Hebrew days began at Sunset.
Jesus died on Friday afternoon and their Sabbath [Saturday] would began at Sundown.

Friday afternoon was called Preparation because people prepared meals that can not wait until after the Sabbath [Saturday].

That particular Sabbath was not just a regular Sabbath [7th day of the week] but was called a 'double Sabbath' because that particular Sabbath fell on the first day of the 7-day Festival of Unfermented Cakes.

The day after Jesus death on Friday was a Saturday.
Early Sunday morning the tomb is found empty.

Counting his death happening on Friday is part of that one day.
Jesus being dead on Saturday is a whole day dead.
Jesus being resurrected on Sunday is the third day.
bzzzzzzzzzt...wrong
matthew 12:40 contradicts this

For as Jonah was three days and three nights in the belly of a huge fish, so the Son of Man will be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.

try 2 nights...

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
do not judge lest ye be judged...

Isn't God's judgment already recorded in Scripture for all to see ?

Jesus was talking about personal Judgment of another.
[Matthew 7v1; Luke 6v37; John 7v24; Isaiah 11v3; 1st Samuel 16v7]

We would Not want to impute a wrong or bad motive to another.

By what judgment did Jesus judge the money changers in the temple?

waitasec

Veteran Member
Isn't God's judgment already recorded in Scripture for all to see ?

Jesus was talking about personal Judgment of another.
[Matthew 7v1; Luke 6v37; John 7v24; Isaiah 11v3; 1st Samuel 16v7]
and what did you imply when you said:
Even among professed Christians, Matthew chapter 7 shows 'many' are only Christian 'in name only'.
looks like you're on the right side of gods judgment...go figure

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
bzzzzzzzzzt...wrong
matthew 12:40 contradicts this
For as Jonah was three days and three nights in the belly of a huge fish, so the Son of Man will be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.
try 2 nights...

...and how long was Jonah [3 days and 3 nights] in the fish's belly ?
Three full days and nights each or just a part of some days ?
Jonah [1v17] does not give exact time details.

Jesus died their Friday. End of Friday would be a night.
Saturday covered both day and night.
Early Sunday morning would still be night because still being dark.

Matthew continues at Matthew [27vs63,64]....after three days I [Jesus] will rise.... The command was that the tomb be made secure: until the third day.
[Friday: day one, Saturday: day two, Sunday: day three or the third day]

Matthew [28v1] In the end or after the Sabbath ended [Saturday]
as it began to dawn toward the first day of their week would be Sunday.
Mark also mentions [16v2] very early in the morning [dawn]
of the first day [Sunday].

Luke [23 vs54-56; 24v1] mentions the women rested on the Sabbath until the first day [Sunday] very early in the morning.....

John [19v14] Friday preparation.....and about the 6th hour
Verses 31,43 that Sabbath was a high day [Great Sabbath]- Lev 23 vs4-8]
John [20v1] first day [Sunday] early while yet dark......[night]

waitasec

Veteran Member
...and how long was Jonah [3 days and 3 nights] in the fish's belly ?
Three full days and nights each or just a part of some days ?
Jonah [1v17] does not give exact time details.

Jesus died their Friday. End of Friday would be a night.
Saturday covered both day and night.
Early Sunday morning would still be night because still being dark.

Matthew continues at Matthew [27vs63,64]....after three days I [Jesus] will rise.... The command was that the tomb be made secure: until the third day.
[Friday: day one, Saturday: day two, Sunday: day three or the third day]

Matthew [28v1] In the end or after the Sabbath ended [Saturday]
as it began to dawn toward the first day of their week would be Sunday.
Mark also mentions [16v2] very early in the morning [dawn]
of the first day [Sunday].

Luke [23 vs54-56; 24v1] mentions the women rested on the Sabbath until the first day [Sunday] very early in the morning.....

John [19v14] Friday preparation.....and about the 6th hour
Verses 31,43 that Sabbath was a high day [Great Sabbath]- Lev 23 vs4-8]
John [20v1] first day [Sunday] early while yet dark......[night]

are you arguing with me or jesus?